Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

About Intercooler spray?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About Intercooler spray?

has anyone tried filling this up. does anyone know hwo much is to full. I was pooring some water and i noticed thier is a tube that empties out to the ground over a certain amount. i am guessing so you don't overfill it.. can someone else clairfy this?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: About Intercooler spray?

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
has anyone tried filling this up. does anyone know hwo much is to full. I was pooring some water and i noticed thier is a tube that empties out to the ground over a certain amount. i am guessing so you don't overfill it.. can someone else clairfy this?
Yep, correct. When our tech was PDI'ing the car, he filled it to the brim and then we all watched in amazement as it all drained out onto the floor.

You can't fill the neck of the Intercooler bottle, as far up as the drain hose is.

Why, I have no idea.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
its probably because if you overfilled it, it could splash water all over the place.. The tube lets it drain somewhere outside the car... In theory if your going around a turn at speed, the water would splash up the side, so the higher it is, the more likely it would reach the top and spill out or leak from the cap..
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

I don't mind it it makes it easier to fill it.. plus i was hoping it wasn't me and they forgot to plug in my intercooler spray. ^_^
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Is the fluid windshield washer fluid or is it water. I have yet to use mine becuase it only has 250 miles on it. Will you feel a difference using this button.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:05 PM
EvoM Guru

It makes sense that its washer fluid.. doesnt freeze easily in colder weather.. I guess you could use water too, but then I can see it freezing during the winter and possibly damaging something, however during the winter, it seems pointless to have the spray enabled anyway..
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:29 PM

The washer fluid evaps. at a cooler temp than plain water.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm.. ok.. question... big debation within myself and figuring out.. What are people using to fill up thier incooler spray with.. Water. . or washer fluid??..
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to know as well..Especially with these freezing winters, what should I do now and in the summer..?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:36 AM

Washer fluid
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:19 AM

what type of washer fluid is what i would like to know because there are exspensive and there are cheap, or does it really matter just curious
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:23 AM

I guess you could ask the tech at the dealer what he's putting in it.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go for the cheaper kind of washer fluid. The more expensive are usually designed for bug and tar removal. You could look for some alcohol based washer fluids since alcohol evaps at a MUCH quicker rate than water.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Careful with alcohol though.. It could oxidize aluminum, and dry out the rubber lines, and other potential problems.. Not to mention the possibility with fire using anything thats flamable.. Isn't the turbo and exhaust manifold in the FRONT of the engine.. My neon has the exhaust to the rear.. Most washer fluids FREEZE at a lower temp.. Evaporation depends on the ratio of water to it.. Some are glycol based (sorta like antifreeze) and some are alcohol.. See what the manual recommends.. you'd be really unhappy if you damaged or gummed up the works with the wrong stuff..
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:36 AM

The solvent should be a WATER basied windsheild solvent, not Alcohol based--- just because of the flamability issue. And only those of you in the freezing northern climates should even worry about this.... don't use it unless you have too. The windshield washer solution is still mildly caustic enough to damage the painted finish on your front facia and the mesh grille if allowed to dry and sit on the finish long enough. I remember permanently stained hoods from drippy spray nozels.