Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spark plugs fouling out twice a week???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decrease your gap to .26, right now
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a VTA BOV?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no i have jdm MR. how do i decrease the gap again?? is .30 bad?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
It's too much. You can't get a strong enough spark.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor

again what do your plugs look like...
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

was gonna say the same thing about the gap do that should help a LOT cause at wot ur probly blowing out the spark
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor

mine are gapped at .32 i havent a single prob..
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
How are you a vendor on this site?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
How are you a vendor on this site?
????? what are you talking about??? this may sound crazy so just try to bare with me for a second. I sell parts and thats my day job as a vendor. I know alot about clutches/flywheels/turbo sizing/head studs, what makes power what doesnt. but i'm also still a 20 year old person and still learning about cars. No one ever taught me about cars. I learned everything I know in the past 4 years myself by reading online etc... when I had a turbo talon the preset gap the ngk plugs came with was fine so i would check it and they were always perfect so I never had to change the gap. I dont know every single thing in the world about cars and parts. I GUESS SINCE I'M A VENDOR I CANT ASK QUESTIONS??? well i'd love to make a personal name and post with that but your not allowed to have 2 names on this forum.

basically i'm a straight up no BS guy. If a customer was to call me and ask me how to gap plugs i'd say i'm not really sure and i'd find out for him. I dont Bs people and act like I know every single thing. I know alot of stuff but there are some simple things I havent done yet. I've never had to gap a spark plug before. I've swapped motors, heads, turbos, cams, etc... I can do a clutch, timing belt, suspension whatever. I've just never gapped a plug. i'm sure with a gapper and about 30 secs I could figure it out but i didnt have one in my hand when i made that post. sorry if I offended you. I guess you wouldnt ever want to buy from a vendor that wasnt sure how to gap a plug, cuz of course parts coming from me are tainted now.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Since you still have failed to answer defarmers69 question, I will ask it again. WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR PLUGS?????? You could be running to lean and that popping sounds your are hearing could be detonation. So the color of your plugs is a very important question right now.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

mine are set at .28, recommendations of Vishnu, runs fine. Bro i think you just need a tune!get the biatch flashed or somethin
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Since you still have failed to answer defarmers69 question, I will ask it again. WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR PLUGS?????? You could be running to lean and that popping sounds your are hearing could be detonation. So the color of your plugs is a very important question right now.
they're not white, i woulda noticed, and the reason i havent answered cuz i havent seen the plugs since that night. i changed them at a friends shop in a rush and left them there
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:43 AM

damn steve...u shoulda asked me how to gap a plug...i kno you kno ur **** but now u just look like an a**hole...lol...u do have a reflash and it has gotten warmer out...i hope your not detonating! otherwise being over gapped .7 shouldnt make a difference unless your running really rich (which your not)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to jump in to the thread but I have a question about something along the lines. My intercooler pipe fell off last week and the car was dumping fuel for about a min or 2 while i figured what the problem was. Would that of messed my plugs up, because now my car feels like it doesnt like to pull hard up top, id check them but i dont have a torque wrench to put them back in. thanks

Last edited by bigjhoney; Mar 18, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Step 1: GO to autoparts store and get spark plug gap tool (small wheel 1/2 dollar size). About $0.50

Step 2: Measure the gap on your new plugs. Slide the gap tool between the spark plug tip and electrode. Spin the wheel until friction stops its progress.

Step 3: Use the gap tool and press down on the top of the spark plug to decrease the gap between the plug tip and electrode. Remeasure. Goal is to get a gap of 0.26.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs fouling out twice a week???