Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

please help strange grumbling sound.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help strange grumbling sound.

Hello I'm currently selling my evo 9 while doing this I've noticed a strange grumbling sound while driving along, it's very loud from inside the cabin. When you turn the wheel when in motion right the noise stops and it sounds very normal but from straight all the way around to full lock left the noise is there it even vibrates a little when the noise is present. Does anyone know what this might be? I've noticed it while driving a few people around for a test drive. The car drives straight doesn't pull to the side it you move the wheel left and right slightly while driving the noise stays constant if I was to sway from left to right every time the car was going right the noise stops as soon as I take it to the left it starts grumbling

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dave
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your front springs in your suspension is binding,I would not say its normal but its pretty common.You Just have it checked out to be sure and to fix it you need to install a small rubber hose onto the coil of the spring right at the beginning and another at the end,its very easy.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by studioface
Your front springs in your suspension is binding,I would not say its normal but its pretty common.You Just have it checked out to be sure and to fix it you need to install a small rubber hose onto the coil of the spring right at the beginning and another at the end,its very easy.

Binding springs don't make constant noise driving in a straight line. What's he's describing is characteristic of a bad wheel bearing. Sounds like this one is on the passenger side. If you jack up the right side of the car and grab each wheel, it should feel solid and immobile in comparison with the rest of the car. But I'd bet you'll find one that has a bit of play in it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well speaking from experience mine does this issue even in a straight line while driving on a uneven road and it was due to my springs rubbing on the strut because the rubber insulation that the springs are seated in got worn out and caused metal to metal contact.So OP check Suspension,wheel bearings and sway bar.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...end-noise.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...se-listen.html