Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solid Lifters VS Hydraulic Lifters?

Old May 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid Lifters VS Hydraulic Lifters?

So I am fed up with lifter noise I have a really bat tapping in the head and I want to eliminate the possibility that it is lifters. I had a set of used JAM big bore lifters then the stock ones. I have the tapping with both and it is definitely in the valve train somewhere. So my question is what are the positives and negatives of going with a solid lifter over another new set of hydraulic lifters? Also if anyone has a good recommendation on where to get the BLE Solid Lifters I would appreciate the advice!
Old May 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

when you changed the lifters did you blled them down the correct way also when bleed mine i also take the timing belt off and prime the oil pump for like 5 mins to make sure the lifters are fully pumped up with oil before starting the car back up try bleeding them and priming the motor back up that might fix your problem. diesel gas is very good to soak them in so is e85. hope this helps.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:50 AM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What cams and how old are they ? I had a set of the new hks 274/278 cams and they ticked at idle. I switch to S2 and no more tick.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Solid lifters are absolutely not going to be quieter than hydraulic. The purpose of a hydraulic lifter is to be able to continuously adjust so they don't make so much noise/ Cause wear. The upside to solid lifters is that they don't compress or pump up, thereby allowing for better valve control, especially at high RPM.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

nm

Last edited by evoxsi; May 28, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kpr
What cams and how old are they ? I had a set of the new hks 274/278 cams and they ticked at idle. I switch to S2 and no more tick.
They are the BF272's

The JAM's I bought used so I am not sure of the miles on them the stock ones were around 60k miles
Old May 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kpr
sorry coincidence if anything--- unrelated to the cams used.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well I messaged Bushur and he told me I was not able to use solid lifters with the BF272's
Old May 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by THUB
Solid lifters are absolutely not going to be quieter than hydraulic. The purpose of a hydraulic lifter is to be able to continuously adjust so they don't make so much noise/ Cause wear. The upside to solid lifters is that they don't compress or pump up, thereby allowing for better valve control, especially at high RPM.
I have been wondering the same thing. I was told that the OEM lifters are good quality but I wonder what would be better quality. I narrowed my choice down to the GSC no tick lifters. What are your thoughts of these fellahs?

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/g...k-lifters.html
Old May 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I hear they are a good option. I have a set of JAM lifters and I wonder how people like these if I should service them and reuse them or just do the stockers.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:57 PM

Old May 30, 2012, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikeppie
Yeah I hear they are a good option. I have a set of JAM lifters and I wonder how people like these if I should service them and reuse them or just do the stockers.
Hopefully someone will chime in and give some good information.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

It would be nice, I now JAM was popular a while back but the other day I tried to find them and I have not been able to find them other than private I wonder if they were not so good and discontinued?
Old May 30, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I have been wondering the same thing. I was told that the OEM lifters are good quality but I wonder what would be better quality. I narrowed my choice down to the GSC no tick lifters. What are your thoughts of these fellahs?

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/g...k-lifters.html
I don't get to have an opinion because I've never run them personally but GSC is pretty well known for making good stuff. They should be worth a shot.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I just cleaned and bled the JAM lifters according to the Mitsubishi service manual and two of them are bad! No wonder I had crazy lifter noises!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Lifters VS Hydraulic Lifters?