Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drove 03 cobra, now confused. Previous cobra owners help!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove 03 cobra, now confused. Previous cobra owners help!

Ok my evo is a 2003 with 15,000miles, i owe 18 on it. cobra is a 03 convertable with 35000miles and is 24,500. Both cars flawless condition. I can get 20 for my evo on trade in and chances are they wont move on the cobra. Ok my evo is about 450 hp give or take a bit runs 12.2@115 easy. I dont shift hard or none of that just let motor do work. I drove the cobra and i was expecting much much more power wise. The car felt like it was very very heavy. And not at one time did i have the thrown in my seat feeling. The tranny was the worst net to a 18speed tractortrailor rig. And i thought evo trannys suck. I come from hondas where the smooth as butter. The interior was nice but the fit and finish was not that great, normal ford quility. But the paint was eye poping, like a 100% better quility than my mitsu. The looks ar the same to me, both cars sweet. Stang needs tires, mine are new. I would be trading my car in stock so i could sell the parts and use the money for the stang. OK i purchased and evo fora daily driver, my kid was small and a 4door was great. I hit the drag strip about once a month. And never do any road racing. The convertable and easy mods i think is whats pulling me to the stang. I love to race my Evo but im scared silly of having to buy a TC or someother part that cost way more than any human should have to pay for. With that said my evo is no longer my daily driver. I only use it for joy rides and track on the weekends. I would love to hate on the ford for reliability reason, cause the rest of there cars suck. but i wont be putting enough miles on the stang to really see those problems. And honestly i do not know how bad they are to fix. I am a mechanic for the airforce for 10years so i work on fords all day long, and yes the trucks suck. If any previous cobra owners what to help me out here, please do. Now i do have money for mods and stuff thats not the issue. I just dont want to have to dump 2 grand on a tc one day. where mustang stuff seems to be cheaper. Any coments are apriciated. Lets not make this a mustang hater deal, im just looking for advise maybe from people have been on the other side of the fence. thanks
Old May 17, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldN'T trade my evo for all the mustangs in the world, and I don't even hate mustangs

Last edited by byron3636; May 17, 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

driven a stang many times, slow, boring, can't take turns, and is worse in terms of breaking down all over the place. the car just felt uninspired and lackluster.

REMEMBER,

FORD = Fix or Repair Daily.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by byron3636
I would trade my evo for all the mustangs in the world, and I don't even hate mustangs

Then why don't you trade your EVO for a Mustang
Old May 17, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

think he left off the n't
Old May 17, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milo
Then why don't you trade your EVO for a Mustang
Ahah good call man, fast reply but messed it up. As for the inspiration thing, I felt that too, it was as if something was lacking. And i honestly dont know if a 150hp more would have fixed it. Kinda like being along for the ride instead of being driver
Old May 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by puckadog
think he left off the n't
yes and evom is being so slow today leaving me slow to correct it...

DOH!
Old May 17, 2006, 08:35 AM

yuck, evo>mustang
Old May 17, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damian, you have around 350-360whp, not 450. Cobras don't trap 115 in stock form, so I don't know why you'd expect it to feel as fast. It will trap higher than 115 after a few basic mods, though. Also, 24.5k for 35k miles doesn't sound too good. I remember almost buying one new for 29.5k at Carmax, but the RWD power in the Winter would not have been practical.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Damian, you have around 350-360whp, not 450. Cobras don't trap 115 in stock form, so I don't know why you'd expect it to feel as fast. It will trap higher than 115 after a few basic mods, though. Also, 24.5k for 35k miles doesn't sound too good. I remember almost buying one new for 29.5k at Carmax, but the RWD power in the Winter would not have been practical.
Im sure your right, i made 312hp on pump before I added the meth, 280's, down pipe and manifold. I would think Al custom tune would add more than just 50hp with those mods, But then again I ran the 115 with a worthless clutch that sliped very bad in first and second. So who knows. Ahh so undecide, thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

his evo is not stock.. the cobra wont stay stock... if he has 450 AWHP on the EVO that means he has a turbo kit. If you cranks up the cobra like that he will be 600-700 rwhp. which will run good at the strip.

I have thought about getting an 03-04 cobra and going twin turbo with it. It is kinda like an EVO cobra RWD hybrid. There is a big rivalry between the cobra guys and the EVO guys. I think it is because they are both great cars and the they are the biggest competition to each other. Either car is a good choice. If you need a back seat ... EVO 100%. If you want a drag car... COBRA 100%.

I know EVO's can own at the strip too. Corba's can too, cheaper.

EDIT>> oh, you have 350 AWHP. Cobra with a pully and a basic tune will be better for the drag strip.

Last edited by Cajun Power; May 17, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

I know alot about Cobras, my brother has one with a KB on it. They have a solid motor, solid drivetrain that won't need to be upgraded like ours will, and have alot of potential at the drag strip. There one downfall is their weight, they tip the scales at almost 3,700 pounds.

They don't really handle all that well (compared to the evo) and they are underbraked (in my opinion) for how heavy of a car it is. If you want to drag race, Cobras have more potential than Evos. However, for the price difference, you could get a GT35R installed and run low 11s, which is still faster than most heavily modified cobras. And you could drive the Evo in the rain/snow/cold weather, whereas an 11 second cobra is a garage queen.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:56 AM

I use my Evo about like you use yours. I have a littler more power and have run 11.1@127, but my drivetrain is stock. I don't no lift shift and try to be as kind to the drivetrain as I can. I also have a 99 mustang gt convertible for a daily. I drive the mustang most days and love the convertible, but when I want to get nasty the Evo comes out. I would wait maybe another year and pick up a used mustang gt convertible, and keep the Evo. There are plenty out there for a decent price, and mine only has 26,000 miles although it's a 99. Good luck in whatever you decide
Old May 17, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YellowEvo, what do you mean by "price difference"? Cobras don't cost more than Evos, so there's no getting a GT35r by keeping the Evo. Also, heavily modified Cobras can easily run faster than low 11s. Hell, lightly-modded Cobras can run low 11s - that's just a matter of traction.
Old May 17, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
If you need a back seat ... EVO 100%. If you want a drag car... COBRA 100%.

I know EVO's can own at the strip too. Corba's can too, cheaper.
Cajun Power don't take offense to this, but what the heck are you talking about, the only advantage of an EVO is the back seat??? What about handling, what about the brakes (which have saved my *** on more than one occassion), what about the advantage of AWD during NC winters (does it snow there, not sure), what about the fact that it's a freakin' Ford and that's a lot coming from a Mitsubishi owner, and what about weight (The Cobra is very heavy and feels it). Look don't get me wrong, the Cobra as far as straight line performance has few equals, but the EVO overall is the superior performance car and I guarrantee the Cobra will get very old very quickly, why because the EVO is that great of a car. Many Cobra owners have made the switch, and some EVO owners who went Cobra, have switched back to the EVO.

Quick Reply: Drove 03 cobra, now confused. Previous cobra owners help!