Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Homemade Tcase/Rear End Fluid Filler Tool

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Homemade Tcase/Rear End Fluid Filler Tool

Figured I'd post this up as I think it is the best/easiest way to make sure you have the proper amount of fluid in your tcase and rear end.

Reading and talking to a few shops that are well educated on the subject I was directed to fill my tcase from the drain plug and not the fill plug. In the past I used to use a funnel and long hose and would gravity feed the tcase. Even with a pump to force it in looking back I don't think I have had enough fluid in the system. Which in return has aided in breaking a few drivetrain parts from extreme heat.

This new method of filling the units worked PERFECT!

Here are a few pics:

In the past I used to use Diaqueen in the tcase and rear end and OEM 5 speed Mitsu trans fluid. For cars under 500 whp I think that is the best fluid out there. But for a car like mine I needed something more. I now run Redline MT90 in the transmission and Redline heavy weight shockproof in the tcase and rear end. First impression while driving with this 'new' fluid in the car is looking good. All the rear end noise I had before is gone and my tcase is nice and quiet.

Before pumping fluid into the car I threw a little teflon tape on the thread that were to go into the tcase and rear end. You'll notice that the parts I used to make this unit are NPT fittings and are not metric like the OEM drain plug. The NPT fitting did a good job sealing while pumping fluid in and didn't mess any thread up.

Here is all the parts needed to make this for yourself if you like. All these parts came from Ace Hardware:

- 1/4" ball vale (part # 4336962) / $9.49 EA

- 1/4" x 2" galv steel pipe nipple (part # 4123295) / $1.69 EA

- 3/8" x 1/4" galv hex bushing (part # 41403) / $1.49 EA

- 3/8" x 1/4" hose barb (part # 42780) / $3.49 EA

Total - $16.16 + ($1.05 tax @ 6.5%) = $17.21

The pump I got at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I filled the fluid:

1. Lift car up in the car on 4 jack stands so all 4 tires are off the ground and the car is level.
2. Drain the tcase and rear end. You can leave the drain plugs out but put the fill plug back in and tighten them.
3. I took a 32 oz Powerade bottle and cleaned it out and tore the label off of it. I used this to dump the new fluid into to gauge how much I have used as the Redline products don't have a sight on the side of the bottle to keep track of how much fluid you have used.
4. Take the tool you build and hand tighten it into the drain plug and turn the valve to open.
5. Use the suction gun from harbor freight and pull fluid into it and then attach it to the tool attached to drain plug. The hose that comes with the suction gun slides right onto the brass barb fitting perfectly and there is no need to clamp it on. Once it is attached push the correct amount of fluid into the case. Once done pumping turn the valve to the closed position. You can then remove the hose from the suction gun and put it to the side.
6. With the actual drain plug in one hand grab the tool and unthread it. As soon as it comes loose QUICKLY replace it with the drain plug. I only got a little fluid on my hand and didn't loose much.
7. I put the car on the ground and went for a quick drive around the block. Once back and on a level surface you can remove the FILL plug and let any extra fluid come out on it's own until it is at the proper level just at the fill plug level. Put the fill plug on and your done!

Hope this helps guys! For under $30 it is a great and easy way to get the correct amount of fluid in your tcase or rear end.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deal me in on the shops that fill from the drain hole. That sounds INCREDIBLY stupid and counter productive. I have NEVER head of doing it like this. Really???

Mind you I'm not a tuner or such just a backyard wrench turner and have yet to have any issues because of filling these from the fill holes.

I guess if it works for you knock yourself out. It just seems beyond stupidity to me.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Regardless of the point of insertion-- lol, I think its an incredible idea, but you should have thought about it a few months earlier before I had to go buy a pump ( griots garage) and man, it made short work of a big problem with access-- in my case the rear diff. But cudos for the idea--thinking you could mod this for reg fill ports as well.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen gravity filling like this on transfer cases where the fill hole was a pia to get to. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but I think you are making this harder on yourself. Knowing the capacity of fluids for the drivetrain you should have filled it up to near that amount before you go for a drive. I personally use one of those $5 pumps that screw on top of the gear oil bottle and be done with it.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Its one of those take it or leave it type of things....

You can do what you wish but keep the idiotic comments out

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I may give it a try, who knows, maybe it will make things easier.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
at least you are thinking. I like my far cheaper far more effective method. mine cost about 3 bucks.

Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ hahah nice
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Seems like over-complicating a simple process to me.

- Fill via fill plug until fluid drips out.
- Screw in fill plug.
- Profit.

You do get bonus points for creativity though
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
How can you fill the tcase and rear end from the drain hole!? I've never even heard of that.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sub'd for 2 awesome methods for this ! gonna use this next week!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:15 PM

I use the same type of device, just fill through fill plug. Can't say I have tried through the drain plug
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have found that filling through the fill plug can be hard to judge when it is actually full. Fluid gets backed up during its path through the case and will start to come out of the fill plug giving the illusion that it is full.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/t-case-filling

http://teamrip.com/transfer_case_hyp...tion_info.html

Good links to read.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Jul 22, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
I have found that filling through the fill plug can be hard to judge when it is actually full. Fluid gets backed up during its path through the case and will start to come out of the fill plug giving the illusion that it is full.
+1, I've always filled the T-case through the drain for that reason.

Quick Reply: My Homemade Tcase/Rear End Fluid Filler Tool