Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rev Limit Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev Limit Question

I was wondering is the stock rev limiter set at 7k rpm?
My car has been dyno tuned before and I revved up to near 8k rpm. I have the sheet somewhere but not sure where I put it. Is there a way to find out what the rev limit is set at without revving the crap out of it?

What rpm is safe to rev up to? Car only have basic bolt ons and stock turbo.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

My rev limit is between 7500 and 8000. I don't think it was changed with my tune.

As for safe revving, I've heard of a person who put a brick on his accelerator and left it revving and it only stopped when it ran out of fuel. (don't ask me why he did it, he was trying to get his money back or something). I'm not sure what version of EVO it was though.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:31 PM

I have a EVO 8 and it will rev up to 7500-8k and I have never had it tuned. I was told this is normal.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:31 PM

I think stock rev limit is 7200-7300 rpm.....as for safe rev limit. if your still on stock valvetrain, i.e. stock cams,valves ,valve springs/retainers id say to push more then 8200 rpm.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toyotabike
I was wondering is the stock rev limiter set at 7k rpm?
My car has been dyno tuned before and I revved up to near 8k rpm. I have the sheet somewhere but not sure where I put it. Is there a way to find out what the rev limit is set at without revving the crap out of it?

What rpm is safe to rev up to? Car only have basic bolt ons and stock turbo.
Bro are you ecuflash savvy... just use that to save a copy of your rom file and open your rev limit table and check it. Or you could just stop where the orange color on the tach starts to turn red. Seriously though you should be able to rev all the way to 8500 with no prob especially if the car has already been dynoed I am sure your tuner made the adjustment. If not 8000 RPM all day NP.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone. I will keep it a tad under 8k.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't worry too much about revving so high because all stock turbos reach their peak "hp" around 7k. A much bigger turbo uses those high rpms, but not your stocker.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine hits at 8k rpm...dont do that thou cause you can easy spun a bearing
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

The stock rev limit on an Evo is 7606. Atleast to my knowledge. You can check that via tactrix cable/ evoscan.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
Bro are you ecuflash savvy... just use that to save a copy of your rom file and open your rev limit table and check it. Or you could just stop where the orange color on the tach starts to turn red. Seriously though you should be able to rev all the way to 8500 with no prob especially if the car has already been dynoed I am sure your tuner made the adjustment. If not 8000 RPM all day NP.
Revving to 8500 on a stock head is a big NO NO. Stock bottom end on that RPM is not a good idea either. Like stated before, the stock turbo is good to about 7k anyway. For the most part you can feel it fall on its face from around 6500 rpm's in some cases. I know theres a lot of big turbo stock block guys out there but I guarantee there not tackin 8500 rpms. They probably run somewhere around 7500.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spooldursti
Revving to 8500 on a stock head is a big NO NO. Stock bottom end on that RPM is not a good idea either. Like stated before, the stock turbo is good to about 7k anyway. For the most part you can feel it fall on its face from around 6500 rpm's in some cases. I know theres a lot of big turbo stock block guys out there but I guarantee there not tackin 8500 rpms. They probably run somewhere around 7500.
Ok well allow me to clarify as perhaps I mis-spoke as I don't know exactly what toyotabike meant by,"basic bolt ons and stock turbo"(probably just mas air and intercooler piping... maybe a fmic... maybe cams... maybe a bigger TB... maybe a Walboro 255... I mean all of those fell in the range of,"basic bolt ons" when I did em but IDK). And I am going to assume as you are in KS that you go to MKC and Chad does your tunes cause I know he did mine way back when I was out that way; I am pretty sure for Dyno's sake you can push to 8500 RPMS if you have most of that above listed, "basic bolt ons". Now in now way am I advising or even advocating that you should cruise around town making 8500 rpms the point where you shift gears, that's no bueno. But I am fairly certain even when Chris at Mellon was doing my email tunes before I found Chad @ MKC all my pulls were done threw the 8000-8500 range and on a stock bottom end as all I had then were the basic bolt ons I listed above. Now for the Big Turbo guys that have stock bottom ends if they dare to push into the 8500 range on a stock bottom shame on em, but I really dont think that factors into what we are talking about in toyotabikes scenario. Jus my 2c.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Without upgraded cams and valve springs I would not rev past 7500, for one there is no need in it since stock turbo runs out of breath before then and second the valve springs are need to be upgraded to up the rev limit
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no reason to rev over 7500 on stock turbo even if you are on aggressive cams. on a stock block, when frequently revving over 7500 the problem is the stock rod bolts are known to stretch.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
Ok well allow me to clarify as perhaps I mis-spoke as I don't know exactly what toyotabike meant by,"basic bolt ons and stock turbo"(probably just mas air and intercooler piping... maybe a fmic... maybe cams... maybe a bigger TB... maybe a Walboro 255... I mean all of those fell in the range of,"basic bolt ons" when I did em but IDK). And I am going to assume as you are in KS that you go to MKC and Chad does your tunes cause I know he did mine way back when I was out that way; I am pretty sure for Dyno's sake you can push to 8500 RPMS if you have most of that above listed, "basic bolt ons". Now in now way am I advising or even advocating that you should cruise around town making 8500 rpms the point where you shift gears, that's no bueno. But I am fairly certain even when Chris at Mellon was doing my email tunes before I found Chad @ MKC all my pulls were done threw the 8000-8500 range and on a stock bottom end as all I had then were the basic bolt ons I listed above. Now for the Big Turbo guys that have stock bottom ends if they dare to push into the 8500 range on a stock bottom shame on em, but I really dont think that factors into what we are talking about in toyotabikes scenario. Jus my 2c.
Lol, no, Chad has not done any of my tunes yet. Im waiting to get a fuel system and possibly a bigger turbo before I make my trip up there. And my point on all I was saying was having a STOCk head and STOCK turbo pushing 8500rpms. Bc the turbo loses efficency way before 8500. Even if your running 30lbs on a stock turbo its pushing way to much hot air to be effecient.

about the stock head, I think everyone agrees not to go to 8500 on stock spring/retainers
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wasnt saying it was good to rev that far even with cams and valve springs but since the stocker runs out way before then I see no reason to even go past 7200-7300

Quick Reply: Rev Limit Question