Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the Evo the best?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Evo the best?

Other than the Evo and the Sti, what are some more cars that are coming out in the near future that will compete with these 2 cars and that are at or below their price range?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

i think ford or peugeot gonna come out with the replica of thier rally cars to compete in the market with the sti n evo. cant remember,juz heard rumours.plz correct me.

for the moment i dun think there's ani car out there with the same amt of performance available stock with this price tag range....
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

The Nissan GT-R is prob coming out in 2004...that will be a serious compeition, but at a higher price range though
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
skylines, supras, nsxs, rx-7s
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Oh HEEELL no do the NSX, Supra or GT-R fall into "at or below" the price range of the Evo/STi. The NSX in my opinion while an awesome machine, is probably the most overpriced "super"car on the market. The only thing I see being marginally close is the RX-8 which fights back with less power but extreme weight savings.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on what you're talking about. Best in what? I think the biggest draw for the Evo is the fact that it does a good job of combining power with handling.

Sure you can get a car that runs a faster 1/4 mile, but chances are it'll have a tough time hanging with an Evo on a track with say... Turns.

And as was mentioned before, the price tag makes it extra appealing. The other car that comes to mind as far as bang for the buck would be the SRT-4.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Toyota has to get back in the game with a revived Supra. I doubt NSX's will be around much longer, as it is fading very quickly. Nissan/Infiniti Skyline GT-R is a definite lookout when it comes here in the U.S. RX-8 is another competition to look out for. As years come by there will be more competition for the Japanese Sports Car Segment.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Well I've seen it in a few mags and on a few websites. It was actually the car I was considering before I found out the Evo 8 was definitely coming. They are supposed to be bringing the Lotus Elise here to the states. It may actually be rumor but from all of the sources I saw stating it's coming here I don't think so. That is one bad a$$ little car. It's also a $30kish car depending on how much they mark them up. Overseas they are almost the same price. The car looks sweet, handles awesome as do all Lotus' and it will compete in a straight line. The biggest thing I found about the car was that it gets 50-60MPG! That's right. It uses gas like a motorcycle. For a car that does 0-60 in 5.0 that's amazing. It also weighs about 1400 lbs or something rediculous like that. If I didn't get an Evo and I knew that was coming soon that's what I'd get.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:08 AM

I think you should also look at the Nissan 350Z if you're looking for the same kind of "bang for the buck", as you put it. I looked at one the other day and it's about $4000 more, give or take a few dollars. Don't get me wrong........I still want my Evo, but that car was just awesome to drive.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evilution
[B]The biggest thing I found about the car was that it gets 50-60MPG! That's right. It uses gas like a motorcycle. For a car that does 0-60 in 5.0 that's amazing. It also weighs about 1400 lbs or something rediculous like that.[B]
The greatest thing about this car is basically its weight. However, at the same time, its strength is also its weakness. Imagine getting into a crash with that thing. Especially with all them SUVs (with drivers who talk on cellphones, read, put on make-up, etc.) you'd be lucky if you can salvage the car, or worse, your life.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:58 AM

You guys should check out April's Sport Compact Car. Two Evos, both 7s, two WRXs(one crashes into a water truck.... ) and a 350z....guess who wins overall....
Old Mar 6, 2003, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by japandk
You guys should check out April's Sport Compact Car. Two Evos, both 7s, two WRXs(one crashes into a water truck.... ) and a 350z....guess who wins overall....
Where's the 350Z? and where did SCC claims EVO is the "clear" winner?

However, for a relatively stock EVO VII, those numbers are very impressive. Too bad the Cobb WRX wrecked...could have been a very interesting match-up
Old Mar 6, 2003, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BurnOutz

The greatest thing about this car is basically its weight. However, at the same time, its strength is also its weakness. Imagine getting into a crash with that thing. Especially with all them SUVs (with drivers who talk on cellphones, read, put on make-up, etc.) you'd be lucky if you can salvage the car, or worse, your life.
Hehe true. But then again I stopped thinking about that when I started racing all together. I used to have a 68 Corvette which was dubbed a coffin on wheels. All fiberglass body with very little cockpit space. But man was it fun to drive.

Speaking of cel phones good gawd I wanna strangle some people. I've almost been hit a dozen times by idiots on their phones who are oblivious to their surroundings. Most were ladies in SUV's. Go figure. I mean if you're going to change lanes at least LOOK FIRST you bloody tards!

As for the 350Z it's a very nice car. Had a deposit on one before I found out the Evo 8 was a reality. Immediately took it back and slapped it down on my soon to come Evo. My friend bought one though and let me drive it. Very nice car and fun to drive. Terrible blind spots but nothing worse than my Prowler or Vette or Supra for that matter. Doesn't feel like it has a lot of pickup. A lot of Z owners compain about this. Answer is because of it's linear power band. All in all I would be driving one if the Evo didn't rear it's pretty lil head. If you ever drive next to one watch it for a sec. That thing bounces like mad. Literally looks like it's going over a hundred tiny speed bumps when it's moving.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Lan Evo

Where's the 350Z? and where did SCC claims EVO is the "clear" winner?

However, for a relatively stock EVO VII, those numbers are very impressive. Too bad the Cobb WRX wrecked...could have been a very interesting match-up
Sorry bout that. To clarrify, it's actually a modded Audi TT. At the end of the article, I thought that the Evo is a clear winner for me due to it's ability overall, and it's practicality. Sorry bout the mix up. Gotta lay off the
Old Mar 6, 2003, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evilution
... They are supposed to be bringing the Lotus Elise here to the states. It may actually be rumor but from all of the sources I saw stating it's coming here I don't think so. That is one bad a$$ little car...
It's coming... And it looks sweet.

Quick Reply: Is the Evo the best?