Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gas pedal sticking when cold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do this every winter. I have another opinion about why we get so much build up. I think it might have something to do with the air cleaner elements. I think oiled filters ala k/n or Perrin, etc have a bit of extra slime going through. I never had this issue the first winter i had the car. The following summer i replaced with a Perrin and have had to clean every winter since.

This theory is based on the fact that if the gunk was oil based it would thicken in the winter. The only other explanation is that the tolerance on the butterfly is so tight that temperature causes the contraction. Which would have been a factor the first year i owned the car but wasnt.

Keeping it clean keeps me from waking up the neighbors with that first 'kick' of the cold car LOL.

Take Care..
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
I do this every winter. I have another opinion about why we get so much build up. I think it might have something to do with the air cleaner elements. I think oiled filters ala k/n or Perrin, etc have a bit of extra slime going through. I never had this issue the first winter i had the car. The following summer i replaced with a Perrin and have had to clean every winter since.

This theory is based on the fact that if the gunk was oil based it would thicken in the winter. The only other explanation is that the tolerance on the butterfly is so tight that temperature causes the contraction. Which would have been a factor the first year i owned the car but wasnt.

Keeping it clean keeps me from waking up the neighbors with that first 'kick' of the cold car LOL.

Take Care..
how bout the EGR valve, you think thats got anything to do with it?
im willing to bet you that anyone whos eliminated the EGR doesnt have this problem anymore...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Could be EGR. But my 'annual' issue started after the air cleaner. I am not to worried about it. Its very easy to take care of.

I tend to think the gunk is oil based tho. Carbon usually doesnt clean up as easily. Carbon would be EGR for sure. The only expereince i have cleaning carbon is with a bead blaster or on old carbureated cars; we used to trickle water down a hot engine to break the stuff out of the cylinder heads.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Could be EGR. But my 'annual' issue started after the air cleaner. I am not to worried about it. Its very easy to take care of.

I tend to think the gunk is oil based tho. Carbon usually doesnt clean up as easily. Carbon would be EGR for sure. The only expereince i have cleaning carbon is with a bead blaster or on old carbureated cars; we used to trickle water down a hot engine to break the stuff out of the cylinder heads.
well i understand what your saying but its def NOT oil build up causing this. this is def carbon build up due to where the EGR is located AND the "performance" of our cars. it sounds like you know your **** with cars and those are some old school tricks. but you gotta get your hands on some better cleaner. IF Chrysler sells there carburetor cleaner grab that, never used anything better. if you need to use a bead blaster on your cars or someone elses cars you need to clean that **** more often...im gonna assume your talkin about oooold motors that have been layin around for years. that carbon build up now-a-days should never get that bad unless its from neglect
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

my car is bone stock and same thing for me. I have no more problem with that since i have my remote start but i will clean that crap in the next few days.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah old school for sure The bead blaster has never seen the evo The next post tho shoots my theory. Where he says his car is stock. Maybe it just took that long to accumulate on my car with the egr. Hard to say. But we definitely know the fix

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah old school for sure The bead blaster has never seen the evo The next post tho shoots my theory. Where he says his car is stock. Maybe it just took that long to accumulate on my car with the egr. Hard to say. But we definitely know the fix

Thanks
But i have to say that i bought the car used last year, so maybe the first owner lied to me and he modded the car before, then put it back to stock and i will never know it. So maybe someone that own the car stock since 0 miles will confirm.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to go try the suggestions in this thread because I have the same exact problem. It's annoying when it's cold!!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Friggen glad I stumbled on this thread. I just thought it was normal for the first few minutes to be sticky but now I know its something to fix.

Too bad its -30C (-22F for you americans) here so It may have to wait till a bit warmer day. Enjoy your nice weather florida (bastards)

I like these little tricks i'm learning from evo m.. so far my other fav is spraying hairspray on IC couplings for grip after mine blew off. Thanks guys!

Last edited by tundeclips; Jan 3, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

ouchhh -22! and i thought -1 was cold the other night phewww lol
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tmt502
Are the stock seals really that bad? How would I know if they aren't functioning properly?
yes, they are. do a boost leak test to see if they are leaking...but they probably are. mil.spec seals are a good, cheap way to fix it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, came on to look for a solution to this and it's right here on the first page. I bought the car brand new on 08/2006 15miles on the odo, it started sticking this winter currently at 67,000 miles.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by blacktab420
But i have to say that i bought the car used last year, so maybe the first owner lied to me and he modded the car before, then put it back to stock and i will never know it. So maybe someone that own the car stock since 0 miles will confirm.
I purchased my car brand new with a handful of miles. I've never modded and noticed this "sticking" problem just within the last month with about 36,500 miles on the clock. While the carb cleaner certainly cleaned some of the film/dust from the TB and turned a brand new toothbrush black, there wasn't any thick build up of gunk like I was expecting. Maybe it doesn't take much to cause the valve to stick, but I wonder if this problem will return when the temps dip again.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:42 PM

GM dealers also sell stuff called Top Engine Cleaner, this stuff is evil. It will destroy any carbon build up on anything, it will also destroy paint so be careful. I keep a few cans laying around all the time.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i cleaned my TB and that COMPLETELY fixed my issue. im glad i found this thread haha

Quick Reply: Gas pedal sticking when cold