Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drove 03 cobra, now confused. Previous cobra owners help!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sxhawnn
Plus the 07 SHelby GT500 cobra looks means as hell too.
What?

It looks like it has "sad eyes" and an open mouth, like a fat lady who just dropped a cake.....

*Oh and other than that it basically looks just like all the other ones

Last edited by Offender; May 17, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I wasn't done making fun of the way the car looks
Old May 17, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To add fuel on the fire
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...1B371025D8.htm

If you not seen it , its very impressive (found it it the "other car" section)
Old May 17, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

yea i just read the wheel hop and i have a friend with a i think its a diablo tune or something like that a pulley intake exhaust and messed up that irs and had to go with a straight axle with is it 4:10 gears i think? the thing is every car has its weak point just gotta wait and see wat it is.
Old May 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I sold my 04 Cobra to buy the Evo. It had a whipple and supporting mods boosting ~18 psi. It made upwards of 620 rwhp on 93 but it didn't handle worth a damn. Not compared to the Evo anyway. It feels a lot heavier and I couldn't stand the body roll in corners. The Cobra is definately better for drag racing. But the Evo is superior in just about every other category.

I have to disagree with whoever said the mustangs break down more then the Evos. The Evo has given me 10x the headaches the mustang did. After being on the SVT forums for a long time, then coming here, I can honestly say there are many more complaints about mechanical problems here. Still, I wouldn't go back to the Cobra. The Evo is much more fun to drive.
Old May 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twinscrewed
I sold my 04 Cobra to buy the Evo. It had a whipple and supporting mods boosting ~18 psi. It made upwards of 620 rwhp on 93 but it didn't handle worth a damn. Not compared to the Evo anyway. It feels a lot heavier and I couldn't stand the body roll in corners. The Cobra is definately better for drag racing. But the Evo is superior in just about every other category.

I have to disagree with whoever said the mustangs break down more then the Evos. The Evo has given me 10x the headaches the mustang did. After being on the SVT forums for a long time, then coming here, I can honestly say there are many more complaints about mechanical problems here. Still, I wouldn't go back to the Cobra. The Evo is much more fun to drive.
Ok man now I'm feeling this, I think I have a case of greens is greener syndrome. Hey man what did you actually get for gas milage with those mods. With my setup now on the evo i honestly get better gas milage than i did stock. Well on the highway.
Old May 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

I have pictures of the 07 Cobra at 1 Lap America a week ago, one of the Ford engineers was driving it. Wasn't that impressive to me. If someone wants to post them pm me a email address and I'll send them.
Old May 17, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO I would keep the evo. I would never buy any mustang unless it was the old ones.

The evo is all around a better car. Its more practical. It will get better mileage and the fill up at the pump wont be as bad. The evo will definitely handle and brake much better. The interior IMHO is better. And IMHO it looks waaay nicer too.

You should be thinking of trading in a mustang for a evo not vice versa.
Old May 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

id buy an 07 cobra...****...**** the handling...straight vrooom...thats the reason for it...evo is for turns ..cobra is for straight line..
Old May 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

No matter how tough a Cobra motor is...I can say for sure that I dont like them because they still ride like a 1978 chassis, which isnt too far off.

Solid, predictable, fast and tractable handling.......nothing the Cobra has.
Old May 17, 2006, 03:27 PM

Ford spelled backwards is DRIVER RETURNS ON FOOT
Old May 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

thats a good one, the best one i had heard before that was "FUC#ED on the real deal"
Old May 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HoLLaBack112
Ford spelled backwards is DRIVER RETURNS ON FOOT
Drof's are amazing cars and engineering marvels. Aside from that I think the majority of the argument here has been settled and it comes down to how you are going to use it.

Straightaways only and garaged during poor weather = Cobra
Anything else = Evo

One other thing to think about is what areas you are good at when it comes to working on a car, I haven't ever worked on a Mustang but I'm going to be willing to make the very small leap of faith to say Evo's have much better tuning options than the Mustang. Plus depending on where you are at the idea of wanting to be a part of a larger or smaller driver/mod community in relation to the number to mustangs/evo's in your area. There are tons more mustangs out there than there are Evos and the Evo is a more serious car overall (unless you talk about classics, the classic mustang guys are hard core) and I will also take a guess and say you will run into more people who talk total cod **** who own tang's compared to the people who own Evos....
Old May 17, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Funny that I saw this thread when I did, I was just on my way down the page to post up my stang for sale... After owning my evo for 3 years and then buying my GT, I can honestly say the ONLY things I like about the mustang is the down low torque (no lag) and cruise control... I can understand you flirting with buying an svt...however, I dont feel that you will be happy with one. they are too bulky, traction problems, eat the gas...etc... just my 2 cents...now back to selling my car...lol...good luck btw
Old May 17, 2006, 03:59 PM

i'll give my honest opinion as i recently owned an 03 cobra.

my biggest complaints about the cobra is it's weight (which you can definately feel) and the way it turns. it really does feel like you're turning a boat. the brakes are not that bad as they're cobra specific, but it takes good brakes to stop the heavy car. i had a 2.4 kb on mine with all supporting mods and it dynoed 600whp/600wtq all blower. on a 75 shot it made over 700whp and around 800wtq. this was all on pump, which was nice. however traction and wheel hop became a problem here. someone mentioned earlier in this thread that cobras don't have drivetrain problems. that's bs. the input shafts are weak and snap easily. the halfshafts are not the greatest and are known to break with one bad wheel hop. an irs brace is also a must. without it you will definately bust the housing. the one thing i would've done had i kept the car is swapped in a built solid rear. if you dont do much street racing and want to keep it at the drag strip go ahead and get the cobra. i can't really compare it to the evo because i've only driven one and it had 4 miles on the odometer so i couldn't do much with it. but i can say that getting out of the cobra and into my s2000 was a relief. the cobra, imo, was just annoying to drive. it was my weekend car and it was never babied when i drove it. i beat the hell out of it. the motor is extremely strong (with a turbo setup 800+whp on the stock motor is cake). hope this helped some, lol. below is a link to my cobra.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127836
Old May 17, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

id rather have a vette

Quick Reply: Drove 03 cobra, now confused. Previous cobra owners help!