Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 7460 Howling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS 7460 Howling

I bought the HKS 7460 turbo/cams combo back in October time frame. The turbo sat in plastic until a couple weeks ago when I had all other parts to install with it. I installed the turbo, new exhaust mani, and switched to speed density along with other minor parts. It was installed with the newly supplied oil/coolant lines. Here we are <1000 miles later and I have noticed this howl only when I begin to boost. I have contacted the vendor and they believe they will have to send it to HKS for warranty claim/etc if it comes to that.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could cause this noise, or any advice for this situation?

I tried to attach a audio file but it wont upload to photobucket or youtube.

Thanks in advance

Travis
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

How did you narrow this down to the turbo? Have you done any boost leak tests? I have heard of the compressor whine of death, but not a howl. Video would be nice.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
How did you narrow this down to the turbo? Have you done any boost leak tests? I have heard of the compressor whine of death, but not a howl. Video would be nice.
I am going to work on a video tomorrow when I get off. I did a boost leak test when I installed it and I plan to do another this weekend.

The noise is not consistent with rpm or speed. It only happens when I begin to boost. Therefore I'm leaning towards the turbo itself or something pressurized.

Thanks

Travis
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

the blades is catching the housing...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acssa
the blades is catching the housing...
care to expand on this? How would this happen on a brand new turbo?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

I had an Evo 9 turbo that made this noise. It was blown and I replaced it with the HKS turbo. Any oil leaks?

I also once had a 35R with a few thousand miles just die on me and I had to buy a new one because it was over a year old. Contact the vendor.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

This happend to me on a BBK Full.... they said it was due to over speeding as a result of boost leak... hose jumping of. The real reason...lol, you will be told fairy tails
Originally Posted by turbotboz
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened with my FP Black after 1400~ miles. It can happen.

Also, check the turbo for shaft play and do a boost leak test.

-Bink
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought the HKS 7460 turbo/cams combo back in October time frame. The turbo sat in plastic until a couple weeks ago when I had all other parts to install with it. I installed the turbo, new exhaust mani, and switched to speed density along with other minor parts. It was installed with the newly supplied oil/coolant lines. Here we are <1000 miles later and I have noticed this howl only when I begin to boost. I have contacted the vendor and they believe they will have to send it to HKS for warranty claim/etc if it comes to that.
Is this at part throttle or full throttle? On my stock turbo, I would get a faint howl at part throttle from about 0-3psi. I narrowed it down to an exhaust leak between the dp and test pipe. Like everyone else said, check the turbo itself for shaft movement, check boost leaks, and now u should also check for exhaust leaks. In the end, if the turbo still performs well, and the car pulls like it should, just let it be. If it blows, it blows...not much you can do about it
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I checked the turbo for shaft play last night. Being that its ball bearing, I understand it should have play, but I'm unsure of whether its too much for BB. The howl is at partial or full throttle, but timed right when boost begins till I lift throttle. I will do another boost leak test this weekend or sooner if I can get off work before dark. Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

Travis
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

I checked the turbo for shaft play last night. Being that its ball bearing, I understand it should have play, but I'm unsure of whether its too much for BB. The howl is at partial or full throttle, but timed right when boost begins till I lift throttle. I will do another boost leak test this weekend or sooner if I can get off work before dark. Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

Travis
What's update on your situation?

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on blades contacting housing, however it could be the bearings not getting enough oil. I had a brand new turbo do this b/c the shop that installed it on my honda used teflon tape on the oil line and it dissolved and blocked up the oil passages. It sounded like a ghost wailing and soon after well....
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

The turbo is still on the car. Its been sitting. Havent had the chance to remove it. However, there are not signs of the blades touching the housing and I really hope its not a oil starvation item considering bb turbos dont need that much oil to begin with anyways.

I am swapping parts out tomorrow starting with the FMIC. A lot of parts went on at the same time as the turbo so its time to eliminate some. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Travis
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

This happen to me yesterday and car doesn`t build any boost. Brand new BBK-B inside shaft was bent. I don`t know what caused it but if I get some answers I post it.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wally7714
This happen to me yesterday and car doesn`t build any boost. Brand new BBK-B inside shaft was bent. I don`t know what caused it but if I get some answers I post it.
the diagnosis is simple. compressor wheel hits housing at high rpm. this will twist the shaft and destroy turbo.

possible reasons include over spinning turbo, turbo out of balance, trash in oil, or oil quality not high enough. Blouch will likely blame you and not warranty turbo. Even when it may have been turbo builders fault. This is where FP shines. no questions asked warranty first failure.

Quick Reply: HKS 7460 Howling