Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer not getting any more Evos?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer not getting any more Evos?

I have been haggling with a local over-MSRP dealership for the last few days. We named a price last night that was over MSRP and put a deposit down to hold the car while I thought about whether I really wanted to do it or not. I decided not to and told them that this morning. The dealer then told me "these are the only Evos we're getting, no more are coming in."

I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting this or not, as it does sound like a pretty standard "scare tactic" to get me to change my mind again. I can kind of believe the story because the dealer already got 8 Evos in the first batch, and the average per dealership is somewhere around that (6500 Evos to like 700 dealers I think).

Then again this is the #1 volume dealership in the US and they were supposed to get 13 Evos, but sold 5 to their sister dealership in San Anotnio. They should probably get more later on if they're that big... and I have a hard time believing that Mitsubishi put all 6500 cars out on this first wave. Especially since we haven't seen any cars with the small spoilers yet!

Like I said, just cruious if anyone else has gotten this one fed to them yet?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:46 PM

its funny how dealers are starting to use the old, im not getting any more of these in tactic and us poor saps on the East coast have yet to recieve our first Evo. This sucks where is my damn Evo.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by phonikz
its funny how dealers are starting to use the old, im not getting any more of these in tactic and us poor saps on the East coast have yet to recieve our first Evo. This sucks where is my damn Evo.
I also got the guilt trip: "someone came in earlier and offered more than you did on the car but we couldn't sell it because you had a deposit on it. I guess we'll have to call him back now that you've removed your deposit. They're going to be upset to hear they could have sold that car."
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Don't sweat it. That's a standard scare tactic. It's funny how dealers claim they are the biggest too. A dealer here in Seattle told me they were the largest volume dealer in the country.

It's already been verified that Mitsubishi is going to make these all year long. Turns out that they can only make about 6500 though. That means they will be trickling in all year.

You can also count on the "demand" dealers are claiming to be extremely inflated. They are trying to create a sense of urgency that you won't get your car if you don't buy now at their "reasonable" markup.

Those with patience will be rewarded.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

6500 divided by 50 states = 130 per state.
Not every state will get 130 though.
How many dealers per state?
My dealer is only getting two for now, but he said he might not know how many more until they are about to ship.
He makes it sound like is bad at communicating.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:52 PM

They will get more.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

More will come. Just remember, it doesnt matter about the volume entirely. MMSA based their allocation on customer service. For example a small dealership in Roswell, NM is getting around 4 or so, they dont sell alot, but have great customer service. Look them up "Roswell Mitsubishi", they can probably secure you one if they havent sold them all.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

I fell for that tactic once when I got my 99 RS. Boy was I pissed when I learned that in 2000 they weould be sitting on lots everywhere! (99 was a year in which you practically had to order them). Good thing that Sube dealer went out of business!

Never again will I fall for it, or any other tactic used to play on my emotions.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I think my dealer really is the largest volume in the US. They claim it on their radio ads, and I think that'd be pretty illegal if they were lying.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys I am a GSM for a Mitsu store, the largest dealer is Barrett Mitsu. The EVO's are being sent to dealers based on their Lancer sales primarily. Whoever told you they won't be getting anymore is wrong. We just got our next allocation schedule and have two more coming. The deliveries for the EVO are spread out over the year so if they won't have dealers with just one shipment. Let me know if you need anymore info.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ScoobyBoost
Don't sweat it. That's a standard scare tactic.
It could also well be true oh ignorant one. One of the five stores in my (major metropolitan) market has long since sold the ONLY Evo they will be recieving this year. Another store in my district is not going to recieve any Evo's this year AFAIK.

BTW

Production for 2003 is 4,600 units. Mitsubishi themselves announced that, remember? No more year-old rumor BS about 6,500 units.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mark F

It could also well be true oh ignorant one.
Do you really find it necessary to make personal attacks to make your point? You don't know me, and you don't know what I do or don't know. I know you're not a 12yo so what's the deal?

That IS a standard tactic from dealerships, as you should know being a dealer. I've found that dealers don't like to admit to the tactics they use. Creating a false sense of urgency for a car is extremely common.

There are plenty of EVO's to go around no matter where you are. If a dealer is only getting one EVO for the year, I would think twice about buying from that dealership anyhow since the allocation is based (at least partially) on customer service/satisfaction.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:52 PM
choad

The largest dealer in Chicago is getting 12-13 TOTAL for the year.

You will see a handful of cars per allocation...
Do the math.

Who the hell really thinks that these cars are being churned out??!! The Carbon Fiber spoiler is hand-assembled for crying out loud!!!

Fact is they are NOT. Production IS limited. Buy the fricken EVO and lose the chip on your shoulder towards the dealer.

I really think that those that are still ranting about availabilty and "being rewarded" by waiting are strokes! They aren't EVER buying an EVO.

When are ya gonna wait till, next year?? Okay. Go for it. Anything softens up in regards to demand after a year. But if makes 5,000 of these per year, what will be different about the supply and demand next year??

If your real, and want the EVO, you will have bought it already, and be talking on the boards as an OWNER. 30K aint all that much cash for this much performance. Cripes, you can smoke PORSCHES for crying out loud, not to mention E46 and E36 M3's..!

OR: You have an order on one and you are patiently waiting. Which is good! The wait will be worth it. God bless you and hang tight. You only go around once in this life, and you owe it to yourself to buy something that you lust after!!!

Sorry about the , but I'm tired of the strokes talking about the pros and cons of the EVO without having driven in one, let alone SAT in one. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just an observation.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

OK, feels kinda like it's in response to my post tho...

[personal response]
Actually I AM waiting for mine to arrive. I got it at MSRP. I have sat in one thank you very much.
[/personal response]

Right, the EVO's aren't overflowing lots like a Ford Tempo. They are limited in availability. There also just aren't THAT many people that even know what a Lancer is. Of those people there aren't THAT many people that can actually afford one. Of those people, there aren't THAT many people who will actually buy one. If you're serious about wanting one, you'll get one.

Have a or and chill.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:44 PM
choad

Cool Scoobyboost..
Enjoy the EVO when it arrives.
Should be worth the wait..