Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5zigen Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5zigen Exhaust

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to change out my stock (JDM VII) exhaust system for a no cat TBE. I was considering the Tanabe, cause I like the look and sound + heard good things about it.

HOWEVER my tuner/mechanic says he can hook me up with a 5zigen muffler (one of his racing team's sponsors) and have his exhaust guy do custom mandrel bent 80mm (3 inch) piping from the 02 housing back for under $700 out the door (depending on the days exchange rate) Compared to what it would cost to buy, ship, pay taxes on (if customs inspects it) and finally install another name brand TBE this is about half.

I would love to hear some reviews for single 5zigen mufflers on the EVO 7/8/9. All I can find searching Evo m is X dual 5zigen setups (and 5zigen wheels). I have found one clip on youtube of a 5sigen on an evo, and I liked the deep sound, but didn't know what other mods were on the car. Does this sound like the most bang I can get for my buck? Keep in mind I am in KOREA right now, so PLEASE consider that going with any purpose built Evo specific TBE costs about $300 in shipping and customs on top of the list price before you weigh in.

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm not sure if you know this but the Tanabe Medallion tapers inside the muffler. It tapers down to about 2.6" slightly over 2.5" . I know because I measured by cutting a piece of cardboard enough times until it was able to slide in and out . So thats just one thing to consider if its the Medallion model your looking for.

Also the sound as a catback only, it is perfect (tone and dynamic). As you add a catless test pipe and downpipe it gets loud (at least for my taste). So make sure the ones you heard if they were just catbacks, catless, and or full turbobacks with or w/out cat ?

But as for the Tanabe concept G I dont know much about that model. But if you were referring to the Concept G then I say just go with the custom built and save yourself the extra cost of shipping one in.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I was considering the Concept G full TBE (should have specified my bad). Mainly, I would like the opinion of people running a 5zigen (will likely have the choice of different 5zigen models) and which one you run.