Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Used the instructions to get to my sunroof motor, my sunroof was stuck in the open position and would only close maybe 2 inches before stopping and not going any further. I had only 1 of the 3 screws drop off of my motor, so was still in place for the most part. What fixed mine was actually using a 4mm hex bit in the motor and manually closing the sunroof to the closed position. After doing this I was able to use the sunroof again normally. No idea how it got out of position like that, but works like a charm now.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just fixed mine in my 2003 evo. I found 2 of the three screws that mount the motor missing. One screw was in the liner but no sign of the third screw. I just pulled the rear lining down. gotta bend it some but worked for me. No need to remove whole liner. MOtor is above rear passengers head.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. Thank you Cajon Power.

For those folks with the tilt up and down, but no forward and back, that how it started for me. Eventually, it didn't work at all and I had two screws missing. I locktighted the new screws in. Ya, those viser clips were a baiatch, but I found that prying one side down, then twisting the screwdriver 90 degrees so the blade was vertical, made getting the other side of the visor clip out a breeze. Took a good 30 min to figure that out.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:01 AM

Ok so I'm having trouble getting the motor to relearn the open and close positions.. I've tried all the methods in this write up and can't get it to work normally and help
Old Jan 3, 2015, 05:22 PM

Worked great

Just have to thank Cajun for the great instructions. Followed them to the letter and out popped a bolt. Had to loosen the motor mounting bracket to get my finger behind so I could hold the loose nut while mounting the motor. I doubt if Mitsubishi would engineer the bracket to include a loose nut. That would be stupid. It probably broke free over the years. Used some Locktite so shouldn't have anymore problems. Sunroof works great now. At first my sunroof closed to about two inches from the fully closed position and stopped. Used Cajun Power's instructions and took it apart again and pushed the glass all the way back and then ran the motor open until it stopped. Then I remounted the motor and checked it. Sunroof works perfectly now. FYI. While everything was apart and open I disconnected each drain tube and blew in them to see if they were clogged. One side had a little resistance so glad I did it. I also used my electric leaf blower to blast out any leaves and such in the track area. Not too much there. Finally I ran a wire through the drain tube connection to make sure there wasn't any obstructions.

Last edited by Weathergeek; Jan 3, 2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Add on
Old Jun 6, 2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the tips

So my sunroof failed in the same way as most, and ended up stuck full open. When I pulled the headliner down, 2 screws rained down. Pulled the motor off, tried running the switch to full open, but didn't appear to do anything. Mounted the motor with all screws, had a single 1.5" advance to close, pushed to open fully, and the next close went all the way closed and then vent open. After that everything worked fine.

I used 2 screwdrivers to pop out the 3 rear button clips, I can see how a fork would work if the button post fits between the tines. I pulled both the B and C pillar covers loose (capturing each white grommet), and bent the C pillars down to allow the headliner past. The entire thing only took about 45 minutes, thanks to all the tips in this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 07:31 PM

This happened to me a while back. It turns out a screw was loose.

It only involved removing the liner from the rear but I would suggest being careful with your hands since it can get messy.

Haven't opened the sunroof since, anyone else? lol
Old May 31, 2016, 01:58 PM

I have a feeling im going to screw this up but im going for it..
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:28 AM

The instructions worked awesome! But now I feel like my sunroof isn't opening all the way. Can someone take a picture from inside the car and outside the car of the sunroof all the way open. The only other issue I'm having is the push to tilt option doesn't work but if I hold the sunroof open button it will tilt. Thanks in advance!
Old May 19, 2020, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 year old car with 197k on the clock. Had motor built recently with balance shaft delete and the torque solution rear dog bone motor mount. Few thousand miles later the screws fell out. Followed the instructions and this worked perfectly. Fortunately the Phillips bolts were up there still because they are an odd size. Added a little blue loctite. Headliner is a bit of a PITA. Otherwise not a bad job to DIY.

I didn't unplug the battery and after you remove the motor from the track, you can just slide the glass all the way open. Then turn the ignition on and run the motor to the full open position. Put the motor back with the bolts and everything worked perfect 👌