Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo clutch wear / failure life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo clutch wear / failure life expectancy

Hey guys,

just curious. I hear all this talk about stock clutch on evo's being very weak and replacements happening very early in the car's liftime.

just curious, are people replacing their clutches because they are doing launches all the time.

I have never done any launches and I don't think i ever will. I'm not looking to mod the car since the car has enough power to make me happy. I'm using this car has my daily commuter car.

when you do think i will be needing to change my clutch. And should I get a aftermarket clutch when it does go down. and which one would you recommend. This is more of my daily driver car where I usually have a little bit of fun driving to and from work. I'm not going to race someone on the street because they are revving their engine and they barely got their license and they didn't get laid yet.

Thanks for your input. it really helps.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:23 PM

Did you buy the car used? If so, who knows what the previous owner did in the car. If you are not launching the car at all and are completely stock then I don't see why the clutch wouldn't last. If it does go out, depending on the year, just get it warrantied if you are stock. Otherwise, I would upgrade to an aftermarket. BTW, I am running my stock clutch for 30k with alot of mods and no issues, but I don't launch the car either. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

ive heard the clutch lasting to 25k. ive heard it going at 7k, for a guy who launched. If its your daily car you will get alot out of it, have no worries. and if it does go out get something performance, to make it more durable, you know, if you wernt satisfied the first time. IMO if you have to go in to change the damn thing anyway i would never go for stock in any car really, always upgrade lol
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:31 PM

the previous owner of the car was a 38 year old father who garaged and maintained the car. I saw previous dmv records showing proof and i have his number from the deal (which is illegal) for any questions.

No mods on the car. 22k miles.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i bought mine used with 8k, and i'm at 31k, no problems. i haven't even needed to adjust the clutch. if you drive it like a race car, it will wear like a race car. if you are normal with it, ( with some spirited driving and a couple of donuts), it is like a regular clutch. i have the habit of letting the clutch grab before hitting the gas cause my 4 runner made me do that, so i am slow in between shifts. i regularly shift between 3-6200 rpms daily. i downshift, engine brake when necessary, and drive it cold. its a little grabby in first and second when cold. ( although it's still a little grabby when warm). remember, grip it then rip it. LOL.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:10 PM

Nice!!!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 14,xxx miles on my car and my clutch has no problems.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:49 AM

It's all a matter of how you drive it. People who drive manual transmission cars have very widely varying levels of skill with it, and some people just wear out their clutches faster than others. The last car I sold had over 70,000 miles on the original clutch and it was still fine.

Everything depends on how you drive. I bought my Evo with 24,000 miles on it, and the clutch engagement is at the very top of the pedal travel, making me think I am going to need a new clutch really soon.

Also, I don't recommend engine braking unless you are rev matching, but that's a topic for the other forum on driving habits. Brake pads are much easier and cheaper to replace than synchros on a transmission.