Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2003, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol thanks alot WRXSAVVY
Old Oct 7, 2003, 05:34 PM

wow, u guys really love ur cars. I never knew people took apart their cars just to look for rust. U guys are really something lol =)
Old Oct 7, 2003, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

I have read some but not all of this post. This maybe something to think about. How many new BMW owners tear their car apart? I believe what we see is that Evo owners mod their cars faster then just about any other owners. Due to that, we are picking up on the little issues with the car. Whos to say if a BMW, Lexus, or Honda owners did the same things they would not find issues.

I would guess most other cars, the issues go unseen.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

The brands you listed, higher-end brands, tend to not cut as many corners during the fabrication and construction processes and don't do stupid things like connect parts together BEFORE anti-rust coating them.

It's just carelessness/cheapness/poor quality assurance. It can happen to any brand. It just sucks *** when it's a car you own or are considering owning strongly.

Especially when it's happening to the best car that brand makes. You'd think that a company who claims to be trying to make a turn around compared to its vast past problems would try a bit harder on the easy stuff - the stuff that can be fixed instead of covered up BEFORE customers get the cars. Problems that arise only after the cars are driven a long time are harder to address than something that can be fixed on the damn assembly line.

So once again Mitsubishi is just proving to be the same old brand. Having the problem to begin with and not actively doing anything to address and fix the problem as a whole.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:58 PM

pulled my bumper off after work today, found a bit of rust. same condition, same scenario. just going to remove the rust and recoat it myself....don't exactly trust dealerships.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:07 AM

hey guys ...

just got my car back from mitsu after they had painted the drivers side rear quarter panel. They fixed the chip marks and put clear 3m tape on both sides of the car. Not bad, but you can see overspray on the top of the quarter and you can see where they put tape to mask. Im pissed. Yes the major problem is fixed but now i have to deal with the quarter panel looking dull. If you feel it its rough. Im going to try and get it off with compoung and wax but i dont know. Ohh and the dealer put 16miles on my car which i wasnt happy about. Must of needed to test drive the paint job...

If any of you get it painted ..have them do the whole quarter panel not just spot paint it and try to fade it ...

Mark
bmtranny.com
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsu quality

Hey guys, ex-mitsubishi owner here. Owned '90 Eclipse, 91 Talon TSi, 99 Eclipse GSX (I have a long list of problems for this car).... Mitsubishi quality sucks. Your rusting bumpers are not an accident, just like the 2G crankwalked turbo motors were no accident nor were they isolated.

Don't listen to the more ignorant posters saying every car has their problems. They are not speaking of the magnitude or frequency of Mitsubishi problems, nor are they refering to Mitsubishi's lackadaisical approach to solving their own quality control issues.

If you are thinking of buying an EVO, you WILL have issues. If you are mechanically inclined to deal with them, by all means buy the car. I was hoping Mitsu would turn a corner with the EVO, but it looks like its just another Mitsubishi hack job with more horsepower. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS- I DON'T CARE IF ITS NOT A BMW!

Jesse
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:34 PM

to get rid of the overspray try using a clay bar. I use meguiars clay bar and it works wonders to remove contaminants. Also when using the clay bar make sure to refold it continuously so that the dirt stuck on the bar is not dragged over your paint scratching it and also be sure to use generous amount of lubrication when using the bar so it glides smoothly across your paint surface.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Mitsu quality

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
Hey guys, ex-mitsubishi owner here. Owned '90 Eclipse, 91 Talon TSi, 99 Eclipse GSX (I have a long list of problems for this car).... Mitsubishi quality sucks. Your rusting bumpers are not an accident, just like the 2G crankwalked turbo motors were no accident nor were they isolated.

Don't listen to the more ignorant posters saying every car has their problems. They are not speaking of the magnitude or frequency of Mitsubishi problems, nor are they refering to Mitsubishi's lackadaisical approach to solving their own quality control issues.

If you are thinking of buying an EVO, you WILL have issues. If you are mechanically inclined to deal with them, by all means buy the car. I was hoping Mitsu would turn a corner with the EVO, but it looks like its just another Mitsubishi hack job with more horsepower. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS- I DON'T CARE IF ITS NOT A BMW!
Jesse
Kinda unecessary to call those who disagree with your opinion ignorant...
You owned 3 DSM's, which are all built in the U.S. Unfortunately, just until recently, the Normal plant was notorious for poor quality control. Remember, builts a lot of cars worldwide. So there is a lot more product breadth than the DSM's.
The EVO is built in Japan and as such build quality is usually much better.
Mind you, this is not to excuse for poor oversight. The bumper assembly rust is certainly something that warrants a NHTSA investigation, due to the safety hazard it presents
The EVO is a great car and there is no need to berate it.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mitsu quality

Hey guys, ex-mitsubishi owner here. Owned '90 Eclipse, 91 Talon TSi, 99 Eclipse GSX (I have a long list of problems for this car).... Mitsubishi quality sucks.
Just curious. Why did you continue buying Mitsubishis if you had poor quality issues from the start? It took you three purchases to realize that you didn't like a particular company?

