Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DIY clutch install experiences! lets hear them!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY clutch install experiences! lets hear them!

So Im looking to upgrade my clutch and would like to save a little cash by doing the install myself. I have a quote for an install for $600, but would like to hear some install experiences. Is it worth taking this task on, or should I just eat the install cost? All feedback would be appreciated!
Old May 18, 2011, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

It comes down to your mechanical skill and resources.
Old May 18, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

It sucks, but I'm cheap so I do it myself, $600 is a lot of money to me. Extra hands always help, there are some good write ups around, like the one on evomoto.com
Old May 18, 2011, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
It sucks, but I'm cheap so I do it myself, $600 is a lot of money to me. Extra hands always help, there are some good write ups around, like the one on evomoto.com
You damn right
Old May 18, 2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by JToussEVOVIII
So Im looking to upgrade my clutch and would like to save a little cash by doing the install myself. I have a quote for an install for $600, but would like to hear some install experiences. Is it worth taking this task on, or should I just eat the install cost? All feedback would be appreciated!
I have access or own any tool id need for the install. As well as access to a hydraulic lift. I have no doubt my mechanical skill is up to par for the job. Im an aircraft mechanic. I've just never have done a clutch on an evo. I more or less don't wanna try this to try an save $600 bucks and mess something worse up and cause more expensive repairs. I've heard many horror stories about t-cases getting jacked up from installs.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

just dont strip any bolts.. use 6 points for 6 points and 12 points for 12 points......have all your sockets on evenly before you go twisting things off.. always use torque wrench.

i've done mine twice now...its actually pretty easy with a second pair of hands... if you look at evo moto's writeup, ... do that step by step and you should hav eno issues.... look it over first see if its something you can handle
Old May 18, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 tips that you must heed:

1 DONOT let the tranny rest on the input shaft while putting it on now matter how tired your arms get. This will jack up the TOB clips.

2 have a good slide hammer handy its a must.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

It's a PITA. I come from hondas and have done over 50+ engine swaps with K's,B's, and D's so I'm experience. When I had my old MR, I had to take the trans out 4 times in a matter of 2 months. The last time I had to take it off, the TOB clip got stuck so I couldn't take the trans off. I tried taking out the pressure plate but one of the bolts got stripped. Ended up sending it to the shop anyways. It was probably the worst time I've had dealing with a car.

I sold that MR after this as I hated the situation so much. I picked up another MR as of late and guess what, trans went bye,bye as well. Well, I sent it straight to the shop as I was not going to screw with it again. Overall, if everything should go like it should then you're fine but if things starts to get stuck or something unusualhappens then you'll regret doing it in the first place. My .02
Old May 18, 2011, 07:49 AM

I just did mine about 3 weeks ago. I followed the evomoto.com write up and it went real smooth. It took about 11 hours to do it. Did it in a weekend no problem. Slide hammer is really the only special tool you need to pull the output shaft out of the tc. Getting the tranny out and in is really the most difficult thing. Its like trying to fit a square block in a round hole. But once you line it up just right it goes right up in there.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

slide hammer you can rent from autozone.. i think it was like 50$ to rent. but just return it and u get ur money back..so all is well.

the kind they gave me has like three "fingers" on it.. so what i did was thread a screw into the shaft... and put a bolt with a large washer on it.... gripped the hammer on there best i could and it came off everytie with just one whack
Old May 18, 2011, 08:50 AM

I did mine out of my garage with an engine hoist. Made life much easy when it came time to install the tranny. Also be prepared for your hands and fingers to hurt for the next two weeks.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have taken my transmission out about three times and have done it on other evos also. First of all, I recommend keeping the car as level as possible when it is on jack stands. I actually had mine leaning towards the front end a little more. The reason for this is so the engine isn't pushed back towards the firewall. When that occurs you have to fandangle the tranny to get it back on. Also, when taking the transmission off, do not pry on it. If you have taken all of the bolts connecting the block and transmission then it should slide off fairly easy. Lastly, I have seen some people use a metal slide hammer to insert the output shaft back in and that deforms all of the grooves resulting in a new shaft that had to be bought. I always use a long piece of 2x2 to insert mine.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Instead of using jack to raise and lower the trans. Use an engine hoist on the trans and jack on the motor. Make the job 110% easier.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
^ +1 Wrap that trans up and hoist!
Old May 18, 2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the response! I think im gunna go for the DIY on this one. Now, I just need to decide on the clutch I want to use. Any recommendations? My power specs are 380 hp 340 tq... I don't track the car.. I may do a few runs at the local strip to see my times but other then that its my DD with a little spirited driving!! Thanks again EVOM!!!

Quick Reply: DIY clutch install experiences! lets hear them!