Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Trouble

hey everyone. I am having trouble with my 2000 Eclipse's sunroof. It has power and moves back and forth slowly (feels like it doesn't have much power). The main problem is that I have to manually push the back of the glass up (pop it up) for it to be ready to move backwards. When I press the button to initially pop it up, it won't do it all the way, if it does anything at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take it to the dealer
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:06 AM

One tip
Always push the roof to the rear, then cycle the motor to open before mounting. It may cycle a couple times, but it will adjust after 2-3 cycles. Works awesome, Excellent instructions. My son is in the marines and returning by Xmas... Evo ready to go young man...🍻cheers
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 PM

I have the issue that my moonroof goes up and down but the sunroof only slides back sometimes. Ive checked the motor and all the bolts are there and tight. Im really considering removing the entire unit
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:50 PM

i have to do this soon ... is there any links out there on how to do the suede headliner?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnievo8
i have to do this soon ... is there any links out there on how to do the suede headliner?
that would be sick!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Cajun great info worked out well!!!!
Old May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the information. It works on mine after spending 10 hours to figure out how to pull off 1 thing at a time. Only broke 1 clip of the seatbelt cover for the whole process.

Re-doing it will probably take me 1 hour.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:27 PM

well, here we are in June 2013 and you my friend just saved the day! great write up!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:15 AM

any help my motor has all three screws but my sun roof only tilts up and goes back down does not slide back!!!! Any suggestions??
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:38 PM

Did you ever find out what caused this? I'm dealing with the same problem
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I've realigned everything per this thread. But the sunroof won't tilt up properly. One side is higher than the other. It starts to go up even only then it skips a few teeth. Happens every time. Then upon opening the roof from there is skips like crazy. I'm thinking either the motors teeth are too worn or soemthing is causing some kind of resistance. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions before I start throwing parts at it?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:57 PM

Ran into problems with my roof the other day, jump on here and come across this thread - problem solved!

I found that all you need to do in order to have it function correctly after re-seating the pinion gear into the runners is ensure that you have the motor either opened or closed depending on how your glass is sitting. If your glass is fully open then use the button to open the mechanism before re-seating, if your glass is closed then ensure the mechanism is closed before re-seating it. Worked first time and I did the work with the glass closed.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:42 AM

sunroof

The same problem, but this weekend im going to work on it.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 07:06 PM

My first post after buying my Evo new in '05 and lurking here ever since.
Thanks, Cajun for the instructions! Several hours and a trip to the ER (don't ask) and the headliner is out. Great tip on the sun visor clips, by the way.
However, resetting the motor didn't solve the problem. Has anyone replaced or adjusted the guides? My roof makes a loud, metallic clonk on the right side near the back while opening and reaching the fully open position. I can also move the right side of the sunroof itself back and forth a couple of inches while the driver's side stays solid. Any advice on trouble shooting and/or replacing the guide(s) would be appreciated.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:38 PM

I know the OP is over 8 years old, but I have to post a huge thank you to the OP, Cajun Power.

After googling my problem I came across the OP, and holy ****, the exact same problem!

Followed OP instructions, and everything was fixed in under an hour.

Thanks a lot my friend!

Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof