Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Model Blitz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2002, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mitsubishi Model Blitz

I guess this isn't really confidential, so I'll let you guys in on want Mitsubishi has coming down the pike:

Word has it that the Lancer is going to get a fairly moderate change
for next year, I don't know if it is to further differentiate it from
the Evolution when it is released, or what but it is supposed to change.
There will also be a Lancer Sportback (a MP5, Matrix sorta thing) later
this year also. I have also heard rumblings of a possible engine
upgrade for the O.Z. model, and I've also heard that the OZ model
would get dropped when the EVO comes out. Not sure on that.
The EVO is scheduled for January release and the price keeps getting closer and closer to 30K.

Although the EVO is a godsend, Mitsubishi is all about market share
and they are about to explode with new models in the SUV market.
A new mini-ute in the CRV/RAV4/Highlander class called the Outlander
will be here this fall, and a new Xterra class 'ute follows. In other
words, their are no plans for a new GT class (Supra, RX7, etc) car
to revive the 3000. The next Galant comes in two years, as well
as a Q-45/LS450 class Diamante, and a radical Eclipse in '05. And
then, to really bring the house down, a new pickup truck. Remember
the Mighty Max?

At any rate, we all know that the OZ was a band aid approach by Mitsubishi to gauge how well the tuner market would support the Lancer.
They figured ES's would comprise 60% of the market with 20% each for the OZ and LS. With us I would say that we sell about 60% ES's, 35% OZ's, and 5% LS's. I don't think they will give the OZ a mild version of the 4G63-T, but maybe the 2.4L 4g64 from the base Galant/Eclipse. To change body styles after only one year (two in Asia/Europe) is pretty
radical enough, but to change engines too would kind hurt the Lancer's
aftermarket since the tuners would have to start all over again, if they choose the 4g64 which has little support. The fate of the Mirage Coupe
hangs in the balance. Wouldn't a Mivec powered Lancer Hatch be a good replacement as a civic Si slayer?
Old Apr 10, 2002, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
support for 4g64

Theres more support for the 4g64 than you think. I thin it would be a great enginen in the lancer. I have tuned one on an older galant quite a bit, and you would be AMAZED how many parts are interchangable with the 4G63. Not to mention the 4G64 is WIDELY available in other parts of the world, includign the TT mitsu parajo. The parts are there, you just have to be creative. The engine also have a GREAT torque curve.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:41 PM

so many people on the "inside" ... ill see it when i believe it.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the info GPtourer posted is one of the most rational of posts i've seen regarding "rumors". the "sportback" wagon model's been rumored on for some time as mitsu's fight with subaru's wagon, and the OZ would get less attention since its promoted as the "rally car of the lineup" this year and WILL get bumped when the real deal, EVO, comes, so they're gonna have to change that. i doubt they're gonna make big changes to the standing lineup now tho, doesnt seem rational economically for a car manufacturer to change a lineup after one, and the first year of sales, but after all GPtourer's rumor is real positive in a way that it almost wishiful thinking, for a mitsu fan, but i dun know if it'll stand true for the company's economical concerns.

anyways my 2 cents, started commenting on rumors more often coz hey, thats almost all we have goin on in the forum as long as theres no real press releases out
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:10 AM

what GP tourer says is right except
I've also heard that the OZ model would get dropped when the EVO comes
is not going to be phased out!
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

A factory 4g63 Lancer would bring the tuner market to life in a hurry! It might make more sense for Mitsubishi to throw a 4G63 in the Eclipse but I doubt that will happen. I think a factory 4G64 would make for an easy 4G63 drop in or a fairly easy turbo conversion. Both motors are gettin old though.

timing belt failures, ticking lifters, crank walk...hmmmm

Hell, I am reading EVO VII owners complaining of lifter tick!

Turbo
Old Apr 12, 2002, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

63 or 64

I'm not so sure it would be so easy to swap a '63 for a '64, if they
chose a '64 for the OZ next year. The transmissions are on opposite
sides. I do hope that the OZ isn't cancelled. There is certainly room
for both it and the Evolution in the lineup, seeing as how the difference in price is going to be around 11-13K. My comments about their being an engine upgrade or the OZ being dropped were more rumor then fact. But I am pretty sure their will be an appearance change for the Lancer next year. Rumor also has it that the RS Eclipse will be dropped, so there will be room for a second sports car in the 17-19K range since all GS and GT Eclipses will probably remain in the 20-26K range. The Eclipse may continue to move upmarket to try and fill the shoes of the 3000, especially if the '05 model is as wild as they are claiming it to be. That would leave the OZ to fill in the pocket rocket slot to fight the Spec
V, Type S Corrolla, Si, Type R's, SVT Foci and all that other
jazz.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 09:04 AM

What did they say about the new eclipse?
Old Apr 12, 2002, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

GPTourer-
The 4G63 Engine you are thinking about (90-99 Eclipse) is on the drivers side. The EVO 4G63 has been on the passenger side since the EVO IV. Therefore it can be bolted right in place of a 4G64 engine.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Crazy 'Clipse

TearitUpSports said:

The 4G63 Engine you are thinking about (90-99 Eclipse) is on the drivers side. The EVO 4G63 has been on the passenger side since the EVO IV. Therefore it can be bolted right in place of a 4G64 engine.
Oh.

