Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g64 Or 4g69

Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TK40
Wow I was under the impression that a built 4g64 was a cheaper alternative to building a 4g63. As a comparison, you can get a 2.3 4g63 from Buschur for $3300. I was assuming the 4g64 to be less.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Yea but for the 2.3 you have to send them a good core. 4G64 do not require a core as the blocks are very a dime a dozen
BINGO as stated above if your core is bad add another 1200-1800 to the price of that and i thought br 2.3 was 3550 something like that. buiding a 2.4(4g64) will be cheaper no matter how you slice and dice it.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Jun 28, 2019)
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just some info I found on the web from Mitsu about the 4G69 while researching pistons for the Evo......

4G69 ENGINE MODIFICATIONS

Besides being enhanced with MIVEC, the 2.4-liter (4G69) engine has received a number of other mechanical updates that help it breathe and exhale more efficiently, as well as several improvements to help reduce the weight of moving parts. All of the following feature comparisons are to the 2.4-liter (4G64) engine.

Intake. Several modifications were made to improve both efficiency and performance. Starting with the incoming air, the aluminum intake manifold's interior surface was smoothed to increase intake efficiency. The intake runners are also longer, and they feature a bell-mouth shape to reduce air intake resistance. Exhaust. More air coming in means more air needs to get out, so the exhaust manifold was switched from single to dual ports, which reduces interference and improves the flow of gases out of the combustion chamber. Rocker cover. For better noise reduction and to reduce weight, the rocker cover is made of aluminum instead of steel. Combustion. More efficient combustion has been achieved by increasing the compression ratio to 9.5:1 (from 9.0:1). Valves. To improve high-speed efficiency, the valve sizes were increased - intake valves are larger by 1 millimeter in diameter (to 34 mm), and exhaust valves were increased by 1.5 mm in diameter (to 30.55 mm). Pistons. With the compression height reduced, the piston height was reduced to match. Even though the pistons have a slightly larger diameter (87 mm versus 86.5 mm), they are significantly lighter in weight (278 grams per unit compared to 354 grams). For moving parts, lower mass also means better efficiency. Connecting rods. The weight of each connecting rod was reduced from 623 g to 530 g. Crankshaft. Once again engineers found a way to reduce the mass of a moving part. The crankshaft's weight was reduced from 15.8 kg to 14.9 kg. In addition, the crankshaft pulley's weight was reduced at the same time its size was increased. By using aluminum in the hub in place of steel, the pulley's weight was reduced from 2.9 kg to 1.8 kg, a savings of 1.1 kg. Timing belt. Weight and friction were reduced by shortening the width of the timing belt. To further reduce weight, the auto tensioner is now made of aluminum instead of cast iron. Serpentine drive belt. The 4G69 MIVEC engine uses a single serpentine belt to operate the engine's accessory drives for the power steering, alternator, and air conditioning unit. In addition to saving space compared to the dual-belt drive system used on the previous engine, the low-maintenance serpentine belt features an auto tensioner. CYLINDER BLOCK

The height of the cylinder block was reduced to decrease weight, and the water jacket's length was shortened to help warm the engine faster for better fuel consumption. Also, air bleed holes were added to the main webs to reduce piston moving resistance, which is created by pressure pulsation when the piston is in motion. Also, the new cylinder block reroutes the oil returning from the head to reduce interference between the oil and the rotating crankshaft.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Jun 28, 2019)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Interesting...thanks for posting
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I sounds like Mitsubishi has been spying on what the aftermarket has been doing in designing the new 4G69....ie, 87mm bore, light weight stroker pistons, lightweight rods etc....Do you guys think it's a better block vs. the 4G63 or do you feel that it is bored out too much for maximum power at 87mm? It might be cool for an FP black maxing out at 650hp. i think it could work, but you'd have to use JE's light weight pistons, for example @ 278g and a light weight H-beam rod to even match what Mitsu is doing in this 4G69.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by miragevo
I sounds like Mitsubishi has been spying on what the aftermarket has been doing in designing the new 4G69....ie, 87mm bore, light weight stroker pistons, lightweight rods etc....Do you guys think it's a better block vs. the 4G63 or do you feel that it is bored out too much for maximum power at 87mm? It might be cool for an FP black maxing out at 650hp. i think it could work, but you'd have to use JE's light weight pistons, for example @ 278g and a light weight H-beam rod to even match what Mitsu is doing in this 4G69.
why dont you added all this stuff up total Lightweight pistons rods bearings thrust washers arp main studs cleaning block etc and let me know just on parts how much. I have seen one 4g69 build and it looked extremely promising but the user decieded to sell the car and move on was being built by asap preformace if im not mistaken
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4g63ftw
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

ok guys so the 4g69 has the same deck height as the stock 4g63 which would eliminate the cost of getting ajustable cam gears and it is set up for the mivec head that i have and also is lighter then the 4g64. but the 4g64 has a longer stroke which would add rpm to my redline if im correct right? now im not to clear on the comprestion ratio of them is the 4g69 better then the 4g64? also does the 4g64 cool better then the 4g69 just trying to get some facts straight before i make my mind up.

