Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

raising redline to 8k on evo6

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
raising redline to 8k on evo6

had a chat with my tuner about my desire to rev out a little more after getting a few mods done on my e6 i want to raise the redline to 8000rpm it currently cuts out at the stock limit 7400-7600ish i dont really prefer to open up or change anything internally my mod list so far
k&n cone filter
speedlab tubular manifold
hks downpipe & exhaust
greddy muffler
forge wastegate
evo9 licp
evo9 intercooler
aluminum radiator
walbro 255 pump
evo9 ac compressor
everything else is stock evo6
im very happy with this setup and just want some input from the forum on raising the redline to 8k with this next tune thanks again
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no benefit to raising the rev limit on a small turbo especially when you stop making power by 6000rpm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
There is no benefit to raising the rev limit on a small turbo especially when you stop making power by 6000rpm
+1... You should really be shifting around 6500 to keep the power at it's highest
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

i want to rev to 8k as a personal preference i dont mind that the turbo stops making more power i just want to be able to rev up there while im driving my favorite roads so can i get there on my setup with the right tune?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the question people are asking is why? If you arent making power there and YOU know that then why bother with beating the motor more? If its so you can say the car revs to 8k then so be it. Butbifnyou arent using a turbo capablenof power up there 6262,35r and bigger then you are jusy waisting your time and a perfectly good 4g63.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

In other words, why reduce the life of a motor when you aren't making power there. Upgrade the turbo, cams, springs & retainers, then rev it to 8k. (Feel sorry for your motor, if you don't do it right)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rage mang
i want to rev to 8k as a personal preference i dont mind that the turbo stops making more power i just want to be able to rev up there while im driving my favorite roads so can i get there on my setup with the right tune?
Well, if that's what you want, then sure, it's safe to rev to 8k. It is advised to upgrade your springs and retainers (cams?), though you don't have to, it's just a safety aspect.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input so far to add to the op since springs and cams r a safety measure at that rpm would dropping in just newer uprated springs be enough of a safety? i prefer to keep internal mods as simple as possible on this motor.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

There are times when it might be ok to want to rev a few hunred rpm or so above the point you will make any more power. On the track sometimes you need that few extra rpm so your not having to upshift, then downshift right before the turn, a few seconds later. Ive actually encountered this before. Overall it can be a bit faster not spending time shifting so much. Obvoiusly the best solution is to be efficient at the higher rpm or change gearing, etc. BUT, a temporary fix is to rev it up a bit higher if it is safe to do so.

In your case, to rev up higher just you can hear the engine wind up louder on a public road where its likely illegal anyhow, doesn't make sense. Your gonna be breaking the speed law and more likely chance you will break the engine. In the end, you can rev it up as high as you want, hell why not rev to 8400 or 9000, I mean 9000 sounds cool to tell your buddies, doesn't it.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 PM

The factory rev limiter is there for a reason. If you don't want to do any internal mods then the answer is no, you can't get there on your setup.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wkarl
The factory rev limiter is there for a reason. If you don't want to do any internal mods then the answer is no, you can't get there on your setup.
Yes, he can get there on his setup. 8000 RPM is perfectly safe on a stock block. English racing has done it before and I'm sure other shops have as well. STM has gone 9k+ RPM on a stock block just so you know. No internal mods needed.

If the springs and cams have been upgraded then he is perfectly fine to go 8k+ if he wanted to, though it is not advised to do so, it is still possible.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

thanks faisalm i just had another chat with my tuner and he doesnt see a need to change the springs or cams just move the fuel cut off to the right a bit and the current stockish map will be retained
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

thanks faisalm i just had another chat with my tuner and he doesnt see a need to change the springs or cams just move the fuel cut off to the right a bit and the current stockish map will be retained
Yes, like I said before, it's not obligatory to change the springs or cams to rev higher, it's just recommended to do so.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
Yes, he can get there on his setup. 8000 RPM is perfectly safe on a stock block. English racing has done it before and I'm sure other shops have as well. STM has gone 9k+ RPM on a stock block just so you know. No internal mods needed.

If the springs and cams have been upgraded then he is perfectly fine to go 8k+ if he wanted to, though it is not advised to do so, it is still possible.

I just don't understand this at all. Why did you equate my comment to be directed at the bottom end of the motor only? Do you not consider springs and cams an "internal mod"? I also don't understand the final statement in your response, you start it by saying, "it's perfectly fine," but end it with saying, "it's not advised." That statement is so ambiguous. I already know that many, many people have done 8000+ RPM on the stock block, but the bottom end isn't what we're talking about here.

He said that he hadn't upgraded his springs or cams yet, then he made an off comment about possibly upgrading them to attain this misguided goal of revving out to 8000 RPM on the street with a stock turbo setup. My understanding is what is currently on his car does not include aftermarket springs and cams. So the question was, "Can I get there on my current setup with tuning only?" The answer to that question is no, not if you're not willing to run at least some risk of damaging the motor. Even with upgraded springs and cams this seems like a totally odd and ridiculous goal to have.

Not trying to start an argument, but if you're going to directly disregard my response because I'm not telling the OP exactly what he wants to hear, then at least give a definite solution to the problem at hand, not one that is open to interpretation.

To the OP: My opinion is, as others have stated, that there is no reason to rev your motor ~500 RPM higher than the stock limiter, especially since you're mainly driving on the street. Save yourself some headache and focus your efforts elsewhere on your car for the time being. Once you have good reason to be revving that high, come back to this.

Last edited by wkarl; Apr 20, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

actually i have a pretty good reason to rev that high because i want to plain and simple. its my car and its something i want it to do i already knew that there were gonna be replies that try to tell me that its stupid or it doesnt make power up there or its gonna be bad for the motor and i see those all the time on the forum but somewhere there someone gonna give me some constructive input and i got it thanks faislam. everyone has their own way of building and personalizing their car it may not be to your liking or how you would choose to do it but it doesnt mean that its wrong. i needed a second opinion on it thats why i posted this topic. to answer the other criticisms about this topic on why i want to rev to 8k is i like the feeling of winding the motor up to there and when im doing my mountain runs i like to hear my motor at high revs is that so much to ask from a rally car i dont think so and i didnt ask to rev to 9k or 10k i was being conservative at 8k cus yes i already did my research prior to posting on here hence the second opinion to back up my research and my tuners suggestions and to the guy who said its probably gonna be illegal cus its too loud or whatever if u didnt see in my sig i live in the philippines we have worse problems to deal with than noise pollution and just so i can brag to my friends that i can rev that high come on im a grown man i dont brag about my car i drive it park it stare at it then i go to work cus 100octane gas is expensive here. thanks for the constructive replies.

Quick Reply: raising redline to 8k on evo6