Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So how about I'm still having problems w/my mbc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how about I'm still having problems w/my mbc

So my mbc is from Buschur. I purchased it through this whole "stage 1" pack they had. The mbc was the last thing I installed ffrom the entire pack. Well...since I installed it I have been having problems. First pull I was spiking way high. Let's just say I let off the throttle when I got to 26psi (yeah). I know for a fact I installed it exactly as the instructions dictate. In any event, I posted a thread asking about what I can do to solve my problem, and someone advised I just switch the lines just to make sure. I did so and it seemed as if the problem was solved, but on further inspection I was tapering off to like 11psi every time.

I consulted a few ppl Buschur being one of them who advised I might have a boost leak. One of my friends told me it's probably just a small pin-hole in one of the hoses. So, I replaced to hoses from the wastegate-mbc and the turbo-mbc, as well as the hose I have looping the stock boost solenoid closed.

I did a pull and everything seemed ok. Until I did another pull and I'm boosting out of control. It's like, the car just boosts whatever the hell it wants whenever it wants. One pull it will be at 23psi and taper to 20psi. The next it will spike at 11 and hold at 11. Then the next it will spike at 25 and taper to 11. This is all with the mbc at the most counter-clockwise position. I'm just so frustrated because after all this stuff I bought, I can't even run my car from fear of blowing it up. Just needed to vent.

Buschur suggested I do a boost leak test, but I was under the impression that changing all the hoses would eliminate the possibility of a boost leak. Furthermore they advised to check the wastegate. I'm still uncertain of what he meant. He said something to the effect of make sure it's bolted down correctly. I'm pretty sure the wastegate shouldn't be a factor as my car is pretty new, only driven by myself, and has 8,000 miles on it. Anyway...I'll keep you guys updated when I finally get to run against someone.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To fix a possible leak, you just changed boost hoses? No, dude, you can have leaks ANYWHERE in the boost system.

Anyway, you probably had the hoses backwards at first, and then when you reversed them, you probably didn't have the MBC turned up enough. If everything is installed properly, and the MBC is set to 0, then there is no reason for it to be giving random boost levels ranging from 11-26psi. That would indicate a malfunction of some sort. Can you take the MBC apart to check the internal spring? I would also have someone else in your area who knows Evos take a look at everything to make sure there is nothing you're missing.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor

Check all of your intercooler hoses/connections to enusre that they are tight and properly seated. check that your vacumm lines are all zip tied and not too large for the source connection. If you don't have any boost leaks, at this point your MBC may need cleaned, I am not familiar with the MBC Provided in your kit, but if its a Ball & Seat type take it a part can clean with silicone spray. Any Debris or Dirt can hinder the performance of a MBC. I Hope this helps

- Aaron
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PURE TUNING
Check all of your intercooler hoses/connections to enusre that they are tight and properly seated.
Aaron, I'm assuming you already know, since you're a vendor, but I want it to be clear to the OP (and other newbies) that you cannot simply "check" the IC hoses and boost connections to ensure they are tight and properly-seated. People actually think you can "check" them by either looking at them or jiggling them a little bit, but this does nothing. You have to physically perform a boost leak test to find leaks, and that is far beyond just "checking."
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:34 PM

Gracias fellas. I'll look up how to make the tester and do it tomorrow. Not being able to run my car is a total drag. I'll update.