Last edited by L@Ncer06; Aug 16, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by L@Ncer06
ok guys so the 4g69 has the same deck height as the stock 4g63 which would eliminate the cost of getting ajustable cam gears and it is set up for the mivec head that i have and also is lighter then the 4g64. but the 4g64 has a longer stroke which would add rpm to my redline if im correct right? now im not to clear on the comprestion ratio of them is the 4g69 better then the 4g64? also does the 4g43 cool better then the 4g69 just trying to get some facts straight before i make my mind up.
The 4G69 is kinda like building a 4G63, but with the 4G69, you have no input on bore size as its 87mm to start with. Now with an 87mm bore, that is pretty maxed out and I think would be a limit on a maximum power build. If I had to estimate, I'd say the max build would consist of something similar to an FP Black making 650hp and 500ft/lbs of torque. If your build would be similar to these levels, I would say you're pretty safe. As far as cooling goes, there's not alot of data out there, but at this level of build, I think you'd be fine. If I were you, I'd pick up a 4G64 that could run the standard bore and would give yourself a slightly safer margin. Then use a 156mm rod and 9.5:1 compression piston. This would allow a higher redline and there are a lot of people doing this.....get a hold of Aaron at English Racing.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

This is some Good stuff i think more ppl will start doing the 4g69
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

The 4G69 is kinda like building a 4G63, but with the 4G69, you have no input on bore size as its 87mm to start with. Now with an 87mm bore, that is pretty maxed out and I think would be a limit on a maximum power build. If I had to estimate, I'd say the max build would consist of something similar to an FP Black making 650hp and 500ft/lbs of torque. If your build would be similar to these levels, I would say you're pretty safe. As far as cooling goes, there's not alot of data out there, but at this level of build, I think you'd be fine. If I were you, I'd pick up a 4G64 that could run the standard bore and would give yourself a slightly safer margin. Then use a 156mm rod and 9.5:1 compression piston. This would allow a higher redline and there are a lot of people doing this.....get a hold of Aaron at English Racing.
perfect you said it before me 4g64 all day
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, when it's all said and done, the 4G64 gives you the most options.....Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It also enables you to build it on the side while you're still cruising in your Evo.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

yup many combinations to choose from with the 4g64 2.1 rr2.3 std2.4 lr2.4 2.5 2.6. LOL drive your evo on the side while you build it you say LOL i kind of had that luxury when it was not acting up but my 4g63 2.0 served it tour of duty with me how sad i only put 6k miles on my car in 2 years on that motor now its gone. glad its gone now comes the 4g64 beast
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
yup many combinations to choose from with the 4g64 2.1 rr2.3 std2.4 lr2.4 2.5 2.6. LOL drive your evo on the side while you build it you say LOL i kind of had that luxury when it was not acting up but my 4g63 2.0 served it tour of duty with me how sad i only put 6k miles on my car in 2 years on that motor now its gone. glad its gone now comes the 4g64 beast
I've been gathering parts for the Evo just like you.....it seems like a lifetime has gone by. I've installed some, but still gathering and have changed my build path a half a dozen times!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I've been gathering parts for the Evo just like you.....it seems like a lifetime has gone by. I've installed some, but still gathering and have changed my build path a half a dozen times!!!!!!!!!!
good keep researching and learning form others builds for sure thats the cool part with buying part by part you can guage how it preforms in peoples builds for sure
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

ok miragevo so your saying that with the 4g69 its maxed out as far as bore so the only amount of power i would be making is about 650 or so? and your right about the cooling but for what im trying to get both blocks are safe so no problem there. also what if i were to bore out the 4g69 would that make it unsafe and more likely to crack just asking on that. so if i were to get the 4g64 what would i have to do to it so my evo 9 head will fit and work on it? thanks alot everyone really good info im really leaning towards the 4g64 but something about the 4g69 is still keeping me thinking i guess its because not many people have them and i like being different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4g64 Or 4g69