Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

No Start, Fresh Engine...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start, Fresh Engine...

Hey all, not sure if this is the right spot for it but I'll give the run down. I just completed a bottom end build on my '06 Evo 9. The car was running and driving prior to pulling the engine. We attempted to do our first start over the weekend to no success and have spent about 10 hours checking things and making sure everything from the wiring harness was plugged in properly right back to making sure timing was correct, and here is what we've found...

Car cranks over, but not so much as a cough or a sound of it actually starting to start.

We have fuel, the whole way through. from fuel pump to rail to injectors spraying into the cylinders.

We have spark on every cylinder with spark plugs that are new from before pulling the engine ( replaced plugs and drove it around 2-3 times prior)

We have proper timing, confirmed once while the engine was out, once after it didn't start both with just timing marks, and we pulled the valve cover off once the engine was inside as well and reconfirmed cam to crank position to make sure we weren't 180 degrees off and sparking on the wrong stroke.

We checked to make sure crank position sensor was not installed backwards as apparently this is a common mistake, and we also checked to make sure we were receiving a signal from the crank position sensor.

We did the same for cam position sensor and made sure we were receiving signal.

We do not believe an immobilizer to be the cause, as to my understanding it would cut fueling or spark, however this is just a thought and an unconfirmed theory.

Our Compression is low (30-30-60-75 on first compression test while looking for a diagnosis), however speaking to a few engine builders locally this is normal on a brand new build and it would take a heat cycle and putting miles on the car to seat the rings and raise compression so I was told by them not to worry about it and to look elsewhere for causes.

At this point I'm not too sure what else to look for, a scanner for live data as far as I know would require the car to be running to see anything, and we are also waiting for a tactrix cable still to hook up to evoscan and to see if an immobilizer is active through etacs.

This was strictly a bottom end build, so everything else on the car was existing prior, no further parts were upgraded. The head was disassembled not by us for new valve seals, and at the same time had the valves re-lapped however i don't see this being an issue.

We have tried spraying brake cleaner through the intake instead of gas with the same thing, not so much as a cough from the engine. If there is any other info that i should be providing or if there is anything else i can check I'm all ears.

Thanks! -Drex
Old Jul 12, 2021, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Id check cam timing again. Thise compression numbers are bad even for a new engine.

Also make sure lifters arent hanging valves open