Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Test drive?

--I hear a lot of rumors about ppl not being able to take test drives. Is this true? Has anyone been able to get a test drive in the EVO?

-Tiak
east cost = waiting
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

My dealer told me that after I signed the contract but before F&I I could test drive it. But I think at that point you'realready committed to buy, so I don't think it's a test drive so much as a preview drive.

So I didn't get to test drive one the other night, but I wasn't interested in that so much as seeing how flexible the dealer was on their $8,495 markup.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Why on earth would you expect to be able to test drive this car?

The situation described above will probably be typical. Due to the very high joyride factor of the Evo test drives will in most circumstances only be allowed for committed buyers.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Mark F
Why on earth would you expect to be able to test drive this car?

The situation described above will probably be typical. Due to the very high joyride factor of the Evo test drives will in most circumstances only be allowed for committed buyers.
That's a bit of a beligerent response, don't you think? Sheesh... I mean I can go to the local BMW dealer and test drive an M5, so why should the evo8 be special? The M5 is $80k if I remember correctly, with 400hp.

If I can't test drive it, how do I know that I like the way it handles or the ride comfort (or lack thereof)? Maybe mitsubishi just doesn't have any experience selling higher priced/powered vehicles and think that this car should be treated differently...

-Tiak
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I guess especially at this point of time, with almost every EVO that priced around MSRP are gone...most dealerships would likely to have no EVO left for test drive....in addition, the reason like Mark F said....
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:33 PM

You'll never get a test drive if you show up to the dealership on your bicycle. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but when I was younger and had less money I couldn't test drive a civic without begging for an hour and having the salesman tag along. Now they just take a copy of my licence and toss me the keys, no matter what it is (although the most expensive cars I've tested are the S4 and SC430). I'm sure that they are giving test drives, but only to people in their late twenties +. Too bad we don't have the Evo yet in Canada, or I could put this to the test.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:34 PM

--I can understand if there are 0 (or possibly only 1) cars on the lot . However 'joyride factor' is just an idiotic excuse. You could make the same case about any number of cars in the same class, including the honda s2000 and nissan 350z but I don't see dealerships refusing test drives. The dealership has insurance in the event of any accidents... again, its the same risks that dealerships have always dealt with. What's different?

-Tiak
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:38 PM

I think will start to give test drives in the future. However, I know that I do not want anybody driving a car that I have had a deposit on for almost a year.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:38 PM

--Incidentally, the reason I bring this up is that I would like to test drive the car before I buy it. It's a significantly different beast than my Audi, and I don't know whether I'm going to like it or not.

-Tiak
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Try finding someone that owns one, we can help you out. Or come out to NM, and I will take you on a ride to ****e your pants!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Tiak

That's a bit of a beligerent response, don't you think? Sheesh... I mean I can go to the local BMW dealer and test drive an M5, so why should the evo8 be special? The M5 is $80k if I remember correctly, with 400hp.

If I can't test drive it, how do I know that I like the way it handles or the ride comfort (or lack thereof)? Maybe mitsubishi just doesn't have any experience selling higher priced/powered vehicles and think that this car should be treated differently...

-Tiak
Actually it's not beligerent at all. This car is a limited production car and is in ultra-high demand. If you've read these forums at all, you can see how paranoid everyone is about having miles on it. It's not a car nearly as easy to drive as an M5, so putting any kind of "test drive" miles on it is dangerous and I know I wouldn't want it.

I've taken the first customer I had on a test drive who bought the car (bought it beforehand). And for someone not used to it, it was kinda scary.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Fireball

This car is a limited production car and is in ultra-high demand.
Really? I was reading everywhere that it wasnt limited, and will make as many as they can sell.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:58 PM

--Out of curiosity, what makes it more difficult to drive than a variety of other cars (Z06, SVT cobra, 350z, galant vr-4, S4, Integra type-R, neon srt-4, s2000, rx-7, M5, M3, s60-R, 3000GT vr-4)? I understand that some of these are no longer in production but the point is a lot of these cars have/had similar characteristics that would make me question the 'difficult to drive' statement.

-Tiak
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tiak

-Tiak
You are WRONG, you cannot test drive an M5 period. I work for BMW and BMW NA does not allow test drives on M5. All M5 are presold as it is, for the most part. It's basically a "you know what you are buying and if you don't to hell with you, scenario" If you do happen to get a ride in a M5 bet you it's the dealer principal's car otherwise enough of the horsesh*t
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by M3rcer

You are WRONG, you cannot test drive an M5 period. I work for BMW and BMW NA does not allow test drives on M5. All M5 are presold as it is, for the most part. It's basically a "you know what you are buying and if you don't to hell with you, scenario" If you do happen to get a ride in a M5 bet you it's the dealer principal's car otherwise enough of the horsesh*t
--Heh... that's not what they told me at the dealership... Anyway the point of the post was not to argue about whether or not you can test drive an M5. The point was why can't you test drive the much cheaper Lancer Evolution.

-Tiak

Last edited by Tiak; Mar 11, 2003 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Test drive?