Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by WRC4ever
Senior Info,

it seems to me like you are drastically opposed to the VII being legal. Every single post you have made regarding this issue has had some sort of a negative tone.
Are you holding some sort of grudge ? Do you have some sort of personal/business issue that will make you NOT want to see those cars legal? It sure looks that way.

Thoughts from other people on this ?
I'm not opposed to the VII being legal. I just believe that the chances of the VII ever becoming legal are extremely small.

BTW, since you're here, what's the status of YOUR VII? Did you, too, yield physical possession to EI?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Jonasan50,

Senior Info has nothing to do with the legalization process of these cars. 'tyndago' is, though.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Did you, too, yield physical possession to EI?
yep, to G&K really.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

someone has gotta say it! if i had got an EVOVII from EI and then had to ship it back after i had already paid, TRUST i would be insane. We're not talkin about 10k geo metros here, these cars are pretty expensive, and if you go through all the hassle of importing a car, and having US conversion with the idea that it is "street legal" then yes people should be this skeptical, and this upset.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

yep, to G&K really.
I find this business of rounding up all the VIIs that were shipped to customers to be strange and ominous. According to Registered Importer Newsletter No. 19:
VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY
Before a nonconforming vehicle can be imported it must have an eligibility number. The only exception is when an RI is preparing a petition to determine if the vehicle is capable of being modified to comply with the FMVSS. Only one vehicle may be imported by the petitioning RI, unless additional vehicles are required for crash testing. NO OTHER RI MAY IMPORT A PETITIONED VEHICLE UNTIL IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED ELIGIBLE. Appropriate action will be taken against any RI who imports a vehicle without an eligibility number.
So the RI needs (is allowed), at most, one copy of the VII for the petition. Why gather up all the VIIs before the petition is approved?

Last edited by Seņor Info; Mar 13, 2003 at 02:08 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Seņor Info seems to know his ****!

Old Mar 13, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Senior Info,

it seems to me like you are drastically opposed to the VII being legal. Every single post you have made regarding this issue has had some sort of a negative tone.
Are you holding some sort of grudge ? Do you have some sort of personal/business issue that will make you NOT want to see those cars legal? It sure looks that way.

Thoughts from other people on this ?
I do not think Senor Info is opposed to the VII being legal. It seems he is against the business practices that EI has demonstrated. He backs up his statments with facts from government sites showing that it is possible EI may have violated laws and that their customers may have thrown away thousands of dollars. I for one have found his posts to be very informative and I hope he continues to show a counter point to what the EI people keep saying which amounts to "it'll just be a little longer, be patient." Now they have the cars and the money (again!) and legality is still up in the air. I hope things turn out okay for the people who have invested their money, but it looks to me like it won't.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 05:57 PM
In Timeout

Hmmmm. Saw this...

Mitsubishi 13 Galant SUP 1989
Mitsubishi 8 Galant VX 1988

...here.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 06:30 PM

I think that EI has made some serious mistakes, but I also think that Senor Info is being a little severe ... maybe a bit ****.

The law is a living breathing thing, and rules are enforced by people. We can argue about details all day long .. but that gets us nowhere. The only people that can tell EI right from wrong are the officials charged with enforcing the law.

Most people don't like to be severe .. they like to be forgiving. They like to give you the benefit of the doubt. The people that EI is dealing with most likely are not even as informed as Senor Info ... and probably much less severe.

... so I would just wait and see. Give EI the benefit of the doubt. We don't know what deals have been made, or what conditions have been demanded. The cars could have already been seized or they have gotten the OK as long as the petition goes through .. I have a feeling its the latter ... but arguing gets us nowhere. Lets just wait for the facts to come in.

Judges let first offenders off all the time ... the law is interpretation.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:40 PM

WRC4ever, what exaclty happened to your Evo? I know you said G & K has it... but who is G & K, did they call you and say they were taking your car until it is approved, or did it get shipped to Japan or what? I was looking into getting an Evo VII, and I just want to know what has happened to those who already had them. Of course, I can't wait to see if the approval goes through, as I'm sure you can't either. Thanks...

Pete
Old Mar 13, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Beldrueger
I think that EI has made some serious mistakes, but I also think that Senor Info is being a little severe ... maybe a bit ****.

The law is a living breathing thing, and rules are enforced by people. We can argue about details all day long .. but that gets us nowhere. The only people that can tell EI right from wrong are the officials charged with enforcing the law.

Most people don't like to be severe .. they like to be forgiving. They like to give you the benefit of the doubt. The people that EI is dealing with most likely are not even as informed as Senor Info ... and probably much less severe.

