Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The truth about importation - EI and Evo VII's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it says "street legal lancers in the USA"...... ahaha.. so I guess you are right... street legal in germany, but in the usa.

I would be pretty pissed off if I were dumb enough to send EI $ and then have them ship me a totally illegal car!!!!

Originally posted by DPagan
jrock, they don't say "which" street they're legal on...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:45 PM

I just spent some time checking the Federal Register. There's quite a few petitions and decisions for motorcycles, some foreign SUVs, and other cars, but nothing about a Lancer of any type.

My only guess at this point is Sean is still working on those clarifications or some other gov't red tape.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

hey tyndago\sean, so kit car registration is now illegal?

oh and another thing when you worked there was motorex flexable of the ungodly high price they ask for a skyline?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

This is freaking stupid. Everyone is acting like these things are drugs or something. I can drive a a complete POS with emmisions coming out like a chimney but I can't drive a perfectly maintained sportscar that the American market wouldn't know what to do with if they had it....? That's on crack.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see, this is one of the stuff i dont like about america's government, they have so much ****ing rules that their own people hate them..........btw i'm a foreigner, well what we can do is just wait for someone to clear this stuff up to us
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question for Sean, the importer working with EI. If you dropped off the petition on february 4th, and they recently called you with issues and questions, and it's not even published that you have petitioned yet, have the half dozen or so members on this forum who have their EVOVII's been driving them illegaly? Aren't they still, and won't they be for at least a month or 2?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:01 AM

Man, this sucks. I was on the phone with the EI guy today, and it sounded too good to be true.... and unfortunately it is. I was definitely about to buy one. It does explain a curious incident I had on the expressway the other day though. I was flying down the expressway because I was late for class, and I drove by a black lancer-type car with no badges or spoiler on the back. I didn't think anything of it until I saw the slits on the side of the front bumper and I did a double take. I looked in my rearview mirror, and sure enough, Evo VII front bumper with the huge intercooler peeking out at me. I thought it was weird that he had his big spoiler removed and evolution badging shaved... now I know why.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thwack
I have a question for Sean, the importer working with EI. If you dropped off the petition on february 4th, and they recently called you with issues and questions, and it's not even published that you have petitioned yet, have the half dozen or so members on this forum who have their EVOVII's been driving them illegaly? Aren't they still, and won't they be for at least a month or 2?
Thwack,

No one has there EVO7 anymore. They are all back at G&K again. Yea, we had them for about a month. If I was you or anyone else, I would not buy any cars from EI until this gets resolved and those people who have already purchased their cars, gets them. That way, you know for sure that it is legit.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:44 AM

it really sounds to me like there just giving the run around because ther hasnt really been a straight answer i would still though like to see this resovled and get some great cars over here
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

WOULD EVERYONE STOP REPEATING EACH OTHER
if i hear one more ..
"ohhhhhh that means the evo7 cars are illegal . that must suck for the owners.... just wait till they give a final word"
SHUT the F up already.. you'd think when you read what the guy said 2 line above said the same thing AS 5 OTHERS BEFORE HIM you'd save yourself the time and effort but noooooo you all have to keep repeating yourselves...
here it is ..
THE EVO 7 IS NOT LEGAL IT WILL NOT BE FOR A WHILE, SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT TILL EI SAYS SOMETHING. IT IS MORE THAN OBVIOUS THAT ONCE IT'S REALLY LEGAL THEY WILL TELL EVERYONE AND THERE MOTHER ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS
WITH THAT SAID SAVE YOUR DAMN ENERGY AND STOP IDIOTS LIKE ME FROM VENTING ALLREADY AND DON'T POST!

Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Geez dude, relax. I understand what you are saying about the repeating, but this is a really hot topic. Some claim they are legal and others claim they aren't. So people who are looking at getting EI Evos feel really strongly about this issue. Wouldn't you if you were throwing $35K down, sight unseen? Just take a breather and relax.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:33 AM

I don't know why someone would pay that much for a imported EVO VII with the arrival of the STi USDM in June and the possible arrival of the GSR early next year. Most of these guys must be kicking themselves in the pants.

With the arrival of better performing cars in the US, the days of importers like E.I. are numbered.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:02 AM

I do not know what box was checked on the HS-7 when the Evo's that are currently in the country were imported .

Anything prior to January 11,2003 - I had nothing to do with.

I do not work for EI . I am being contracted by G & K for this project. I am working for G & K .

I actually offered EI my services after I left MotoRex. I was interested in the Evolutions - even when I was at MotoRex. I started looking into legalizing them. I wanted to do something else on the side that wouldnt take up too much of my time. MotoRex was actually contacted by RalliArt , UK - which became Extreme Autos. The possible costs of crash testing - made it not possible for them to carry the project any further.

The current Evo VII's in the US are not road legal. They will be though.

I am working on the project. It will take time. And most of it is just waiting around until the DOT asks us questions.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:15 AM

I talked to the EI guy today, and he said it would be 30 - 45 days until they got the approval (he seems very confident that it will be approved). My question is this, is his confidence well placed? Is he right to think that it WILL be legalized after that time period? Also, what is G & K? Thanks for your help Sean...
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tyndago

The current Evo VII's in the US are not road legal.
I guess that says it all.

Quick Reply: The truth about importation - EI and Evo VII's