Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotime
will be the same Icy Diva ^ hopefully this solves your problem. If not, next meet I'm at I can have a look.
Perfect... I'm going to try it myself - hopefully I can get the headliner off and see what's going on up there... but if not, next meet we can try and figure this out.

Thanks so much
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by evoracing
Hey what's that misfire issue you were talking about. I think mine is doing the same thing. Kind of boggs down when you hit constant high speed for a little while? and the "service engine soon light" comes on? Let me know if this is the same thing. I need to get this fixed. Thanks.
im'd you
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:50 PM

wow this thread is amazing, my sunroof went out about a week after i bought mine (first week of september) and now my sunroof is finally fixed! fortunately mine was stuck closed so i didn't even think about it during winter
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoracing
I just did the write up and everything worked great. ALMOST? Ok the sunroof is doing the go all the way back and then go up 2 in at a time thing. Also it won't completely close! I can't seem to figure out why. I get close to the edge and then theres a loud kind of crack noise and it stops. Kind of like its at it's last resolution.Idk what to do? I had some questions while doing this but it seemed to be working fine until now. I need to know how do you get the motor in the fully open position. Mine just kept spinning never stopped. Also How long does it take for the computer to learn the resolutions and what do you have to do for it to learn it?

REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS I THINK THERE WILL BE RAIN SOON AND I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS FIXED.

Thanks
Davis

I have this same problem.

The sun roof opens and goes all the way back but if you dont let off it will keep trying to go back. If you try to make it go foward it just moves about 2 inches and stops so you have to click the switch foward again and again until it goes all the way forward.

Is this a motor issue or something else?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Friends EVO has this issue. I'll check it out. Thanks for the writeup!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
I have this same problem.

The sun roof opens and goes all the way back but if you dont let off it will keep trying to go back. If you try to make it go foward it just moves about 2 inches and stops so you have to click the switch foward again and again until it goes all the way forward.

Is this a motor issue or something else?
This is what I did. First time I tried to close it (BEFORE I put the headliner back in) it would not go all the way forward. From my earlier post . . . "Step 4 is key, make sure the motor is in the “full back” position and the sunroof, too. Mine jumped a few teeth and would not close all the way until I dropped the motor (reconnected the battery) and hit the sunroof open button (I did not use the alligator clip step – Didn’t seem to need to). Motor turned for about 3 seconds and stopped (i.e. What he said about programmed revolutions). I made sure the whole thing was working again before I put the headliner in (Which you really don’t need to take all the way out of the car) and disconnected the battery again for reassembly."
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:57 PM

Awesome!

My sunroof broke about a month after I bought my car. I went to the dealership and they said I needed a motor & "related parts" to make it operate. Estimate $1270.00!!!!

I followed the directions & my total cost was for 2 screws & some grip tight.

The directions (and tips from others) worked great!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Like you needed that $1270! ... btw isn't a 2003 Evo an Evo VIII
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:06 PM

Yup, you're right....show's how well i proof read...darn typos...all fixed now
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:37 PM

Yesterday, mine made a grinding noise when I went to open it. It stopped half way. I hit the switch again and it went all the way back with the motor rotating non stop. After about 3 min of the motor turning, it finaly stopped. Its been in the twentys here at night and in the mornings so I needed to close the sun roof. I was able to pull it closed by hand, but it was tough. I hit the switch to see if I could close it correctly by using the motor, but it propped open in the tilt positition. Rain was in the forecast so I was hoping I could find some info on this site.

Thanks Cajun, for the nice right up. I followed the steps and sure enough two screws rolled out when I lowered the liner. I removed the motor and hit the switch to open so the motor could find the open position. I thought that after so many revs, the motor would stop, but it kept turning. As long as I pressed the switch to open, the motor would turn. I then tried to move the roof glass to the full open positon. I could not move the sunroof out of that tilt open positon. I didnt want to break or bend anything. With the motor still out, I hit the switch to the closed position for about seven seconds the pushed the switch to match the open tilt position.

I installed the motor with locktight on the screws . I hit the switch to close the roof and it closed. We have rain coming so I dont want to mess with it until these rains pass. I will test this weekend and report back.

Thanks again for this info.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so thanks to this guide I saved a boat load of money t=but the problem I have is trying to re-initialize the sunroof. Its in Initialization status now (confirmed by the sunroof inching forward every few inches) but I can't get it to get out of initialization after getting it to the desired closing point. I hold it for 3 seconds but it never kicks out of initialization mode. What am I doing wrong?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Ok so thanks to this guide I saved a boat load of money t=but the problem I have is trying to re-initialize the sunroof. Its in Initialization status now (confirmed by the sunroof inching forward every few inches) but I can't get it to get out of initialization after getting it to the desired closing point. I hold it for 3 seconds but it never kicks out of initialization mode. What am I doing wrong?

I'm with this guy, been dealing with it for a month now. tried reseting the motor several times when I had it apart and saw on here where someone said it would relear itself. maybe I did something wrong or my car is holding true to it's p.i.t.a. form
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

just got done with this. same situation, 2 screws had dropped out. easy fix if you follow the directions. If i could just clarify though:

once you drop the motor and make sure that the sunroof is all the way back, push the sunroof open button. This will put the motor to the proper position. Then re-install. Thanks for the wright up
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevetodd
I'm with this guy, been dealing with it for a month now. tried reseting the motor several times when I had it apart and saw on here where someone said it would relear itself. maybe I did something wrong or my car is holding true to it's p.i.t.a. form
I think the trick is, get the sunroof all the way back. Push the button to let the motor to get to the right position and put it all back together. I had to try several times and this worked.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ModifiedOne
Yeah, I've been having the same problem involving the sunroof switch. I mean, how are you supposed to let it learn? Is there any special sequence to it? Or do you just all-out, "back-and-forth" it until it starts working?

I even took a video of it because I was about to start my own thread if I couldn't find anything on this...

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=DSCF1131.flv

Im having the same issue as this guy. Im not going to take it to Mitsu just yet because I have a turbo and evo vii wing so they would think i was an evo vii cuz they are stupid. But If i put the window for the roof back all the way and press the button back it should relearn its self. I will try this but I think I already did and nothin. I just want to buy the damn motor and dont know the part number. Does anyone know. I did a search on the numbers that are on the motor and came up with a bunch of crap. Im taking the whole thing apart this weekend. Im peeved!

Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof