Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how often do you change your oils when you track

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
how often do you change your oils when you track

Just wondering how often do you change you TC, Gearbox, Engine oil and brake fluid when your tracking your car?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Fresh everything before the track day, fresh everything after. If it's a 2 day event, I change the engine oil in between days.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 08:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Oil before every track day weekend. Tcase and trans after 3-6 events ( depending on weather and what kind of racing I did) or once per year. Whichever comes first.
I don't daily the car.
stock engine (450whp), stock tcase /c 130k miles. Stock 6spd trans.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
My VIII isn't super powerful (~320whp) and it's not dailied anymore so it gets a fresh set of oil at the start of the season (I run about 3 HPDEs a year)....results from blackstone seem fine with that approach. Other fluids once a year.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 05:38 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by codgi
My VIII isn't super powerful (~320whp) and it's not dailied anymore so it gets a fresh set of oil at the start of the season (I run about 3 HPDEs a year)....results from blackstone seem fine with that approach. Other fluids once a year.
I have a few Blackstone containers in the garage. If I would get off my lazy *** and send some samples in, I'm sure I would see that I am changing too often. For as little as I drive the car, I'm sure changing the oil before each weekend event is overkill. Now that my oil changes have gone up an extra $30-$40 per change, I may look into it.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 07:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm sure I would see that I am changing too often. For as little as I drive the car, I'm sure changing the oil before each weekend event is overkill.
I agree. These high performance synthetics are very robust. Sending it to the lab would likely confirm that!!!

BITOG member
Old Apr 12, 2017, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Over kill on oil changes is much cheaper than new hard parts. I have almost $6000 wrapped up in a built trans, tcase, and rear diff. $180/track day or weekend is good insurance on drivetrain fluids. As for the engine, that's a $4000-$10k mishap, so, again, $150ish there is good insurance as well. I also run different oil at the track than I do on the street, so there's that.

Also, draining fluid before and after could help you find an issue before it becomes a catastrophic failure. Same thing with changing engine oil in the middle of a weekend event. You can look at it and see if its full of metal or not and possibly catch a bearing issue (or something else), before you grenade the motor.

Since I don't daily my car, the 2-3 time it sees the track per year represent my "maintenance" fluid changes also.

I drive my car like a racecar, it gets treated like a racecar.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:32 AM
kaj

Meh, if it's legitimately overkill, then it's overkill and unnecessary to me. Sure, I could change tires or brake pads every event too, but nah. If it's needed I'll gladly do it but if not, I'm not going to waste.
I plan to put in fresh oil, run an event, drain enough for a sample, and let the car sit until I get results back. If there's any weird results, the car sits in the garage, anyway.
Then again, if this new motor dies, the car is going bye bye. I've wasted enough time and money on it.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think you are asking Blackstone, a company at caters to fleet operators, to judge whether the oil in your race car has life left in it. Depending on the oil you use it may not be adequate for racing abuse when poured from the bottle - two different worlds.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:30 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by barneyb
I think you are asking Blackstone, a company at caters to fleet operators, to judge whether the oil in your race car has life left in it. Depending on the oil you use it may not be adequate for racing abuse when poured from the bottle - two different worlds.
Kinda. I'm asking them to give me results, not so much make the decision for me. I'm pretty sure the oil I use is suitable.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Meh, if it's legitimately overkill, then it's overkill and unnecessary to me. Sure, I could change tires or brake pads every event too, but nah. If it's needed I'll gladly do it but if not, I'm not going to waste.
I plan to put in fresh oil, run an event, drain enough for a sample, and let the car sit until I get results back. If there's any weird results, the car sits in the garage, anyway.
Then again, if this new motor dies, the car is going bye bye. I've wasted enough time and money on it.
Like I said, I drive my car like a racecar, so I treat it like a racecar. Tires and breaks both have a measureable use period, and they don't degrade (safety wise) throughout the period like oil does.

You spend $30 on oil analysis, I spend a bit more and just change it. Impending catastrophic failures can be seen by the naked eye in the oil and in the oil filter.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 12, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Like I said, I drive my car like a racer, so I treat it like a racecar. Tires and breaks both have a measureable use period, and they don't degrade (safety wise) throughout the period like oil does.

You spend $30 on oil analysis, I spend a bit more and just change it. Impending catastrophic failures can be seen by the naked eye in the oil and in the oil filter.
Yup, I used to do Blackstone like twice a year. Now I think I'm just going to do it on a new motor after break-in, or if I have reason to suspect something is wrong.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 04:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Like I said, I drive my car like a racecar, so I treat it like a racecar. Tires and breaks both have a measureable use period, and they don't degrade (safety wise) throughout the period like oil does.

$30 vs $100. I'm okay with that. Also, I'm not saying I refuse to change the oil. Just that I'm going to be sure it's necessary.