Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IMO is somewhat RICE to change it E8 taillights to E7 lights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, rice is simply anything extra showy that doesn't necessarily reflect upon the overall performance of your car. For example, lots of stickers. I can understand having decals for all your various products that you have installed on your car, but when you think of it, where do you draw the line?

It's not like you're a Nascar driver, and remember kids, they get paid for sporting all those. Outside of folks that run decal packages as part of their sponsorship, it's just free advertisement.

Looking at the Evo 7 tail conversion as being ricey doesn't hold up in my eyes. The whole concept of altezzas being ricey came from folks putting them onto non-Altezzas in the first place, and then it was an expensive non-performance mod. But in the case of swapping out the altezzas on the 8 for non-altezzas isn't ricey. If anything, it's de-ricing the 8.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:42 PM

Agreed with ghostrider.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

I remember when i used to go on Superhonda.com and alota people who were asian got really affended.. b/c some people started to use teh word "rice" on that forum..and alota asian people got offended and they made it a huge thread.... lol..idk why im reminded of that but i am... I think that some cars look bad or w.e...or some people are idiots when it comes to cars... But truthfully they shouldn't give one thing about what i think about there car... The only people i don't like is people who mod their cars so that other people think it looks cool...Personally.. If som1 doesn't like my car thas cool..and if som1 likes me car thas cool too...sure it feels good when som1 gives you props for your car... but the more important thing for me is knowing when i look outside my window..I liek the way it is..not somoneone else....

Jus my .02 cents..
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by drmosh
Good investment? I don't think so, it makes 0 sense to change perfectly fine taillights, you can call them "rice" or whatever you want, but it's pure vanity to spend 400 on taillights when 400 could get you a turbo timer + boost controller + G Tech.

Gtech is pretty ricey.
Its about as acurate as 2 tin cans and line of string are as a phone.

If i bought an Evo, the first things i would toss would be the ricer tail lights, and the horrendous front end. I would swap them with the Evo 7 parts.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Good point. The G-Tech won't give you any performance gains either, and neither will the turbo timer, so those are rice as well.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:12 AM

No way. I know someone who just came from the dyno and the G-tech gave them 25 rwhp.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

and neither will the turbo timer, so those are rice as well.
are you serious? Turbo timers are kinda important, unless you like replacing your turbos every 25k miles.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:32 AM

are you serious? Turbo timers are kinda important, unless you like replacing your turbos every 25k miles.
Mmm, I could be wrong, but I think ghostrider was trying to be funny, bud. Obviously, everyone realizes (even we NA non-turbo poor sob's) that a turbo timer is important and not "ricey" (whatever the hell that means )

Like I said, I could be wrong though.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't use a turbo timer.. I find it a bit of a waste, it used to be really important to keep from baking the bearings on your turbo.. With synthetic oils, its not really as necessary unless your really hard on your car, it gives the bearings time to cool off in the turbo.. However, a wise investment is an "After Oiler" or what most drag racers call an Accumulator.. It will keep the engine (or turbo bearings if you want) pressurised with oil in the event of oil pump (pressure) failure, but it has the side effect of keeping the engine oiled after its shut down for some period of time. Its the best investment you can make if you are too lazy to wait 2-5 minutes before shutting off the engine. Now for the Rice -vs- nice comments.. Personally I don't much care for the eye candy, neon, altezzas, loud stereos, lots of uneccesary instrumentation honkin all over the place.. thats what I would consider rice.. only I wouldn't call it rice, just eye candy. I truly believe that form follows function, and if you are making functional modifications, you will get a little form to go along with it. In the end, there's nothing wrong with personalizing your car with things you like. Its when there is NO SUBSTANCE behind the style that makes it tacky.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:41 AM

IF the car needed a turbo timer, it would have come with one.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:49 AM

Aftermarket Turbo

IF the car needed a turbo timer, it would have come with one.
And if one were to add an aftermarket turbo?
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Evoandy

The turbo timer is a convenience, as is an electronic boost controller. The poor man's guide to modifications would dictate taking an extra couple of minutes to drive "normally" before you shut down, and the let it idle a bit while parked.

A manual boost controller can some times be better than an electronic boost controller as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evoandy

No, I wasn't kidding. As dmora said, it's a convenience for all you folks that wanna floor out your car and get the turbo all warmed up just before you pull up to your place and then promptly turn off the car. If you're silly enough to do that, then yes, you better like hell get a turbo timer cuz you WILL be replacing yoru turbo.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by insomniac_evo
it'll add at least 50 hp yeah?
I think the fact that the Evolution VII has more power and torque and faster acceleration times (that I have seen anyway) than the US Evolution VIII proves that the Evolution VII lights give a significant performance advantage.

Aston
Old Apr 14, 2003, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

thats why i said "somewhat" rice......i dont really think i'd treat it exactly as a riceboy mod, but i think that it is beginning to venture into that territory

maybe its just coz i see so many threads saying "omg i need jdm this jdm that swap the 7 parts" and all that stuff

Quick Reply: IMO is somewhat RICE to change it E8 taillights to E7 lights