... so I would just wait and see. Give EI the benefit of the doubt. We don't know what deals have been made, or what conditions have been demanded. The cars could have already been seized or they have gotten the OK as long as the petition goes through .. I have a feeling its the latter ... but arguing gets us nowhere. Lets just wait for the facts to come in.

Judges let first offenders off all the time ... the law is interpretation.
If Luke Loy is still in charge of petittions (he was as of Jan 3, 2003 when this Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance Org Chart was made), then the RI shouldn't expect to be cut any slack at all. And, yes, vehicles are sometimes crushed by US Customs (at the owner's expense), as illustrated in this article directed at US military personnel: http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2...200205027.html.

And for those that wonder how long this process might take, I invite you to re-read my posts in a thread from last November, in which I mistakenly assume that EI would immediately request a petition and not wait until 2003 (so add 5 months to all my estimates): https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=1
Old Mar 13, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

they are a Registered Importer (RI) in California. They have taken back the EVO (nothing like being an indian giver) for more work....just back to California so far....soon to be out of the country.

Sounds like I would be a pretty pissed off person if I were a buyer of an EI EVO VII!!!!

Originally posted by carpe135
WRC4ever, what exaclty happened to your Evo? I know you said G & K has it... but who is G & K, did they call you and say they were taking your car until it is approved, or did it get shipped to Japan or what? I was looking into getting an Evo VII, and I just want to know what has happened to those who already had them. Of course, I can't wait to see if the approval goes through, as I'm sure you can't either. Thanks...

Pete
Old Mar 13, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Beldrueger

... so I would just wait and see. Give EI the benefit of the doubt.
I am suprised that you are so sympathetic to EI, considering something bad happeend to you concerning your Lotus under similar conidtions. Why is that?

Would you be so sympathetic if a local dealer did this to you? Let's say my dealership sold you a car and I was your salesperson. You put down your cash, we'll say ten thousand dollars, and take delivery of your vehicle. A month later, I contact you and say that their is ummm, a recall on your vehicle...and I say it will only be in the "shop" for a couple of days. Days turn to weeks, weeks turn to months. Meanwhile you are still having to make the monthly payments, still have to provide insurance and your vehicle is halfway across the country. No, you can't have your money back, nor will I help you by giving you a rental car. You'd be sympathetic to me and my dealership the same way? If I asked you for a couple of referrals would you send me some more business?

Do I even have to speculate how most of you would feel if this happened to you, or what actions you would take or the outrage you would feel against me or my company?

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 13, 2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:59 PM

I guess I am a bit different in this regard ... b/c I have frequently paid up front for cars that I didn't have for months or took months to construct ... or were dissasembled and reassembled.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with EI, but I just wouldn't count them out yet. My point is that even if your vehicles don't fall under the letter of the law today .. they still might have been allowed to keep them in the country ... EVEN IF THE EXACT REGS DON'T PROVIDE FOR THAT.. maybe in bonded warehouse .. until the certification goes through .. and even if it fails you should be able to get constructive seizure and partial recovery

Senor Info - That article didn't really prove anything A) It didn't say that the owners had to pay to get the vehicle crushed B) Several years of Jeep Wranglers have been certified, so I bet they just didn't want to pay the conversion costs

I am working off of info that my customs case workers told me. No cars get crushed immediately.

My bet is that the couple abandoned the vehicle when they found out the costs/fines involved ... it didn't sell in the export-only auction (not worth the shipping charge)... and got crushed.

MY POINT: If you have an EI car .. don't give up yet. Keep pressure on them, try to get ALL of the info ... I would talk to a lawyer .. but don't try to bring the fire of hell down on EI ... If they are good guys I'm sure that they are just as stressed, if not more, than you are ... to me the presence of Sean means that they are trying to figure it out. With the U.S. Evo out .. I'd say the odds are pretty good ... If you are a customer, the last thing you want to do is make this an us vs. them situation.

Just make sure that your your exit strategy is aligned with their exit strategy.

BTW ... Senor Info ... why do you know so much about this stuff if you have never done anything with it? .. were you planning to? just curious

sounds like EI could use your help ... I'm sure that they would appreciate it.

Last edited by Beldrueger; Mar 13, 2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 06:53 PM

Hailz!
Tyndago... thank you for your posts. please keep us informed as the process moves forward. I am very interested in all the Good things and the Bad things that occur as you move through this difficult process towards your final goal: Legalized importation and ownership rights of JDM EVO VIIIs, and, I assume JDM EVO VIIs in the USA.

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]