Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aeromotive 340L's keeps dying on me

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeromotive 340L's keeps dying on me

The Aeromotive 340L pumps have given me nothing but TROUBLE...
It started out I filled up on a bad batch of E85 with my brand new (first) Aeromotive 340l which ruined my entire fuel system , Aeromotive tested the pump and gladly gave me a replacement after I explained the situation.

so I went THE FULL NINE YARDS, replaced the gas tank due to it being ruined by nasty e85, ran new -8AN Feed & return lines, Injector Dynamics ID2000's, Aeromotive fuel filter, and put on the Aeromotive 13110 - Pro-Series EFI Regulator on the car, and then the Full Blown dual pump hanger.
I have changed EVERYTHING in the fuel system except the fuel neck and breather that can easily be blown into.

Every time I put an Aeromotive pump on the car, it slowly dies and the car progressively gets leaner until the pump wears out, I am almost on my 3rd pump, Could we be suffering from an insufficient vent line size on our evo tanks?? This needs to get resolved somehow. I bet others may have or will be on this frustrating path to wasteful spending.
Old May 24, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't other users of double pumper systems be experiencing this issue if the vent line wasn't sufficient?
Old May 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmmm, I remember someone mentioning the pump internals may not be compatible with E85 when they first came out...
Old May 24, 2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Hmmmm, I remember someone mentioning the pump internals may not be compatible with E85 when they first came out...
That is exactly what I have wondered, I have replaced the strainers 3 times in one week due to being extremely black (only appears to be black inside the fuel pump strainer). The only possible explanation I can think of is the black color is coming from the brushes of the motor??
Old May 24, 2011, 09:04 PM

I believe either these pumps are wearing out WAY too quickly because:

-The viscosity of ethanol is too great for this high flow pump, deeming it unusable for ethanol fuel?
-The voltage is too great(which cannot be the case because the battery voltage is in operating spec of the pump.)
-There is a restriction in the tank breather tube, or it is undersized?
-The air way vent/breather of the pump is clogged(which is not the case).

any thoughts?
Old May 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I had a jay racing pt342 fail in under 1000 miles on 93 octane. They replaced it under warranty and I have yet to put it back in as I just kept the 255 in for now. I believe there the same pump with different names slapped on them as it flows the same and everything.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:37 PM

Here is what one weekend of running on a new strainer looks like for me vs. a new strainer (this is the 3rd aeromotive pump failure about to happen.) Self explanitory.
Anyone else having strainers turn black like mine?
Attached Thumbnails Aeromotive 340L's keeps dying on me-250824_10150260893268478_679998477_8950204_2847315_n.jpg  
Old May 27, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Get away from Aeromotive, Their quality control is not very good at all. I have had many problems with their products. Made in Mexico??
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:15 PM

Are they still selling these pumps?
The strainer getting black like that would indicate contaminated fuel, but it is hard to believe that happened to you more than once...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:40 AM

*************************UPDATE ************************************

After alot of research and effort we have concluded that:
1.The sump is draining faster then it fills
2.The stock fuel pump hangar uses the venturi effect to suck fuel from THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TANK, so with the Full Blown dual hangar you EFFECTIVELY lose this venturi effect which means fuel slosh with hard right corners is the only way to provide any fuel to the fuel hangar's half of the fuel tank. I am going to be providing pics and show how I go about fixing this problem. many people say "just drill holes in the sump, this is a good idea but you are still only using half the tank if you run below half tank.

I did not mean to attack aeromotive in any way. They told me the evo & eclipse gas tanks give them the most problems. Now we can see why.
Two in tank walbros do not let this problem "come to light" as easily as just one aeromotive 340L, which is why I have burned through 5 of them..
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

So will running just one in the drop in configuration have this problem?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tried the Dual Walbro intank setup like BR or BlaqOp or FullBlown?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:46 AM

With the Full Blown and only one Aeromotive 340L installed on it, I was still able kill 2 brand new pumps on seperate occasions..

I upgraded the fuel lines to -8AN Feed & return to support the pumps, switching to walbros would probably require me to switch out the return line(which is downgrading if I can make the dual Aero's work). I max out dual Walbros on the car..

I have 2 carburetor pumps that are ethanol safe & can run dry coming in today to try out, so my plan is to constantly feed the pump sump with the/those pump/pumps. I am also installing a one way flapper to MAKE SURE that sump is as closed to always filled as possible.

Also, I believe if someone used the stock fuel pump hangar with one aeromotive 340L, they could "get by" just fine.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Did you drill the siphon piece? If you drill the siphon piece, it will never siphon correctly. We have had a few customers with the same issue, and they all had drilled the siphon piece. Our unit uses the OE siphon so it is not the issue.

We ran our shop car all the way down to empty without any issues. We staged the second pump so the siphon assembly would not be affected. I hope that helps
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:59 AM

So I am supposed to plumb the (Denso) venturi siphon device from the stock fuel pump hangar into my full blown unit? Won't that create too much back pressure at idle?
I have not drilled the siphon tee.
I apologize, I did not see in your instructions about using this tee on your hangar.
May I also have a picture if I am supposed to plumb the venturi device on your hangar?
I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: Aeromotive 340L's keeps dying on me