Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oem hid headlight install & wiring on gsr non-hid evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oem hid headlight install & wiring on gsr non-hid evo 9

Hey, I have a EVO 9 GSR w/ non-hid headlights and my friend gave me his OEM EVO 9 SE HID headlights and I was wondering if you could help me find out what I need to do to have these work on my car. Also, what parts are needed to be purchased to make it happen so I can have hid lights for my low beams and be able to use the oem fog lights that I didn't have. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in knowing this as well.

*bump*
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

I'm am also looking into this. Anybody had any experience?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:30 PM

i donno for sure. it should work if you know how to run the power. the unit should come with everything you need. but if you know need/use it let me know. pm me..i can make an offer u can't refuse.

Cheers

VinDi
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:15 PM

Bump, i wanna know as well
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have done this conversion.

You'll need different plugs (pig tails) or the complete front harness for the HID lights. You could also cut off the HID plugs and just splice the wires together.

I was lucky enough to find some HID pigtails from a wrecked HID car. I used those and also added a relay with thicker wire since the stock non HID wire was a thinner gauge than the HID pig tail wire. Just need basic electrical skills to find which wire goes where.

Evo 8 and Evo 9 have the same plugs so if you find a wrecked 8, you could use the pig tails.

Edit:
More info:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...id-w-fogs.html
I didn't do the same wiring with 2 relays but it will give you an idea.

Last edited by rodent; Apr 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:27 PM

Heres my situation..i have an IX gsr..came with no HIDs, just halogens...i bought off from another member IX headlights that came equipped with HIDs w/ fogs, bulbs, ballast, and also i got both the leveling switch and fog light button...what do i need to make these work?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s7krew
Heres my situation..i have an IX gsr..came with no HIDs, just halogens...i bought off from another member IX headlights that came equipped with HIDs w/ fogs, bulbs, ballast, and also i got both the leveling switch and fog light button...what do i need to make these work?

Option 1- buy the entire front engine harness from wrecked Evo with HID or dealer.

Option 2- Wire it yourself. Its not hard if you know the basics of wiring and relays. Fogs will have to be done on a separate switch/relay that you will have to add. Forget about the leveling switch unless you're really savvy with electrical components.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by rodent
Option 1- buy the entire front engine harness from wrecked Evo with HID or dealer.

Option 2- Wire it yourself. Its not hard if you know the basics of wiring and relays. Fogs will have to be done on a separate switch/relay that you will have to add. Forget about the leveling switch unless you're really savvy with electrical components.

Damn, option 1 i hear it costs a lot for the front engine harness

Option 2 i have no experience wiring at all...sigh
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s7krew
Damn, option 1 i hear it costs a lot for the front engine harness

Option 2 i have no experience wiring at all...sigh
Yeah, a used engine harness normally gets 200-300. A stereo installer or auto shop could possibly do it but you're probably looking at paying him the same amount. This is where its good to know other Evo owners in your area and maybe offer a 12 pack to someone thats knows electrical stuff. Ask around.

I drive both of my HID's off of one heavy duty relay. I still need to wire up my fogs.

Last edited by rodent; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:42 AM

Yeah, a used engine harness normally gets 200-300. A stereo installer or auto shop could possibly do it but you're probably looking at paying him the same amount. This is where its good to know other Evo owners in your area and maybe offer a 12 pack to someone thats knows electrical stuff. Ask around.

I drive both of my HID's off of one heavy duty relay. I still need to wire up my fogs.
Thanks rodent, i think i may just buy the engine harness...i'd need to buy an MR engine harness or SE harness correct?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, if you have a IX, I would assume that harness is different than an VIII. So you basically want a harness from an IX that had HID. So MR, SE, SSL. I have never replaced the front harness so I'm not sure what's involved. I would think the fuse box would be included. Maybe someone else can chime in on replacing that harness.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to bring back an old thread but... the oem/jdm hid headlight housing has the hid ballast plugged into the headlight's harness correct? and the whole headlight have just 1 port harness connection that connect to the car's harness side right?

that means the fog and high beam connection are two seperate plugs that comes from the car's harness right?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I think its in the harness itself but I'm not 100% sure.

Check out these threads.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...em-button.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l-control.html
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think its in the harness itself but I'm not 100% sure.

Check out these threads.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...em-button.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l-control.html
Sorry bumping this from the dead but will gsr headlight bulbs fit in a hid housing. Basically I have a ix gsr and I want to buy jdm evo ix headlight housings which are only hid but include nothing. I already have an aftermarket hid kit for my stock gsr bulb size. Will these fit inside the hid housings or can I just buy the oem his housing bulb size? I hope I worded this correctly lol.

Quick Reply: Oem hid headlight install & wiring on gsr non-hid evo 9