Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the Radium will support cars with 800 hp and much more blowby?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyboost
2x -10an fittings in the valve cover to a sealed can with a -12an fitting going to the intake to pull vacuum
I could be wrong, but did you buy this setup off Brian @ Dynotech?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I could be wrong, but did you buy this setup off Brian @ Dynotech?
yessir I did
Old Aug 1, 2014, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by WannaRace
^Running this set up for the past 3 months. Looks great and functions perfectly. Dipsticks are very useful for gauging how much blow-by has accumulated.

I've only got it set up with factory hose routing right now but I don't have any crankcase pressure issues at the moment. Radium makes it very easy to change all fittings and lines to accommodate any -AN fitting. Very slick setup! Here's my personal car:

Nice! Ya you beat me to it now. Your pics show everything. The little dipstick thing is funny but will be nice to check the oil level in the can.

Technically, you only should need the pcv side. Thats the only side that will see oil in the can. The driver side is mainly for releasing pressure, on a healthy engine it has no oil coming out.

My silver car has -10 vent to air nothing comes out.

Originally Posted by Dragracer187
Do you think the Radium will support cars with 800 hp and much more blowby?
Technically all it is, is a trap for oil inbetween the intake mani and pcv to keep oil out of the intake mani that gums it up over time.

i have nothing on my evo and made 744 with ease and sleeper is trapping 145 almost and has nothing. 100% factory setup. no blow by, no oil burning, no dipstick moving etc. i still put a spring on the stick just in case though for piece of mind.

all that said, the more venting the more efficient the engine will operate. just dont vent in areas that are not meant to be vented (non baffle areas) or you will regret it and push oil into the can and actually lose your oil faster.

I never thought this thread would become this big when i first started it. wow.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
we have a new billet machined adapter for the block that we will be releasing shortly- to add a -12 in a creative way to the case itself

the issue we've seen in road race cars (on various configurations) is even with a Kiggly etc the oil simply cant return to the pan fast (easy) enough since there is no "true" crank case vent on the motor- its just a vented valve cover- and the oil is sharing its return orifices from the head back to the pan while there is pressure doing the opposite-

cb
Any update on this new adapter for us HPDE types?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Any update on this new adapter for us HPDE types?

Right on so if a single vacuum source were to be efficient on the block you could eliminate a lot of stuff ..
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Ok guys so I've been reading through this thread for a while now and I kind of feel like I screwed up. I picked up an AGP valve cover breather and installed it on my IX. The PCV side is untouched, its still being routed directly to the IM. My main concern now is there being no vacuum to pull pressure. What should I do?!

Here's a pic of it on my car. Once again the PCV side is untouched.

And here's the website link of it for reference

http://www.agpturbo.com/evolution-vi...over-breather/
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Ok guys so I've been reading through this thread for a while now and I kind of feel like I screwed up. I picked up an AGP valve cover breather and installed it on my IX. The PCV side is untouched, its still being routed directly to the IM. My main concern now is there being no vacuum to pull pressure. What should I do?!

Here's a pic of it on my car. Once again the PCV side is untouched.

And here's the website link of it for reference

http://www.agpturbo.com/evolution-vi...over-breather/

I used to have that breather. I tried it both ways, vented, and I also made my own hose that clamped on the top side where the filter would go, back into my oem intake using a reducer.

After going back and forth between the oem setup I just decided to ditch it. It didnt do anything more than what the oem setup was doing. I dont have logs to prove it, but I swear my idle was better when I ditched the filter for rerouting it back into the intake like the oem setup is. ymmv.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When running an open breather you're introducing an air leak around the MAF, so at idle when air flow is lowest your % error is highest = potentially bad idle behavior.

Does anyone have a good source for a factory like valve cover fitting that's:
1) Bigger
2) Has a smooth bead to allow breather hose install and removal

The stuff at the hardware store is barbed and thus isn't easy to remove for service. For the same reason I don't want to run AN fittings as they're bulky and get hard to work around in an otherwise mostly stock looking engine compartment.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:18 PM

I have the radium setup on my evo.
But I found that the PCV valve was not doing its job on my car which was forcing oil to the intake side.
So I blocked the pipe to the intake manifold, removed the PCV valve (hose run straight to the can) and tee off the return line with both catch cans to the intake of the turbo. So far it works well and the can is working well after I changed the configuration 2 days ago.

I will have to remove the can and see what crap I collected after a weeks worth of driving...

Cheers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Back of valve cover - STM -10 fitting. -10 AN hose straight to K&N filter.
Side of valve cover - Drilled 1/2" NPT thread to -10 AN, hose straight to another K&N filter.

No oil out of either......

done.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Here is my fix.

Looks a little messy/crappy, partially because of the afpr/hoses, and the only good quality hose I had was blue... but it does the job and utilizes one of those ghetto ebay catch cans I drilled and tapped much larger fittings into. It's basically out of the way, and works.. so looks come after that imo.

When I pulled the valve cover to install the 272's, I drilled and tapped and put a short pipe in it. It does get some oil in the hose, but so far not enough to reach the catch can. (The can has two clear nylon tubes coming out of the bottom of it that I can use to drain, and the have nothing in them after approx 500 miles of driving (lots of tuning pulls etc.) And nothing coming out of the breather.

Just something to think about. It's easy to pull the valve cover, and when you look inside you can see why I chose that spot to drill/tap. Options are limited...

*updated picture added (changed to black hoses etc.)
Attached Thumbnails for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues-evo1e_s.jpg  

Last edited by GravityKnight; Nov 9, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Slowvac
I have the radium setup on my evo.
But I found that the PCV valve was not doing its job on my car which was forcing oil to the intake side.
So I blocked the pipe to the intake manifold, removed the PCV valve (hose run straight to the can) and tee off the return line with both catch cans to the intake of the turbo. So far it works well and the can is working well after I changed the configuration 2 days ago.

I will have to remove the can and see what crap I collected after a weeks worth of driving...

Cheers.
How has that worked out? About to use that exact setup
Old Nov 9, 2014, 03:14 AM

I've travelled over 1000miles with the both plumbed to the intakes and I was in disbelief how much crap it collected over that period of time using e85 with a built motor. I would say its worth changing with plumbing both cans to the intake (unless someone tells me a reason for it being wrong)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed! Having oil issues with my BB green on my IX need to sort it so i can get it back on the dyno and finish my tune off

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues