Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mitsu not to warrantee any more clutches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation mitsu not to warrantee any more clutches

i took my car in and the rep will not warrantee my clutch. i did not drive hard at all. i only have about 6000 miles on my car. but the clutch is totally gone. i never launched hard. this is bull ****. and what is worse, the rep was told not not "allow" any more clutches or trannys to be paid for by warrantee. this is basically in the entire mid-west region. we need to stop this from happening right now. anyone want to help me with this because it happened to you, or you just feel like it. email me, pm me, whatever. im going legal with this issue. im horribly pissed at the moment and have contacted my lawyer. right your comments back,
-Andy Vanzant

Last edited by rt turbo; Sep 26, 2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch is a wear item, so they have legal recourse when denying warranty.

Transmission is covered by the driveline warranty. The cannot "not allow" warranty replacement of failures due to defect. Anyone who tells you that is bluffing to make you go away. Court action would eat them alive.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you are going legal with this.

I would find an expert mechanic in the area who can witness the removal of your clutch by Mitsu techs and attest (in court) whether or not the wear patterns are a) normal, b) indicative of abuse, and c) whether or not 6000 miles is a reasonable period in which a clutch should wear out.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

Start filing complaints with your states Attorney Generals office cause in states like Maryland they have a division called Division of Consumer Protection. Or

The Council of Better Business Bureaus operates the Auto Line program, which provides mediation and arbitration of disputes over manufacturing defects on vehicles still under warranty. Consumers should first contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) headquarters at 1-800-955-5100. The BBB will refer the complaint to the appropriate automaker and try to arrange a resolution.
Mediation is provided by the Automotive Consumer Action Program (AUTOCAP), a service directed by the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) but performed by state or local dealer associations. BMW, Honda/Acura, Isuzu, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, Nissan/Infiniti, and Volvo use the AUTOCAP mediation program.

For now on get everything in writing on on tape.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think the clutch should be warranteed for at least 36 mos. or 36,000 miles. It is BS to consider it wear after 6,000 miles. We should have them install the next clutch and have them warantee the clutch, coz otherwise, theyll probably get us if there something goes wrong with it if we get a better clutch. I dont think there is even a new car nowadays that needs a clutch replacement after 3 yrs/36000 miles, let alone 6,000 mi. We ALL need to do something about this, specially if yours is not a special case, and all our clutches burn before 10,000 mi.

STI

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Jul 15, 2003 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I also have a JD Powers survey that I havent filled in. I will let you use it (if you didnt get one) or if they give you more BS.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

When I got a fully warentee paid replacement of my maximas clutch they ended up just crateing a whole new transaxle from japan. Since it was the throwout bearing that failed and the clutch was not even 2/3 worn out. I had aprox 35000 miles on it.

They better replace it after only 6k or im gonna do some constructive yelling on the phone to .
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:52 PM

Hell yeah get them bastards!!!!!!! I am behind you 200% Mine went out at 3200 miles and had to yell at about 5 different people before they decided to fix it under warranty. It says in black and white in the manual that the clutch disk is covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles! They tried to bull**** me and tell me that it was normal for a clutch to go out that quick and I told them that I have been a mechanic for over 10 years and that they were basically full of sh#$! They CANNOT deny your warranty unless you tell them you were racing it.

Good luck!
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

here's the thing we all know mitsu reads this...so they may be shipping the current ones with better clutches (if they're a good company) and call the old ones back
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evoguy
Hell yeah get them bastards!!!!!!! I am behind you 200% Mine went out at 3200 miles and had to yell at about 5 different people before they decided to fix it under warranty. It says in black and white in the manual that the clutch disk is covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles! They tried to bull**** me and tell me that it was normal for a clutch to go out that quick and I told them that I have been a mechanic for over 10 years and that they were basically full of sh#$! They CANNOT deny your warranty unless you tell them you were racing it.

Good luck!
can you please point out which page it says this on?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:02 PM

Don't have the manual here but look on the pages that tell EXACTLY what is covered it says it there as well as on the posters that they put up in the dealers talking about there "GREAT" warranty, down at the bottom of them.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was the point of the poll I created.
Hopefully Mitsu will see this information and take another look at the clutch or more likely the pressure plate and determine if they were in fact wrong.
Transmission is just BS, how can one actually fail when the clutch doesn't apply any power to it.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:05 PM

I also offered to read it off the wall, over the phone to the regional manager at Mitsubishi when they told me it wasn't covered! I asked him if they put it in there by accident or was it really covered. The guy that sold the car to me busted out laughing when I did that. The manager had no idea what to say.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

i'm gonna go grab my evo warrenty book right now
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:09 PM

I purchased the extended warranty (Got a great deal 7 years 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty) and it says on the terms of what is covered that the clutch is covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles. I don't have this in front of me know as it is in my car, which is getting the 3M clear film installed, but when I get it back tomorrow I will look at the specifics.

Gumpy

Quick Reply: mitsu not to warrantee any more clutches