Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nose Mask / Bra for EVO

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nose Mask / Bra for EVO

I was wondering if anyone has any photos of the Mitsubishi factory Nose Mask / Bra for the EVO 8?

I'm debating the bra for my black EVO. On the plus side it protects the front end from paint chips and dings, especially with the ashes and salt in winter. On the minus side if I add a splitter or the cannards it won't fit anymore (assuming I don't cut it to make tha cannards fit). Also on the minus is the maintenance of removing it before it gets wet and cleaning it and the car before putting it back on, and the potential to scratch the car putting it on and off.

My past experience has shown me both major nicks in the paint prevented but minor installation scratches and lots of overhead removing and re-installing.

This is why I'd like to see a photo. Anyone have a picture?????
Old May 31, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, anyone?

I may be interested too, on the trip up to Thunderhill at the WORKS event, got spattered with bugs and such, and takes a long time to take those off!!

May be one of those Clear Bras, anybody with one?

Wilson
Old May 31, 2003, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it would be nice to hear if anyone has done the 3M Clear Bra treatment.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old May 31, 2003, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

The clear bra works, helps prevent rock chips and what not. You can clearly see the edge of the film on your car. There's no getting around that. The biggest downside to the clear bra may depend on who does it. The cost. It's pretty expensive for the stuff. Look to spend around $500 or more for a clear bra.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not real interested in the clear bra...too hard/expensive to apply too much hassles and when you take it off you permanently take it off. I'm talking low-tech black nose-cover here. Any photos or opinions?

I don't want to create a poll but I would like to see what it looks like and what every one else's bra experience has been (no jokes please)....and slo if people think it's worth the hassle...
Old May 31, 2003, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have any pictures but here's my .02 which comes from years of experience trying to keep my cars chip free.

I have owned many front end bras, and they can work ok for road trips when the weather is decent and you are just going to be cruising. Every bra fits differently, and some flap worse than others. No matter how good they fit you will find that going over 85-90 with a bra is asking for flutter and flap, and this will cause scuffing(trust me I know). This also causes frustration when you really want to open her up but suddenly remember that you have the bra on. In really hot weather the bra can cause even worse paint damage as the paint tends to soften (again this is from experience).

I have always made every effort to always clean my car and bra carefully before using it to avoid any kind of grit. Never ever had a bra on in the wet. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, you will see scuffing sooner or later. Typically this shows-up at the top of the front fender bends where the bra wraps back around to the fender wells, and also shows-up across the trailing edge on the hood where even minimal flapping will have its way sooner or later.

Also beware of waxing prior to slapping on a bra.
It seems like a good idea...right? Fresh wax, no matter how well buffed will promote added scuffing as the bra felt works back and forth against the ultra thin layer of new wax. Again I found this out the hard way, and I had a long conversation with the bra manufacturer about it.

BTW-Black is the worst color for bras...period. I have owned many black cars, and have found that in the end the protection gained by a bra just isn't worth it with black cars. Same with any dark color really. Inversely black is a great color for touch-up, and the clear bra material is really invisible on black or dark colored cars. I would personally go with either nothing and touch-up as needed, or get the clear bra installed with a black car. Armourglove http://WWW.ARMOURGLOVE.COM
does make and EVO kit and there are people on this board using that specific kit.I have owned cars with stoneguard and it does work great! Install will be tough on the highly contoured EVO air damn.

White, silver, yellow or other light colored cars don't show bra scuffs as easily, so it might be worth owning a bra for these cars if you plan on longer bug-infested driving trips. The clear bra material is a lot easier to see on the lighter colors making that option less desirable. I have seen more than a few white and silver cars where the clear film has yellowed over a couple of years.

Sorry for the long post,but just wanted to share some of my experiences which may or may not fit your situation.
Old May 31, 2003, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, I was considering the factory bra for my black OZ and never really considered or heard of any of this. Thanks a ton for posting it.
-N
Old May 31, 2003, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting....I can say at this point I am leaning toward no bra....touch-ups as needed. It just seems tha hassle and the almos guaranteed paint problems and scratches that come with the bra versus the possibility of a nick may be a good risk.

I am also very interested in the cannards or a spliiet which makes a factory bra uselss.

Thanks for the opinions....keep them coming. I would love to see a photo still...

Has anyone out there bought the facotry bra?
Old Jun 1, 2003, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know if the Factory bra has openings or screens for the bumper and intercooler vents. If it's screen it may restrict air but it may also block more crap from getting thought the intercooler screen...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

I have the OEM Mitsubishi bra on my Apex Silver Evo. I do not know how to post pictures here or I would. The mask is actually pretty cool looking material and has openings for the intercooler and the other openings.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

My plan is to just go with a hood cover bar in the Winter. rocks and stones will bounce off the plastic bumper....off the alluminum hood though...OUCH!

I've had marks down to the metal with previous cars.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Meeyatch1...do you have a photo of it on your computer?

If so it's as easy as posting and in the attach file section clicking on the BROWSE button until you find your photo. If not you'll haver to scan a normal photo or take a picture with a digital camera. I'm hoping you can because I'd really like to see it and so far no one else has it.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Any luck Meeyatch1?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by wmcorcor
Any luck Meeyatch1?
The file was too big according to the site when I tried to post it..any other options?

Quick Reply: Nose Mask / Bra for EVO