Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turn signal/hazard lights stopped working! (Electric Problem)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Turn signal/hazard lights stopped working! (Electric Problem)

My turn signal lights/Hazard light stopped working yesterday. Head light and everything else works fine. It's the hazard fuse that went out in the engine bay. The problem is that every time I replace it, it'll instantly pops. I have a turbo timer and an alarm. This happened all of the sudden after driving the car for about 1 hr. Prior to that I changed my spark plugs and washed my car. I've double checked the spark plugs and everything looked ok. I've tried pulling the plug wires and inserted the fuse and the fuse still went out instantly.

I took the car back to the guy who installed the aftermarket alarm, and he disconnected both turbo timer and alarm to see if they were causing this problem, but the fuse still popped regardless of the turbo timer, and alarm being connected to the power. He suspects that ETACS module is the problem since when he applied his tester into the problem fuse socket; it indicated that the electricity current is going positive and negative, positive and negative and so on constantly regardless of if the ignition is on or not. He said that this indicates that this is not a shortage problem and this is most likely caused by some type of a module.

Can anyone help me here with this problem? I just took it to the local mechanic and he saids it's the ECU. You know how they are when they can't figure out the problem...

Should I take it to the dealer now, or what do you all evo guru think?
By the way, I don’t have a warranty on this car anymore.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by RunEvo; May 11, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
You have a short break out the schematic and start chasing wires. Chances are you have a bare wire touching ground. Sounds like one of the wires he tapped into for your alarm
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
All of those electrical connections are by your left foot behind the drviers side kick panel
Old Apr 30, 2007, 08:16 PM

ok now my mechanic is also suspecting the ETAK module. I'll probably replace that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You have a short break out the schematic and start chasing wires. Chances are you have a bare wire touching ground. Sounds like one of the wires he tapped into for your alarm
thanks! but how come the electricity is fluctuating if its just a shortage?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's crazy! My brake lights stopped working yesterday too!!! WTF!!!
Old May 1, 2007, 12:05 PM

lol no help on electronical issues...?
Old May 1, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

can u just go to the dealer?
Old May 1, 2007, 04:02 PM

some dealers are untrustworthy, at least mazda dealers are for sure. in rx7 community there are hardly anyone that goes to the dealer to fix problems. Does anyone know what ETAK module is? The part itself is going to cost about $400 and i guess that needs to be replaced in order to have my turn signals working again according to the mechanic. With labor, it's going to cost me roughly $600.

Unlike rx7 forum, I'm surprised that no one on this forum knows enough about these cars to comment on this topic. Perhaps evolutions are too new and there isn't many people out there with full of knowledge about this car?

Last edited by RunEvo; May 1, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 11, 2007, 07:05 PM

Problem is fixed. The problem was the "ETECS MR5309". It's this device which controls the room lamp auto cut, center door lock, rear wiper, seat belt timer, keyless entry,turn signal, and hazard warning. I hope this thead will help anyone that encounters similar problems related to the list above.

Last edited by RunEvo; May 11, 2007 at 07:07 PM.