Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACD + Snow Drifting = Fun (my review)

Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought pulling the ebrake on an evo w/o ACD was bad for the drivetrain? I can normally kick the rear end out by just punching the gas a little bit... but this is hard to do on narrow roads (unless you don't mind wrecking)
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Punch the gas during a turn to get the rear end loose, and dont forget to keep trottling the car when your in the drift to avoid doing a 360. Also please dont do this on the street
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justchil
I thought pulling the ebrake on an evo w/o ACD was bad for the drivetrain? I can normally kick the rear end out by just punching the gas a little bit... but this is hard to do on narrow roads (unless you don't mind wrecking)
It can be.. you don't want to put too much load on the center diff, its timing more than anything..
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I was under the impression the torque split was 50/50 only? The acd settings only change when and how the acd opens?

Originally Posted by twan
Last night I picked up Mikeyrocks and we scouted some unplowed lots for fun. Most fun I have had with the car yet. The car is running Dunlop Sport M3 dedicated winter tires.

In Tarmac mode the car was easier to get loose but when it did get loose it was very uncontrollable. All the car did stay straight and slide sideways.........not fun.

In Snow mode with the 70/30 split I was able to get the rear loose faster and control my drifts/slides in and out of various entrances of the parking lot. High throttle application got the rear light very fast (cause only 30% was goin to it) then as I eased off the throttle a bit that 70% front started to bite and allowed me improved control of the drift/ slide. Impressive ****.

Was crazy fun...........also pinning the wheel all the way and spinning like a top in one place produces some great whip-lash action. I suggest you folks with ACD find some place with little to no traction (unplowed snow filled lot) and test out the ACD. I never felt that much of a change on the street switching modes but I never really pushed the car that hard in non-straight road situations. When you do find a place to test the ACD you will see the wonder of how it can really impact your driving and style in low grip situations. End of story I just fell in love with my ACD

Disclaimer: This was an empty lot in a remote area.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by omniphil
I was under the impression the torque split was 50/50 only? The acd settings only change when and how the acd opens?
That's my understanding too. Assuming our US EVO VIII ACD is the same as JDM EVO VII and VIII: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo8.pdflink
Evolution VII employs a new Active Center Differential 'ACD) that improves traction performance and steering response through corners. Replacing the viscous coupling-type with an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch differential, the ACD effectively regulates slippage in the 50:50 torque split center differential from free to lock-up to match driving conditions. Control is further optimized with a 3-way selector that enables the driver to override the automatic system and choose between Tarmac, Gravel or Snow modes for different surface conditions. (Standard on GSR, factory-fitted option on RS).
According to this ACD does not vary the torque split, it toggles it from open 100front:0rear to closed 50:50.

See the attached pic:
The US EVO VIII only has ACD, not AYC. There are additional explanations in the document where I got the diagram: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo8.pdflink
Attached Thumbnails ACD + Snow Drifting = Fun (my review)-mitsu-acd.jpg  
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lacartus
That's my understanding too. Assuming our US EVO VIII ACD is the same as JDM EVO VII and VIII: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo8.pdflink

According to this ACD does not vary the torque split, it toggles it from open 100front:0rear to closed 50:50.

See the attached pic:
The US EVO VIII only has ACD, not AYC. There are additional explanations in the document where I got the diagram: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo8.pdflink
It is all in the acd clutch pack slippage.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Normally I'm a very laid back driver, but I had a 2 hour commute getting home last night because everyone was going 5mph.. You cannot imagine driving a 20 mile trip at 5mph almost the whole way.. Once I got onto the side roads, with my all season tires, I FINALLY had an appreciation for the AMAZING handling that these cars have in the snow. Keep in mind driving too fast means you'll have trouble steering, but I tried very hard to get the car "out of shape" and it took quite a bit..

Ya know what else? All that driving in games like SRS, and NFSUG which have good "Traction physics" actually came in handy since you frequently practice drifts and power oversteer.. Keeping the car going where I wanted ended up feeling really instinctive..

I Honestly have to say that although I hate the winter, driving the Evo in this with tires intended for this weather made for an unbelievably enjoyable drive on the side roads (and a large empty parking lot near my house where I got chased away by a cop, funny part is he got stuck when I was leaving I saw him stuck in the area where he pulled up next to me to ask me to leave)
You need to try the new king of rally games. Richard Burns Rally
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

i was going to start this post too, i also was i an "empty" lot last night had some fun with the evo. very easy to get you going like a spinning quarter. it was kind of funny there was 6 other cars in there doing the same thing and tapping themselves and i was driving by and some kid came and asked if i could come in so he can video tape the evo spinning.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by erikgj
It is all in the acd clutch pack slippage.
Ah right, its not so much toggling, but slipping between 100% and 50% of torque going to the front diff, but the front diff never see less than 50%. The original post said 70:30 (front:rear), which is within this range of slip.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

when you say throttle lift oversteer all you do is lift off the throttle? cuz I've been looking for an easier way to get the back end out at autoXs
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omniphil
that is very true, many people misunderstand the ACD. the article posted explains it well.

however, i do agree. snow mode with snow tires in the snow is a blast too bad i have to drive 2+ hours to get to snow. :P
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

No acd for me, but waiting for my quaife lsd.

Went to play in the snow again today, need a car wash when the snow clears
Attached Thumbnails ACD + Snow Drifting = Fun (my review)-20-01-05_1722.jpg  
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:02 PM

ACD opens when you use the e-brake, which should prevent ACD damage. E-brake gives you an FWD drift or a tighter turning radius (spin) depending on wheel position without snow.
If there's more snow in NY this weekend, I will report back on the handling characteristics in snow when trying to lost traction

P.S. For all you still running advans or other summer tires where you have cold conditions, we had another person up here with summer tires damage their evo. They just don't grip in the cold.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

i wish i could pull the e-brake in my 03 model
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
well I know all of you North East Residents are hoping for the snow we might get. I just hope we get alot of snow cause I really just want to drive around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACD + Snow Drifting = Fun (my review)