Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shortshifters in the evo.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommiM
I have read on here about why not to go with a short shifter for the evos. Soemthing to do with not being good on the tranny, cant remember- its been a while since I read that info.
The tranny doesn't know the difference if you have a short shifter or not. The amount of travel is exactly the same. The difference is the pivot point and angle.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they have a short shifter for a 6 speed?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a works short shifter in my car, no problems at all
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

ya it seems like there is nothing bad about a short shifter... IDK what the guy was saying... The only thing im worried about now is that he was doing work down there and he screwed something up and doesnt want me going down there to put in a short shifter lol.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rcheung
The tranny doesn't know the difference if you have a short shifter or not. The amount of travel is exactly the same. The difference is the pivot point and angle.
I feel this is slightly incorrect, but I am open for correction. I have recently pondered purchasing one but I considered the following. Keep in mind I am referring to 'stock' transmissions (not a dogbox etc)

When I was a DSM'er I blew the trans in my 2G AWD. Sent it to Jon@TRE and had quite the conversation with him. He told me to stick with the OEM shifters/assemblies for the best performance AND longevity. I had a poorly designed short throw that didn't have enough travel and wasn't engaging the gears all the way, putting way too much strain on 1st gear and the input shaft which led to the bearing for 1st going bad and trashing a few other parts.

Although some short throws are designed to just shorten the throw DISTANCE, some companies just don't care and will fab anything to sell to people. I am positive that after a long period of time, if you are racing the vehicle/frequent quick shifts it can have adverse effects on your drivetrain. Mitsu has it like that for a reason.

Yes, some people will drive for 300k miles with X short throw and their transmission will shift like butter or however they choose to describe it, but is it really necessary? Also, consider it is the internets...everyone has had great success with everything..

People complain that Evo's throws are long, have they ever driven a 5spd Pickup truck? How about a 2G DSM? Its like reaching from NY to Cali bangen gears with those things. And people still git r done.

I will put money down on the fact that I can complete a shift properly faster than 90% of the people who use short throw shifters. The shifter isn't making your car shift faster, your hand does. If your looking for a 'tighter/crisper' feeling from your shifter, replace all the bushings with aftermarket ones. I wonder how many people that are going fast in the 1/4 actually utilize a short throw?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ Great post: thoughtful, cogent, a pleasure to read.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
^^^ Great post: thoughtful, cogent, a pleasure to read.
most definitely. now if we could identify these shifters...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:39 AM

I have a torque solutions short shifter, it was a gift so can't really go wrong there, can't say I personally noticed a large difference over stock, but I can say I've had absolutely no problems with it thus far.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Have a short throw on my 04 Ralliart (same shifter as Evo) and all bushings. Car has 224k on it. OE trans. Fantastic shifting.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
Have a short throw on my 04 Ralliart (same shifter as Evo) and all bushings. Car has 224k on it. OE trans. Fantastic shifting.

Do you drag race/autox with the vehicle at all? Ever make make any quick shifts?

I am not doubting if it will work in a very close to stock vehicle, but remember most people aren't buying these 'short shifters' to drive to the store and back (not thats what your doing, purely example)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
Do you drag race/autox with the vehicle at all? Ever make make any quick shifts?
Originally Posted by Smike's sig
NASA GL/MW TT-F, SCCA AX STX, SCCA RX PF
Reading!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmspaz
Reading!
Before you try to just throw a post up and look like the man, consider the car list he has. I do read. You must not. Not everyone races every single one of their cars. So if it doesn't pertain to you, or you don't have valuable information to post, keep it to yourself
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not doubting if it will work in a very close to stock vehicle, but remember most people aren't buying these 'short shifters' to drive to the store and back (not thats what your doing, purely example)
Originally Posted by cmspaz
Reading!
Before you try to just throw a post up and look like the man, consider the car list he has. I do read. You must not. Not everyone races every single one of their cars. So if it doesn't pertain to you, or you don't have valuable information to post, keep it to yourself
otter (SuperMod here) had the RA for 210k of the car. Its been dragged, AX'd, rally'd, HPDE'd...

And yes, I race every one of my cars. I've driven a few Evos with the short throw. In mine, I modified the shifter bushing area to lower the knob some. Everyone swore it was a short throw when they drove it. But it was not. My 8 had 400+ launches on it and lost count of AX events. Dozens of track days. Stock trans and 2 clutches (3 counting removal of OEM at 15k).

RA. I quick shift 2-5 but not 1-2 (FWD car and no real need to for 99% of the driving it sees); 2-5 I will quick shift.

Last edited by Smike; Feb 15, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
otter (SuperMod here) had the RA for 210k of the car. Its been dragged, AX'd, rally'd, HPDE'd...

And yes, I race every one of my cars. I've driven a few Evos with the short throw. In mine, I modified the shifter bushing area to lower the knob some. Everyone swore it was a short throw when they drove it. But it was not.My 8 had 400+ launches on it and lost count of AX events. Dozens of track days. Stock trans and 2 clutches (3 counting removal of OEM at 15k).

RA. I quick shift 2-5 but not 1-2 (FWD car and no real need to for 99% of the driving it sees); 2-5 I will quick shift.
Thank you for answering that thoroughly. Did your RA have the short throw in for all those miles? That's a lot of shifts on one shifter! That's one for the garage wall when she bites the dust.

In bold, I just wanted to make a point for anyone reading this that you DID NOT have a short throw in your Evo, correct? And it took all that beating, and did great with the stocker!

And the fact that you race everyone of your cars puts you just a few levels below the great Chuck Norris
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I swapped ebay for Works.

ebay = not short and leaning to the right

works = shorter and leaning toward YOU. worlds better, IMO.

Quick Reply: Shortshifters in the evo.