I've had nothing but good luck with my '98. Does that mean I am right and you are wrong?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Mitsu quality

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evomk8

Kinda unecessary to call those who disagree with your opinion ignorant...

That is not the reason I'm calling them ignorant. I'm calling them ignorant, b/c there is pages of documentation on the internet, the talon digest etc, of HORRIBLE, RECURRENT QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES. I'm not talking about normal wear/tear issues either. [/B]

Just curious. Why did you continue buying Mitsubishis if you had poor quality issues from the start? It took you three purchases to realize that you didn't like a particular company?

No, actually I realized there were issues with DSM's before I bought my 91 Talon TSi. I knew this b/c I received the Talon Digest months before I made the purchase, and most of the posts were in search of technical help. Why do you think the Digest was started by Todd in the first place? The posts that were shouting for help were in the majority and so often the dealerships were either screwing things up worse, or just ripping people off.

I've had nothing but good luck with my '98. Does that mean I am right and you are wrong?

Why don't you do some research on Mitsubishi's and DSM quality control and reliability issues and come back and let me know who's right and wrong.

I have a feeling you know I'm right but I've bruised some ego's by "bashing" EVO's so now I'm being bashed. I love EVO's. I would rather be driving an EVO right now than a Maxima. But I will never be Mitsubishi's ***** again. And the longer Mitsu owners take it, the longer Mitsu will continue to do it. If you want to defend them on the rusted bumper issue, then you are Mitsubishi's type of customer. By the way, did the metallic grinding sound coming from the clutch area ever get resolved on the EVOs?

Jesse
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by wewu
to get rid of the overspray try using a clay bar. I use meguiars clay bar and it works wonders to remove contaminants. Also when using the clay bar make sure to refold it continuously so that the dirt stuck on the bar is not dragged over your paint scratching it and also be sure to use generous amount of lubrication when using the bar so it glides smoothly across your paint surface.

thanks bro .. i will give it a shot hopefully it all comes off.

mark
bm
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Mitsu quality

No, actually I realized there were issues with DSM's before I bought my 91 Talon TSi.

Why don't you do some research on Mitsubishi's and DSM quality control and reliability issues and come back and let me know who's right and wrong.

I have a feeling you know I'm right but I've bruised some ego's by "bashing" EVO's so now I'm being bashed.
Then by taking those risks you must have realized or thought the positives outweighed the negatives and bought the car anyway, followed by two others. So what does that prove?

I did a lot of research myself, and still concluded the car was worth investing my money into. My car isn't perfect, (my hatch has a couple of rattles I'm trying to chase down, and one of my front bushings started to squeak after I lowered the car) but it has been rock solid mechanically. There are enough people running heavily modded 7-bolts for me not to worry about CW, and if so, a built 6-bolt short block is only like 2 grand. Big whoop. IF I were driving a bone stock 2G with NO extended warranty, I might be concerend about CW, but chances are I wouldn't even know what it is. As soon as the opportunity and the means present themselves, there will be an Evo in my driveway.

You aren't being bashed, you're just being responded to by people who don't think they're "ignorant" for disagreeing with you.

Last edited by GPTourer; Oct 14, 2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:15 AM

Ugh, I've had three friends here in Omaha that had "Crankwalk" on their 2G's, they weren't too happy with Mitsubishi quality control... I personally had a '95 GSX that had 122,xxx miles and no crankwalk, but screw it, 1G's own!
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

About the rust on Evo 8 bumpers

Has anyone gone to the dealer about this yet? Did they do anything? What did they do? I took mine to the dealer last month and they told me to come back on a certain day when the mitsu rep was there. I was too lazy/busy. But it pissed me off that the first thing the guy said was "Did you buy it here?" i said no, he said "Then you have to go to the dealer u got it at" I said "bull**** its a Mitsu warrenty not a dealer warrenty" He then told me to come back when the rep was there. I havnt gone back yet. What have u guys done?

Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]