Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hard to sell built Evo???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to sell built Evo???

hi,
ive had some issues with my built motor and now im trying to decide if i should rebuild it or part out with it and get a stock longblock. Ive decided to move on from the evo and was wondering if its easier to sell a stock block with bolt ons car or a fully built car? appreciate the help.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Def easier to sell with a stock motor and bolt ons. I tried selling my fully built car and it was such a HUGE pain between all the low ball offers I was getting, it was more than a headache than anything.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I think the biggest problem with built evos is the buyer market is slim. Most people finance evos especially of its a 9/X or so. So that meant they would have to have a decent amount of cash to put in top to afford a built one. That and the fact you never know who's headache you are getting.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by psphinx81
Def easier to sell with a stock motor and bolt ons. I tried selling my fully built car and it was such a HUGE pain between all the low ball offers I was getting, it was more than a headache than anything.
Good to hear from someone with experience. Ive seen the threads on your car and it's definitely a beast! Right now, my motor is out. I definitely want to sell the car but need to make the decision if i should rebuild or buy a stock long block and sell. Ive seen a lot of built cars for sale but only a couple have sold, so it made me worry that it will be hard to sell if i rebuild.

Originally Posted by kanovic
I think the biggest problem with built evos is the buyer market is slim. Most people finance evos especially of its a 9/X or so. So that meant they would have to have a decent amount of cash to put in top to afford a built one. That and the fact you never know who's headache you are getting.
Definitely good points and why i wanted to explore people's opinion on here. it is easier to rebuild the car and sell with everything without dealing with the headache of parting out and selling each part, but as you said, its harder for people to get a loan and cash on top, which drastically lowers the amount of people that could buy it. every aspect of my car is nicely modded, but i guess it might still be better to try selling without built motor, turbo kit etc and just do stock longblock, turbo, etc but keep my modded suspension, wheels etc.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problem is, is most guys that try and sell built evos, want everything they put into it, paid back to them lol.

1st lesson in cars, they are not an investment lol.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:51 PM

lol yeah i dont expect everything back, but would want a decent value. so my next question is, what is better, selling built evo or one with stock motor that is not the original?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Problem is, is most guys that try and sell built evos, want everything they put into it, paid back to them lol.

{thum bup}
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:03 PM

In my mind, I would rather buy a built car than one that was built and put back to stock. If it was put back to stock you get all the extra wear and tear from being heavily modified w/ none of the fun.

However, even though a put back to stock car is worth less than an actual stock car, it may be worth it if you can sell some of the high dollar parts separately.

Depends on how much time/work you wanna put into it, and how well done/documented your mods are.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
so.true
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UGTSMKD
lol yeah i dont expect everything back, but would want a decent value. so my next question is, what is better, selling built evo or one with stock motor that is not the original?
Yea, I understand that.

If your built shortblock is giving you issues, you might be better off putting it back to stock.

My personal opinion, I become very picky when it comes to buying a built evo vs stock.

A built evo that was returned to stock, in my opinion, most of the time is rushed as its returned to stock. Bolts might be missing, hoses not routed like oem etc. In that case I would rather buy a built evo. Then again, I judge the character of the seller a bit if I were to look at a built evo. I will usually make an assumption, whether the car was taken care of or just beat to hell, judging by the sellers character. A little cheezy maybe, but its what I do haha.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:09 PM

built cars that have receipts and proof of everything in it aren't too bad to sell, especially if the work is done by a reputable place.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:21 PM

Here is what I did and many others with good credit can do..... I bought a car without the engine for a decent price, got a loan for a little more and will have a running car for quite a bit less than loan value.

For example: Say your car blue books for $27k, you decide to part it out and sell the shell for $5k. That allows someone with good credit to get a loan for $15-20k and buy your car and put their own built motor, etc in it. Allowing them to have a built car for potentially $12k less than blue book. Does that make sense?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slow93turbo
Here is what I did and many others with good credit can do..... I bought a car without the engine for a decent price, got a loan for a little more and will have a running car for quite a bit less than loan value.

For example: Say your car blue books for $27k, you decide to part it out and sell the shell for $5k. That allows someone with good credit to get a loan for $15-20k and buy your car and put their own built motor, etc in it. Allowing them to have a built car for potentially $12k less than blue book. Does that make sense?
I tried that but my credit union wont sign off on a check or whatever till they inspect the car. So for me it wouldnt work because they look at the mileage make sure i is in decent condition. Obvious without an engine they wouldnt give the value of the car.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 07:48 PM

I guess I'm lucky to live in a small town. At my bank I fill out an loan app asking for "X" amount and they dont ask any questions except car year, make, miles, etc for KBB.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Same with my credit union. All they want is the vin, year, make model and mileage. Other than that, as long as the amount I am asking for is reasonable to what the car books for, they give me a loan.

Quick Reply: Hard to sell built Evo???