Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will gasoline break down teflon tape?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will gasoline break down teflon tape?

I'm going to be threading in my fuel pressure sender today, and wanted to add something to the connection to seal it up properly. The guy at Advanced said Teflon tape would be fine, and wouldn't break down b/c of the gasoline exposure.

Anyone know for sure? Last thing I want is some teflon pieces clogging up my injectors
Old May 4, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

yes. gasonline will break down the tape, it wont break down the teflon itself, but will break down the bond holding the teflon together. trust me on this, im a plastics engineer and deal with these kinds of situations all the time. your best bet is to go get some silicone sealer.

however, if it is on the threads, it should not get gas on it, but i wouldnt take a chance.
Old May 4, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

I thought that was the case, but wanted to double check. Thx for the quick response

Any particular type of silicone sealer I should look for? I have some that says its oil/antifreeze proof, but doesn't mention gasoline. I even looked around @ Advanced for some sealer that specifically said gasoline proof, but couldn't find any.
Old May 4, 2004, 06:17 PM

As a mechanical seal engineer that works with nasty chemicals, I would think the teflon tape is better suited for gas than silicone. I don't think silicone o-rings are good is gas, never mind a silicone adhesive.
Old May 4, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

well, like i said, inside the seal, it should never touch gas, in which case teflon is your best bet becuase it is clean and seals well. but gasoline is made up of 2 perticularly teflon breaking down components, benzene and cycloalkenes. benzene will dissolve the coherent bond of teflon and aluminum, and the alkenes will break down the chemical bond,y ou will be left with a white goo.
Old May 5, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't have to use anything to seal the connection. Fuel pressure on a modern fuel injected car is pretty high. The fuel line parts on most modern cars (and aftermarket parts you buy for EFI systems) are made to self seal when properly threaded and torqued.

SC~
Old May 5, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Thx again everyone for all the replies. The port I'm connecting the pressure sender to is actually on the Pruven fuel gauge adaptor they sell. I first tried it without any type of sealant and it appeared to leak slightly where the sender was threaded into the top. I'd prefer to seal it up somehow and avoid ignighting my engine
Old May 5, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

From a personal use, I have been using teflon on npt pipe fitting 1/8" to 1/2" on race cars for 20 years. If it is indeed a pipe/taper thread you are trying to seal (not flair fitting) then teflon will work fine. You can also use a sovant safe "pipe dope" on the fitting, I use both the teflon tape and pipe dope. Nice thing with the pipe dope is it acts as a thread lock also. I am sure hte guys are correct in the facts of it will break down the tape but I have fuel fitting on several cars that are over 5 years old and no problems.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

just hope that which it breaks down doesn't clog one of your injectors...

bryan
Old May 5, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used teflon tape on a Mallory FPR with gauge and it worked well.
Old May 5, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I was a plumber for many years and used a lot of Teflon tape. What I've noticed is that if you ever take the fitting apart after using Teflon tape there will be a lot of fibers and small pieces where it was squeezed by the threads. It would be pretty hard to clean up the fitting completely and small parts might get into the system. The junk dosen't get into the system at first, only when you take it apart and then reuse the fitting after a second repair.
Old May 5, 2004, 09:36 PM

I have been using Teflon tape at work for years. I use it on pipes with plain water, soap, acid and gasoline. The only substance damaging to tape is acid- it brakes the tape apart in two weeks. Fittings on gasoline lines last perfectly between fuel filter changes, which are 3 month. But I would have to say that in a perfect world you should not have to use Teflon tape for sealing purposes. Stop at Ace or Pertek in your area and ask for proper gaskets. Teflon tape was designed for a quick, temporary fix and is mostly used for Teflon's non-stick properties (so you can come later, easily unscrew something and put a proper gasket).Nevertheless, I personally would not suggest use of a tape in high fuel pressure conditions. Water is one thing, but an accidental drop of gasoline anywhere in a hot engine bay
Old May 6, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

ive used teflon tape on fuel pump fittings before...........still holding fine no probs
Old May 6, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Permetex makes a specific sealer for gas and oil. Its by the RTV sealer in your auto store its in a similar tube exept its thinner and white.
You aply it sorta like c ontact cement its works great i just used it on ym fpr the other day
Old May 6, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Thx for the input everyone. liquid I'll have to check out my local shops to see if I can find that stuff

Quick Reply: Will gasoline break down teflon tape?