Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my modified EVO was beat by a stock EVO....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my modified EVO was beat by a stock EVO....

Dang, went for a *****en cruise today. thanks to all of those who went... It was cool till the cops showed right as two cars launched. OMFG!!!!! More on that later....Anyways, two evo's raced. One bone stock and the other with a Buschur 3" turboback, EVC and Typhoon intake. The upgraded one was out pulled all the way to 120MPH. Lost ground all the way. WTF????
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

even with the mods, i think it's still a drivers race. the stock evo probably had a better driver or just had a better run than the modded evo.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

when everyones in 4th and its to the floor i dont see a driver issue. I saw loosing ground. I thought for about $1600 worth of stuff, you went a little faster. Guess the hell not. Ill put all the stock stuff back on if thats the case......
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

That's why there is a dyno. If something makes more power and still loses well I leave the rest up to you.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

more boost dosen't always mean its faster in your case. I noticed that you don't have a SAFC or any kind of fuel mod. Your motor is most likely knocking at the peak boost set and therefor the ECU starts to pull timing. I suggest that you purchase and install a SAFC from Buschur with their calibration, Then race your friend again. I had the same problem before too. I raced a stock Evo and I didn't beat it by much, I was like WTF??? all the $$$ spent?? Now its all better after fuel mod.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by rraulston
when everyones in 4th and its to the floor i dont see a driver issue. I saw loosing ground. I thought for about $1600 worth of stuff, you went a little faster. Guess the hell not. Ill put all the stock stuff back on if thats the case......
There's one other possibility. It's possible to bolt on all kinds of goodies and run slower because the car has never been tuned to run with all this stuff. It's really easy to get into a condition where the air/fuel ratio is way off and the car just won't pull.

Back in the old days B.C. (before computers) it was pretty standard to have multiple carburetor jets on hand for tuning at the "track".

E.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Driver.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Must be the driver, i guess i need to push down on the pedal harder......lets recap, were in 4th @ 100 mph both standing on it and he is still pulling away. I see no driver issue here. The launch is over, the gears have been shifted. There nothing left but to steer the car!! Well i think its because i got Tarmac. Must be the color......... Maybe it because i use a multitude of different fuel grades. Some times 91, sometimes 93, sometimes 100. Could that fool somthing???
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for the sarcastic post, it has to be the tuning. Especially when the car runs harder at 15 LBS boost than 19. My stock bov wont even hold 19......
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:49 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: my modified EVO was beat by a stock EVO....

Originally posted by rraulston
Dang, went for a *****en cruise today. thanks to all of those who went... It was cool till the cops showed right as two cars launched. OMFG!!!!! More on that later....Anyways, two evo's raced. One bone stock and the other with a Buschur 3" turboback, EVC and Typhoon intake. The upgraded one was out pulled all the way to 120MPH. Lost ground all the way. WTF????
So why did the cops show up at the racetrack and even if they did who cares since it's legal to go to the track? Ohhhhh, this was an illegal and foolish street race... now I understand the problem... well, hopefully the cops took all the racers in and no innocent bystanders.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well....what gas were you running at the time? Did you just fill up with a lower grade than you had before? What grade fuel was he running? Are both cars fully broken in? Do you know for a fact that the other guys car is stock? No ecu tune?

All of these things could factor in to make one car slightly faster than the other.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

pssssstttt.........LDB.............. **** OFF!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Chimp, i filled with 91. Maybe i should just keep 91 in it. Cars are broke in. His is stock. Mine was a piece of crap from day one. I never knew how bad it ran till i put in the boost controller. It woke right up at 15 psi. Ime positive i was 11/12 psi spring pressure before. Ill figure it out or ill have the most expensive 15 second evo in the country. (kidding of course) RRR
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

120 MPH on a public road? I hope the car is impounded.

I guess you people wont learn until someone close to you gets killed. There is no reason you should be driving that fast unless your on a racetrack.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Who called the psychic hotline??? Hope you didnt pay!!! Wasnt in town, wasnt on a public road, wasnt dangerous, so quit your freaking assumptions!!! (oh and everyone went home with 0 tickets, 0-warnings and 100-fun)

Quick Reply: my modified EVO was beat by a stock EVO....