Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu Evo Web Site Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vishnu Evo Web Site Update

Hello Guys,
We have started to update our web site with some dyno graphs and initial findings on the new Evo VIII. We hope you new owners of the Evo are having as much fun as we are with this fantatsic car! Take care guys.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm

Brett Payne
Vishnu performance Systems.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

"More power coming soon", uhhh! Anxiously waiting!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

That pic of 3 different colored EVOs on the dyno is really cool!!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Not to get into another dyno thread debate, (which might spark...but oh well thats what this board is for).....but that was a good write up on the evo. But......Vish might be right in assuming the 10hp loss might be from the mounting of the engine(doubt it) but, more from margins of error on vishnu's behalf. Not, to say that he is wrong, because I believe his number to pretty accurate. But, at the same time I find it hard to believe that this car is not putting down 200hp. Now, when I say margin of error, I mean more in fuel and dyno discrepencies. I think 10 hp can easily be had from more learning from the ECU, pump 93 octane gas, and more break in time like he stated. I'd be willing to bet over a decent amount of time with running good gas this car will put down over 200hp....not by alot but can still be done. Just my 2 cents. take it how you will.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

As much as I would like to agree on the break in and learning ability of the ecu, it is just not the case. We are now on 550 dyno pulls on our shop Evo, and over 3000 miles are on the odo. If it was going to pick up some extra ponies, it probably should have by now. The octane is a limiting factor for us poor souls on the 91 pee juice we have here in CA, but hopefully we will get some better gas in the near future. Until then we will do our best to extract as much power safely out of the Evo motor on this gas.

Brett.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Figured i'd jump in here before another dyno debate begins. First of all, our dyno has close to 700 EVO pulls logged on it. Most of those are on our car, of course.

We have dyno'd seven different production EVOs, one of them being an early build date press car. Five of the EVOs dyno'd at an average of 182 wheel hp, run after run. One of them dyno'd a bit higher at approx 188 wheel hp. The press car dyno'd at an average of 202 wheel hp. With all the cars, octane has a big issue and I suspect much of the run to run variance can be accounted for by an active knock sensor. Of course, I'm confident that there are other things going on as far as the press car is concerned... but that's another story.

After over 500 tuning runs on our shop car, I can testify to the difficulty in running 18psi of boost on 91 octane safely. I have tried many approaches to squeezing out more power. Some sucessful, some semi-sucessful, and other downright unsucessful. This car is a difficult car to tune given the constraints we face on the west coast (low octane).

For what it's worth, it took me no more than 50-60 dyno runs to finalize our 93 octane maps. Making sufficient safe power on the good gas was as easy as taking candy from an octane-hungry baby.

As for 91 octane maps, the situation couldn't be any different. I've already logged nearly 400 runs and we're finally getting to the point were I think we should be with the car. Our beta testing program starts next week with a few local EVO owners. It will be some time before we offer kits, via mail order. Judging by car-to-car variance and yet-to-be-determined differences depending on build dates/serial numbers, there's not a big enough sampling pool to send out ]packaged "upgrade kits" and expect them to work as advertised. All of our early EVO tuning work will be an in-house turn-key affair. This car is way too high-strung in stock form to approach any other way. We might not be the first to the market but we will makes sure that no stone is left unturned. The EVO is a wonderful car and it would be a shame to detract from any particular area of performance/durability.

Best Regards,

Shiv Pathak
Engine Calibrator & Owner
Vishnu Performance Systems

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 22, 2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv I know you said most boost for production cars. Didnt the sabb viggen make 22psi? I know its not in production anymore , but that is alot of boost. What other production turbos make that kind of boost from the factory?

Thanks for all your time and imput.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Great page & info Shiv. Be sure to keep us posted on progress you make with the sorry 91 octane limitations we face here in Cali. Also, any word or results on the talks with Mitsu (regarding power ratings, the ringer, etc.) ?

heff
Old Mar 21, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

silvrevo-- Yep, I think your right. A while back, some SAABs were running incredibily high boost pressures. In fact, they use to distinguish against their lower-boosted turbo cars by calling some of them "light pressure turbos." In recent times, though, I can't think of a car to run more boost than the EVO. Peak boost levels might come close but I haven't seen another stock turbo car run so much boost right up to redline. The WRX, for instance, runs a peak boost of just over 14psi. By 6500rpm, however, boost tapers off to just 7psi. Porsche 993tt and 996tt do the same thing. Such boost management does two things: 1) Keeps the tiny turbos they often rely on from over-spinning and 2) Keeps the car operating knock-free in the upper rpm range where it is most detonation-prone.

heff-- I got a call from a rep at Mitsubishi USA a couple days ago. We talked, at length, about the situation. He is looking into it. He is very willing to find out what is going on. I'll report back as soon as I have something to report.

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak
Engine Calibrator and Owner
Vishnu Performance Systems
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

What sort of power difference is there between 91 and 93 octane gas? Thanks

I've tried running 100 octane before and the car flew! The difference was very noticable.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

according to the page, 8-10, RA29.

-K
Old Mar 23, 2003, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RA29
What sort of power difference is there between 91 and 93 octane gas? Thanks

I've tried running 100 octane before and the car flew! The difference was very noticable.
On a stock EVO, we've seen nearly 10 wheel hp on our dyno from simply bumping octane from 91 to 93. The delta becomes even greater when we start to modify the car for more engine output.

Cheers,
shiv
Old Mar 23, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Shiv,
If the Evo is running about 19 psi of boost max, which is MUCH higher than a WRX, one would think the power would be much higher. I have been thinking about this since the Euro Evo and JDM Evo run the same boost, but have much higher power. What variables really affect the power difference? This kind of leads me to believe, that unless Mitsu changed internal parts (cams, etc) that most, if not all, of the power could be found in the ECU. Your research point you in that direction?
Thanks and keep it up,
Todd
Old Mar 23, 2003, 07:56 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 91TB78
Shiv,
If the Evo is running about 19 psi of boost max, which is MUCH higher than a WRX, one would think the power would be much higher. I have been thinking about this since the Euro Evo and JDM Evo run the same boost, but have much higher power. What variables really affect the power difference? This kind of leads me to believe, that unless Mitsu changed internal parts (cams, etc) that most, if not all, of the power could be found in the ECU. Your research point you in that direction?
Thanks and keep it up,
Todd

Not if the exhaust is plugged up. Whether 19psi makes a lot of power or not will depend on how restrictive the exhaust is (and indeed anything in the system after the boost guage takeoff).

Charles
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:18 PM

euro spec evo runs on 98 ron

jdm on 101 i think

euro spec 296hp

jdm 305 aprrox

Quick Reply: Vishnu Evo Web Site Update