Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS in chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS in chicago

Has anyone else fel that the AMS in west chicago has kinda thrown their chin up when it comes to evos? It seems like they only care about gtrs and hiigh priced cars?
They started with evos but it seems like they got to big for them now. Has anyone else noticed this???
Sorry AMS i dont mean to bash but this is a forum.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah i got that feeling 2 years ago when I took my Evo X there.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...inted-ams.html
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's ok, we don't see it as bashing. We welcome honest opinions. Its true we have become much more selective on what we work on out of necessity. We outline the reasons in the link Kracka posted above. It's nothing personal, we just need to make sure we are being as efficient as we can be for our current customers.

I would ask that if you have further questions and or comments that you refer to the other thread though as I think most of your questions will be answered there.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Oct 9, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:04 PM

they did the same thing to a group buy on custom KA24DE headers to i think 15 people on ka-t.org. the evo X came out and it took them over 7 months to deliver. and thats why i wont order from them. loyalty and integrity are important in this community. seems they care about profits more than us.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:12 PM

here is the thread. and yes i was involved.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:14 PM

wow, never really had work done by them but when I went over to grab parts they were very nice and friendly. I have a friend working there and he said he has never been happier, sucks to see comments like this posted
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't understand the hate - as a business why wouldn't you do what is best for the company? Given you can only do x amount of work at a time, you'd be stupid (from an objective perspective) to not focus on the bigger budget/income builds at the sake of nostalgia. That's simply how the world works - how many of the people that post here would be happy to spend the rest of their lives without a payrise just to show loyalty to wherever they work now?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

If I owned a shop, I wouldn't be focusing on Evo's anymore. As they get older and continue to drop in value, the average owner becomes younger, cheaper and less educated. There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

It's a dead platform - but even still there are still plenty of Evo specific shops and still people making parts for them. Get over it.

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on them.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
If I owned a shop, I wouldn't be focusing on Evo's anymore. As they get older and continue to drop in value, the average owner becomes younger, cheaper and less educated. There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

It's a dead platform - but even still there are still plenty of Evo specific shops and still people making parts for them. Get over it.

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on

them.
Their wasnt any disresprect boltz i was just asking if anyone else has noticed this...
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on "dead platforms" (supra, 300zx, eclipse)cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner. Rx8s etc...

Last edited by zenoise; Oct 9, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zenoise
Their wasnt any disresprect boltz i was just asking if anyone else has noticed this...
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on older platforms cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner.
No disrespect back your way either.

AMS is insanely technically advanced and capable. We were lucky to have them focusing on this platform while they did but now they are on to bigger and better things. Think about how they dominate; drag car, ta1, top shop challenge, etc.

Cream always rises to the top.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by zenoise
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on "dead platforms" (supra, 300zx, eclipse)cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner. Rx8s etc...
There are a number of tuning shops that thrive on very specific platforms. However, as the profit margins went down they became fewer and further between. There used to be at least one or two DSM, subsequently EVO tuners in most major cities. Now there just isn't enough money in it to support that many operations. AMS is staying on the cutting edge of tuning and I'm sure if you went to them with a big budged EVO tune they'd be happy to do it, and I'm sure they're still happy to supply the parts that their years of tuning helped develop.

Over time you will see fewer and fewer EVO tuners, and the ones that survive will be pretty kick ***. It's part of the aftermarket business cycle.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on them.
I totally agree. With AMS being local I will still go there if I need something. There customer service is very good. Especially Andrews
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been up there a couple of times. Shop is amazing. I own some AMS parts, but they are used parts I have gotten off the forums.

I wont buy new from them, I feel they are outrageous in price, or I just tend to find better deals on lightly used parts.

I do feel, as a business, they will go to what makes more money, its better for them. The avg GTR guy drops his car off at AMS now and in a month picks it up and writes them a check for 15k. They are making money.

However, I personally wont do business with them because they tend to turn the other way on the car that put them on the map IMO.

Anyways, there are plenty of other shops in the Chi-town area to go to nowadays. Boostin is where I would go if I lived up there. Devin still has the passion for dsms even. It will be awhile, if ever, when he turns his cheek towards evo owners.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I totally agree. With AMS being local I will still go there if I need something. There customer service is very good. Especially Andrews
Big Ups to Andrew

Quick Reply: AMS in chicago