Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stereo question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2002, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo question

how come I see some Evo7s with 2 din slots and some with 1? is this the difference between the RSII, GSR etc? also, to those that have Evo7s - how are the front doors for speaker install? is there enough space for nice components?
Old Oct 9, 2002, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I thought they were all 1 din unless you got the kit to relocate the HVAC controls to below. Also I belive thier 6and 3/4 inch in front doors and rear deck as well.

my 2 cents
Old Oct 15, 2002, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

The stock is 1 din for all EVO7 exported out of Japan. I think only Japanese EVO7 GSR models have the 2-din version or it must probably be the Lancer Cedia.

For the front door, I installed a FOCAL Polykevlar component with 5-3/8 mid bass. I just don't know if the 6-1/2 will fit. The only thing to check is that the magnet of the speaker might hit the glass when the windows are put down, but for the front, 6-1/2 is ok.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:52 PM

I apologize if this has been mentioned before as I have failed to get a specific search result. Anyone know if US Evo 8 owners can order the HVAC controls for the bottom empty slot so to free up space for a 2 din unit or for better placement of the guages as shown in pic below? I think the guages would be easier to read when placed in such a setup above the headunit. The US spec AC controls are somewhat getting in the way for such a setup and I wish to stay away from the A-pillar guages.

Jpn spec Evo VII 2-din setup with AC controls in bottom slot

US spec Evo setup with AC controls in the midsection and radio on top.

Pic courtesy of Peloton25

Many thanks if someone could provide some solutions.

Last edited by krms; Mar 10, 2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

krms,

I'm actually looking to do the exact same thing as you. My best guess is that we hope for somebody to make a rearrangement kit, unless there's some way to do it yourself, but I'd rather not unless I really had to. Don't trust myself with the aesthetics
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:48 AM

as far as I have heard they use 6.5 in the rear deck and doors. You shouldnt have much of a problem getting the woofers in the doors as the aftermarket speakers shouldnt be that much deeper than the factory. I already have ripped the boston acoustic pro's out of my jetta in anticipation for the install to the EVO when I get it. btw, also took out about 1900 watts of all JL Audio amps and a couple of 12w7's that will be nestled into a carbon fiber enclosure once I find someone to build it!!! Whats the fun in having this bad of a car without a banging system. Yes I know how much this will slow me down but all the more reason to extract as much horsepower as I can from the EVO. you know to make up for all the extra weight...
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The double din setup can be ordered from Mitsubishi. It is a dealer option. I'm planning on getting it along with a Raliart carbon trin piece !!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The speaker size is 6 3/4 or 6 1/2 DIN sized all around. I used Alpine SPS-1729S they fit well all around. In the front this speakers depth clears but it is close.

The dual DIN seems to be a Japanese dealer installed option. I have only seen it used on climate controlled cars but not the manual A/C of the US cars. I would love to see a kit released for the USDM Evos.

Japanese installation instructions

Translate here