Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch/Flywheel Rotational Weight (Pics): Exedy Triple VS. Quartermaster Twin.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/Flywheel Rotational Weight (Pics): Exedy Triple VS. Quartermaster Twin.

I know one is a twin disc and the other is a triple disc but this still is a pretty big difference. Just wanted to share the differences in weight with ya'll

My old clutch:

The New clutch:

BTW the only reason I switched clutches is because the discs on the exedy kept rounding off where the input shaft mates with the disc.

here is the thread about it https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360629

was just wantin to let ya'll know the differences in weights.
11.4 is a pretty significant difference I think and its supposed to still hold a lot of torque/power
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
People using the Quartermaster / PTT twin disc clutches have had the same issue. Make sure you got the hardened hubs for the clutch. Some have not lasted two oil changes...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
People using the Quartermaster / PTT twin disc clutches have had the same issue. Make sure you got the hardened hubs for the clutch. Some have not lasted two oil changes...

Very true. Make sure you check everything is at spec before putting the trans back on.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Strange...my qtm has lasted for 20,000 miles with no issues and many street and track passes. Hope i wont be a victim.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

what do you mean "hardened hubs" I mean I guess I got the normal clutch that they give ya for the evo I guess.

Is there an option to get Harder hubs than normal or something???
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The clutch friction discs have splined hubs. They can be ordered from PTT and Quartermaster with hardened hubs, which are the ones that are recommended if you want them to last. If you've not installed the clutch yet, I'd send the discs back for exchange if you didn't specify the hardened hubs.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

The clutch friction discs have splined hubs. They can be ordered from PTT and Quartermaster with hardened hubs, which are the ones that are recommended if you want them to last. If you've not installed the clutch yet, I'd send the discs back for exchange if you didn't specify the hardened hubs.
Hell, I'll call about that today. If I had known about that I would've ordered the super duper hardened hubs lol. I'm sooo tired of theses things stripping out. It happened twice with the exedy.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
I know one is a twin disc and the other is a triple disc but this still is a pretty big difference. Just wanted to share the differences in weight with ya'll

My old clutch:

The New clutch:

BTW the only reason I switched clutches is because the discs on the exedy kept rounding off where the input shaft mates with the disc.

here is the thread about it https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360629

was just wantin to let ya'll know the differences in weights.
11.4 is a pretty significant difference I think and its supposed to still hold a lot of torque/power
I was thinking of switching to QM. I hope this solves my problem too
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of power can this baby hold?

i cant decide on either this or a tilton
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:38 PM

I know a few local guys running 35R's (and mid-low 10 second passes) running the Quartermaster. It can certainly hold the power. It is going to be my next clutch after the 2600 goes...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psphinx81
what kind of power can this baby hold?

i cant decide on either this or a tilton
THe tilton Carbon/carbon wears out quicker on the street but is better for the track. But hell, if ya have 4000 lying around want an awesome track car then the tilton is awesome

the quartermaster is still supposed to be decent on the track though but can be more of a street car.

this is just what i've read I could be wrong, I havent installed this thing yet.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i actually was going to get the tilton cerametallic. but ive read so much about this clutch its hard to decide, but im really leaning towards the quartermaster at this point.

do u need to weld in a bolt to stop the clutch pedal with this? i read somewhere on here that one of these twin disks ull need to do it
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
Hell, I'll call about that today. If I had known about that I would've ordered the super duper hardened hubs lol. I'm sooo tired of theses things stripping out. It happened twice with the exedy.
Who did you get it from?

Maybe one of the Devo guys can chime in a shed some light on this.

We have them in 2 of our Evo's both over 500HP MD and solid 10 sec cars.

We both love the clutch and have yet to still really beat it up at the track

I sure hope this doesn't happen to me too.......anyone else put a stopper on their clutch pedal with this clutch?

One guy posted in another thread that he did and said he would post a pic of it but i seem to have missed it.

Last edited by PATRICK B.; Aug 19, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Who did you get it from?

Maybe one of the Devo guys can chime in a shed some light on this.

We have them in 2 of our Evo's both over 500HP MD and solid 10 sec cars.

We both love the clutch and have yet to still really beat it up at the track

I sure this doesn't happen to me too.......anyone else put a stopper on their clutch pedal with this clutch?

One guy posted in another thread that he did and said he would post a pic of it but i seem to have missed it.
I got mine from John Shepherd. Hopefully it's the hardened hub
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psphinx81
i actually was going to get the tilton cerametallic. but ive read so much about this clutch its hard to decide, but im really leaning towards the quartermaster at this point.

do u need to weld in a bolt to stop the clutch pedal with this? i read somewhere on here that one of these twin disks ull need to do it
yes you do have to use a clutch pedal stop on these.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel Rotational Weight (Pics): Exedy Triple VS. Quartermaster Twin.