But that would still suck, since it would be much easier for a person (or
American I should say) to get a holt' of a USDM Eclipse 4G63, then a JDM Evolution 4G63.

I don't know much about the 4G Eclipse. I've seen some pictures
of concept cars, and they are as wild as a dune buggy thing with
4G63 power to a mad max looking coupe with all kinds of crazy scoops
and angles. Our reps are either pretty hush hush, or just don't know
either. I've heard Mivec V6, twin turbo 6G72 V6, to 4g63 as far as propulsion is concerned. Four wheel drive seems to be a commonality, though. But wild styling seems paramount. I just hope it doesn't get
too crazy. Al lot of the enthusiasts got upset when the 3G came out
because of its styling and lack of turbo, but I gotta tell you, they
SELL. I'll try to find figures for you, but the numbers go up every year.
We've practically run everybody else out of the market. Honda axed the
Prelude, Mercury is booting the Cougar. The F-bodies aren't quite in our
class, but I'm sure we've wooed some potential oweners, particularly V6 buyers. We joke the Integra and now the RSX, only the Celica comes close, I think. I'll have to find that chart.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:08 AM

Actually both the 4G63 and the 4G64 have been oriented both directions. In the older non turbo eclipse sypders and galants, the front was on the drivers side, like the DSM 4G63. Then for the new eclipse n/t and galant it was moved to the passenger side, Just like it was moved in the EVO after III.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Crazy 'Clipse

Originally posted by GPTourer
TearitUpSports said:

I don't know much about the 4G Eclipse. I've seen some pictures
of concept cars, and they are as wild as a dune buggy thing with
4G63 power to a mad max looking coupe with all kinds of crazy scoops
and angles. Our reps are either pretty hush hush, or just don't know
either. I've heard Mivec V6, twin turbo 6G72 V6, to 4g63 as far as propulsion is concerned. Four wheel drive seems to be a commonality, though. But wild styling seems paramount. I just hope it doesn't get
too crazy. Al lot of the enthusiasts got upset when the 3G came out
because of its styling and lack of turbo, but I gotta tell you, they
SELL. I'll try to find figures for you, but the numbers go up every year.
We've practically run everybody else out of the market. Honda axed the
Prelude, Mercury is booting the Cougar. The F-bodies aren't quite in our
class, but I'm sure we've wooed some potential oweners, particularly V6 buyers. We joke the Integra and now the RSX, only the Celica comes close, I think. I'll have to find that chart.
What do you think the difference is in the public’s eye between a 1G, 2G & 3G that makes the 3G sell so much better? Styling only? This is good news for Mitsubishi in general, but very bad for enthusiasts like me. It confirms that Mitsubishi can build a FWD NT that will out sell a complicated and expensive AWD Turbo plagued with warrantee problems. How has the reliability of the 3G been?
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:48 AM

The new eclipse is cheaper to make and warrenty. That makes the car cheaper, it is smoother (based on the CURRENT galant), and they advertise it like crazy. I'd still take the old one though. The company had to get back on it's feet, so they can bring the fast cars back without losing all their money.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
turbo442: i totally see to what ur saying... it almost seems like manufaturers think no one cares if the car's a piece of crap, but as long as it looks good... i mean, but other than being economically sound, its also that emission standards and insurance prices here dun really allow the average joe to own a potent street car, and the company to throw out and make good money out of, so from that stand point, we're gonna be seeing ALOT of the likes of nissan sentra SE-Rs... hopefully that wont be the case... i think the WRX wuz a good first step, then hopefully we're gonna be seeing Evos, 350Zs, Rx-8s, STis, then the Skyline + Silvia... we gotta let them know theres enough of us that besides the aluminum and fiberglass, we care bout whats running the car... well my 2cents
Old Apr 14, 2002, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

I think turbos are cool, but overly complicated. Dont get me wrong, I love turbos and have been modding turbo cars for many years. The EVO is limited to 2.0L partly due to rally requirements of the past. Why should we limit our selves to a turbo 2.0L iron block? 'no replacement for displacement' is true, and there are no displacement rules on the street. Lets see a NA aluminum V8 3.5L or Aluminum I6 4.0L in an AWD or RWD configuration. Turbos do have an emission issue, mainly I beleive, in the way they prevent the cat from heating up fast enough. Technology may be able to cure this, but do we really need the added complexity, cost, reliability issues? I would like to see a I6 4.0L 280 hp NA RWD 4G Eclipse that could go toe to toe with the Mustang. Keep it around 3000Lbs, have a nice chassis and a Brembo option available. NA Engine technology has been moving forward quickly in the motorcycle world, cars just dont develop quite as fast.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Model Blitz