Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ets intercooler vs garrret intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atkins
you are absolutely correct, but if you read the op's first post he is asking about a 3.5 ets core that he currently has vs the garret core so im actually giving him the exact info he is looking for.

jeff
Yeah, I re-read and noticed that.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atkins
you are absolutely correct, but if you read the op's first post he is asking about a 3.5 ets core that he currently has vs the garret core so im actually giving him the exact info he is looking for.

jeff
Nice test I really like the cbrd core ,but as long as it's a garret core I think I would be more then happier then this ets core.

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Most say that the 3.8 garret is best (BR, CBRD, etc). ETS claims their 4" is just as good.

BR has a thread on his forum, here he showed pre and post IC temps from many many IC, and the garret always performs best.

ETS on the other hand claims their is best and that garret cores can cause overheating. On an EVO, it wont. On a DSM, yes it can.

Theres probably a lot more to the whole debate, but with that all being said, I run the ETS 3.8 garret FMIC.

They say the garret core fins are to close together and cause overheating to the rad,but that's doesn't apply to the evo's.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I wish mike would chime in for some answers .Mike wake up.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has been a long debated subject and we can discuss this more, only because Michael at ETS has designed a new core to replace the old ETS cores and he says that it is just as good as the Garrett, if not better.

There should be testing soon but I'm sure Michael will come in here and discuss his core. If not I'll shoot him a pm.

For what it is worth, until I see anything to prove me wrong Garrett FTW. ETS get out there and make a better core

Mikey
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
This has been a long debated subject and we can discuss this more, only because Michael at ETS has designed a new core to replace the old ETS cores and he says that it is just as good as the Garrett, if not better.

There should be testing soon but I'm sure Michael will come in here and discuss his core. If not I'll shoot him a pm.

For what it is worth, until I see anything to prove me wrong Garrett FTW. ETS get out there and make a better core

Mikey

Luke was saying something about NEW core that's why I started the thread he has a ets core and will be swapping it out for a garret or the new ets core..I WANNA SEE PICS OF IT.Thanks mike about the pm.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I got a new core 4in being put on my car now hahaha

Hey Thomas, how does it look?

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jan 30, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the garrett core is much more dense and has way more fins per square inch. u can easly tell the differance if you have both intercoolers in front of you side by side
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well if ets doesn't help me out im gonna sell it for $300 bucks its like brand new.Im gonna buy a br bfi.4.5 garret core.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by achilles3000
I wish mike would chime in for some answers .Mike wake up.
He doesnt work weekends.

If you bought it through someone else thats really on the middle man, but I would be surprised if something cant be worked out. Look for the thread he (ETS Michael) posted about Garrett cores though. There are some interesting pictures and breakdown of some Garrett core they recently saw.

Aaron
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
He doesnt work weekends.

If you bought it through someone else thats really on the middle man, but I would be surprised if something cant be worked out. Look for the thread he (ETS Michael) posted about Garrett cores though. There are some interesting pictures and breakdown of some Garrett core they recently saw.

Aaron

I'm gonna search for that thank you sir.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know if any of you noticed, but that dyno comparison between the ETS and the Garrett core showing like a 30WHP gain had the Garrett running 1.5 psi more boost then the ETS.

The claim being that the Garrett would allow more boost.

I wouldn't disregard it as a simple comparison, but there is a lot of variables in there that went completely unaddressed to call it a through test.

Just my own experience, nothing cools like a Garret. Nothing has more pressure drop or blocks more air to the radiator either though. You can't really have the first without the latter though.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by achilles3000
There was a test done by dyno flash about these 2 intercooler's and al said that the garret a.t never changed threw out each pulls.Does anyone have a link to that video??Has anyone had the ets core and swap to a garret core and see any difference overall??Or is it a waste of money to swap it out if it is ets sold me a 3.5 core when I wanted a garret from the beginning..
i love Buchur Racing, only have there products, but ETS is just as good.

I think Wreacky AL is talking out of his butt sometimes. Do research.

IMO if u want 400-550whp at most 3.5" ETS FMIC is great

400-800WHP Buschur 4" FMIC Awesome

This what i got out of my readings on here
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i love Buchur Racing, only have there products, but ETS is just as good.

I think Wreacky AL is talking out of his butt sometimes. Do research.

IMO if u want 400-550whp at most 3.5" ETS FMIC is great

400-800WHP Buschur 4" FMIC Awesome

This what i got out of my readings on here
Well I'm at 540whp with lower boost and soon gonna crank it 650 whp.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all Garrett cores are made equally,

from what we've seen, they vary on FPI depending on the actual core size selected.

ETS recently (as mentioned above) increased their fin density (I talk to Michael quite a bit)...

they also used to build garrett core fmic's if you requested it!

We use a variety of FCP and Garrett cores (or even Bell) depending on configuration.

The bottom line is not every one needs the same intercooler for each application, but you have to choose what works for you.

In the evo 8/9 applications we have found that the garrett core in the 3.8" simply worked best for us after utilizing cores from almost everyone else on the market over the past few years.

Cheers

cb
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Here is the thread I posted on the Garrett VS ETS intercooler core.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I'll stand by my "best" statement. I ignore you and your products, didn't realize you guys made one larger than ours.
Best Core? It's funny you mention that.. We had to make a custom intercooler using a Garrett core last week and when we were cutting it we noticed something odd about the fin pack. Check out the pictures below.

** Garrett Core - Check out the fin pack how it gets very restrictive towards the middle and it's also pieced together instead of a 1 piece internal fin pack.

** Garrett Core On Top
** ETS Core On Bottom (See the difference in fin pack, we use 1 large section where the Garrett is chopped up and not even. It also becomes very restrictive in the center of the core with the taper.

** Pictures from the front so you can see it's a Garrett core.
Here are some pictures of our new core vs the garrett.

*** Since we spec out each intercooler for every application we have the ability to switch up the fin pack and intercooler design. We added more charge rows for more heat transfer plates and loosened up the internal fin pack for less pressure drop. We also changed the fin pack design from a /| fin pack to a TT fin pack.

Your main heat transfer takes place between the external fin pack and the heat transfer plate on the charge row. By changing the fin pack we increased our heat transfer greatly. The standard /\ fin pack will transfer heat at the very tip, where the new TT fin pack we use has a much larger area to transfer heat at the tip of the fin pack.

I just walked into the office, so I will post again shortly.

Michael

Quick Reply: Ets intercooler vs garrret intercooler