Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus V5 vs AMS F1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
any chance of getting a DI manifold on the car Arron?
+1,000,000 on that one. Ive been looking at them for awhile now.. Would be sweet if these two could also go up against MAP Rev 3, DI race, Skunk, ect. all in a day or two of eachother.

Huge pain in the butt to swap, esp the magnus and ams but would sure settle some questions, at least on some set ups.

Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by still*boostn
+1,000,000 on that one. Ive been looking at them for awhile now.. Would be sweet if these two could also go up against MAP Rev 3, DI race, Skunk, ect. all in a day or two of eachother.

Huge pain in the butt to swap, esp the magnus and ams but would sure settle some questions, at least on some set ups.

skunk is a POS. i here you have to mod the hell out of it to get it to work right. not even worth it. BR tested it, STM tested it. there is better on the market with less hassle. DI has been around for a long time and is proven to do well on many cars. they make a few plenum sizes as well. i think at the least if there is another intake mani test then the DI should be involved. as for the hole stock ported thing. i dont know. ill keep my mouth shut on that one. lol
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evodan2004
skunk is a POS. i here you have to mod the hell out of it to get it to work right. not even worth it. BR tested it, STM tested it. there is better on the market with less hassle. DI has been around for a long time and is proven to do well on many cars. they make a few plenum sizes as well. i think at the least if there is another intake mani test then the DI should be involved. as for the hole stock ported thing. i dont know. ill keep my mouth shut on that one. lol
Agreed Skunk is garbage.. curt ported the **** out of his just to make it work period.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is boost higher on the Magnus pull?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Well peak boost right in the start is higher but its the same if not lower out the top.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the more flat spots in the 1st ams testing and Magnus was the springs. Almost gives the tire spin look. Not sure why the springs would give that look.

From our 1st Magnus testing when the springs really took a crap the spool was the same but then when we came back with the springs and lost the spool VS the old springs I was a little confused.

The other thing I had Aaron do was block the timing so it curved with RPM but 15psi and on would be the same. So there is a chance that there is 1deg more timing in the 1st AMS runs down low with the bad springs. Aaron said he logs were the same. So these last runs AMS VS Magnus I know are the same timing.

Originally Posted by tscompusa
so it looks like the magnus wins on both test's overall. what happened to the ams more mid range tho? the springs changed that? the lines arent as smooth as before either.. kinda wobly.. but either way the magnus is better uptop no matter what way you look at it..

i wish we could see the map rev3 against the magnus.. i know it will lose uptop but i want to see what it would do mid range. id be interested to see how much it would actually lose uptop also.. if it were like 25whp id be shocked.

i think customer should put the magnus on.. i mean they are both good but i sure as hell wouldnt want the ams on after seeing it lose power if it were my car.. no offense to ams.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lucas English
Well the more flat spots in the 1st ams testing and Magnus was the springs. Almost gives the tire spin look. Not sure why the springs would give that look.

From our 1st Magnus testing when the springs really took a crap the spool was the same but then when we came back with the springs and lost the spool VS the old springs I was a little confused.

The other thing I had Aaron do was block the timing so it curved with RPM but 15psi and on would be the same. So there is a chance that there is 1deg more timing in the 1st AMS runs down low with the bad springs. Aaron said he logs were the same. So these last runs AMS VS Magnus I know are the same timing.
ya it can be tricky with not a lot of rpm axis to play with... so the initial first test actually was in the ams's favor as far as the issues went.. it made it look like it had lots more mid range...

when in reality the magnus shows identical if not more mid range and way more power uptop overall.

the magnus is clearly the winner no matter what way you look at it..

thanks for the test.. now i know what manifold to get if i ever change out my current one.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if I would say the Skunk2 is junk, for one Buschur did not test it, and two STM did gain with it, yes with some port match porting but it did gain. An intake is an intake, has a plenum of X volume and ruuners of Y length, now depending on where you want your power curve depends on X and Y proportions. At this point until proven otherwise I feel the Skunk2 gives the fatest street powerband as of yet. No one has conducted a proper test with this manifold vs it's peers. Prove me wrong and it will come off faster than hell!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow....interesting to see the Magnus edge out the AMS manifold.

Thanks for all of your efforts guys!

-Bink
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
CBRE, WE need to do a proper test on your car too, on the dyno!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
We have tested a Skunk and it was up about 27whp over a stock manifold on a 2.3/stock turbo combo on pumpgas. We had to clean it up some and make an adapter to seal the TB gap they cast into it for their big TB.

I dont thing we are going to do any other testing for awhile. I whine and complain about long hours too much Seriously though, I dont think we'd see anything with it different as far as peak power and a reduction in torque down low (the Driven Innovation).

The mid range looked like a testing variable since one night was a little colder than the rest and it seemed to like it. We retested on friday with more average conditions to the other days and it was the same with the Magnus still spooling 100-150rpm faster.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 15, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd love to get my intake on that car if you guys get antsy and want to run more tests.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I'd love to get my intake on that car if you guys get antsy and want to run more tests.
I'll talk to Luke and see what he says
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This thread just got even more interesting than it already was. Coolio
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This whole intake testing is kind of funny. There seems to be this thought out there that one manifold will be the magic bullet to spool faster and make loads more top end. It's like Curt said, different setups will benefit from different design parameters.

Also, when talking about plenum volume, runner volume is also part of that plenum volume...

Simple fact is, even on a 600+ HP car going from a stock ported intake to the Magnus is only like 30 HP.

MOST cars out there aren't setup well enough to even see an ET gain from that 30 HP and that $1000 would be much better spent on a better set of tires or suspension pieces.

Quick Reply: Magnus V5 vs AMS F1 Intake