Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: FP Red or BBK
FP Red
47.89%
BBK
45.16%
Other turbo, please specify
6.95%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: FP Red or BBK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
400-450 whp i say

HTA Green
FP red
Tomei Arms
BBK Full

All those will get you that powerlevel its all about spool rate and top end from this point. if you want room to grow its all about the fp red if you just want fast spool then hta green or bbk full for sure. the tomei seem in between. at this point does not really matter what you choose if you dont have the right mix of mods then your not going to put down what you want. you list looks good i agree with everybody else and say upper your cam selection. also i would run 1000cc injectors. other then that port everything out and just pick one of those and you will get your goal easy but just remember the red can get you ALOT MORE power when your ready for it
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EriCS
Okay Mr. I know everything! If you actually read what I posted you would realize that I am talking about torque not HP! Maybe you should ask Junior about that since HE was the one of the tuners that told me that torque is what causes internals to sh&t the bed . I guess since your tune is so special you have nothing to worry about...

p.s. If you look at your tune your not really close to the threshold so your "tune" is isn't aggressive enough to be concerned. Hp number don't mean much...
I know what pops motors. You Eric I'm not afraid of you son I will come to your house and fight you on the lawn and make you my woman. Junior rarely tunes a 4 banger over 450ft lbs. With the exemption of the race STi.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 I hate you!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Nobody truly knows what the limits of our block is, we can only guess and take an estimate... but some have came to the conclusion that 450wtq is the magic number...

as for the OP, what are your true goals with the car..? Daily driven street terror, drag, road course, auto-x... the later two I would stay away from the FP Red...

good luck on your search...

i would like a low 11's or faster, full weight, pump gas street car. after turbo upgrade i WILL be getting a daily driver, but this will be more or less a weekend car. it will be set up for road course with occansional auto-x and drag. i am leaning more towards the red mainly because of the fact if i did meth, e85, c16, etc it's going to give me more power than the others. like people said, theres room to grow with the red.

Originally Posted by kyooch
hey man

I have similar power goals/mods/mod plans as you.. I think the only diff is I don't have UICP. I'm making roughly 370-380whp, and I'm looking for a final goal of around 450whp, probably a little less. I believe our motors are good up to 500whp (at an upper limit) and the weak point are the rod bolts.

I voted BBK, just because I hear really good things about the turbo in terms of the quality, spool, and power it makes. It works great on pump gas 93 (I also plan to run nothing but 93.. no e85, meth anything like that). I have GSC S1's, which are like 264/268 i believe, and stock valve springs, so pretty similar in terms of cams. I probably won't upgrade to S2's. Turbo alone won't get you up to that power level, but I'm thinking of getting the AMS FI intake and some sort of tubular manifold as well, and then retuning etc. That'll probably put me around maybe like 420 to the wheels or so, and I don't plan on doing anything other than that.

greddy 264's are a 10.8 intake and 10.3 exhaust lift i believe, which is close to most 272's if not higher. i am toying with the idea of GSC S1's or the FP 4R cams w/springs and retainers. i will most likely stick with the greddy cams for now and see how much power they make. they seem like decent torque cams and i figure the 25psi wastegate will hold boost up top along with the red. i am going with either the Full Race, JM Fab or Shearer manifold along with the Shearer O2 dump

as for spool on the red, if its only 400rpm later, then i guess i couldn't mind it TOO much, although right now i hit peak boost/torque at right around 3500rpm according to my 4th gear pull dyno sheets
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Torque is the killer (so says everyone these days) and I've been making 400wtq on a Dyno Dynamics and 450+wtq on a dynojet for the past 6 months w/o issue. See my results in teh dyno section to back that up.
As I stated before if you trust that with a 20k car go for it. I would rather not take the chance. I would rather just pay to do my internals, then have to replace the whole block because I didn't replace the internals and the snapped rods screwed my sidewalls up. Congrats though .
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
i would like a low 11's or faster, full weight, pump gas street car. after turbo upgrade i WILL be getting a daily driver, but this will be more or less a weekend car. it will be set up for road course with occansional auto-x and drag. i am leaning more towards the red mainly because of the fact if i did meth, e85, c16, etc it's going to give me more power than the others. like people said, theres room to grow with the red.

greddy 264's are a 10.8 intake and 10.3 exhaust lift i believe, which is close to most 272's if not higher. i am toying with the idea of GSC S1's or the FP 4R cams w/springs and retainers. i will most likely stick with the greddy cams for now and see how much power they make. they seem like decent torque cams and i figure the 25psi wastegate will hold boost up top along with the red. i am going with either the Full Race, JM Fab or Shearer manifold along with the Shearer O2 dump

as for spool on the red, if its only 400rpm later, then i guess i couldn't mind it TOO much, although right now i hit peak boost/torque at right around 3500rpm according to my 4th gear pull dyno sheets
Good stuff - I honestly don't think swapping out cams is worth it. My thoughts on the turbo is this - if both turbos will hit, lets say, 450whp, might as go with the one with the quicker spool. Unless, as people have said, you're looking for some more power further down the road.. I won't be, I think the BBK will suit my needs just fine, plus I'll be doing a lot of a-x more often than track days typically.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

why not go with the new black...it is almost the same price as the red. I paid $2k for the black, 25psi wastegate actuator, port job, and the FP upgraded oil line. And with the black, 450whp on a mustang dyno is no problem and you dont loose much in spool. I hit full spool on my 2.0l and FP black at 3780rpms.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

First off the Red and the BBK were designed by two different people with two different thoughts in mind. On pump 93 I would go Red otherwise you won't reach your hp goal. The BBK-XL or B or wtf ever Chad is going to call it still won't make 480whp on pump!

Also you will not get 450tq out of either turbo unless you run crazy boost 30+psi, which you can't on pump, and your motor will not like that to much. On a Red 480hp will be around 360-390tq. That is perfect imo and your motor will last you forever. I have seen 600hp cars with 380tq NEVER pop a rod and they have all had over 50k miles. I think that 425tq would still be safe but 450tq is the line that no one on stock block should ever attempt to cross!

Mikey
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
why not go with the new black...it is almost the same price as the red. I paid $2k for the black, 25psi wastegate actuator, port job, and the FP upgraded oil line. And with the black, 450whp on a mustang dyno is no problem and you dont loose much in spool. I hit full spool on my 2.0l and FP black at 3780rpms.
Dyno?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I will have it up in the dyno section on Friday evening...I'm adding a few more things and getting it re-tuned for more boost.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
+1 I hate you!
You love me.

Yonkers Fire vs. Yonkers PD people

Last edited by DBallz; Nov 25, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

^ I hope changing out the stock fuel pump! :LOL:
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why we are better! YOU WILL LEARN...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03FQngxD33k
CONTINUED HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siL_G...eature=channel

Last edited by EriCS; Nov 24, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuevo803

Um does anyone else think those cams are too mild. Your cams are almost the same as HKS 264, 272, and 280. The term "272's" don't mean anything to me anymore. I'm telling you for a fact the Greddy cams are too mild and will not get you the power you desire. Your cams are your biggest drawback in your setup. Kelfords have more of an agressive lift 11mm and I think the GSC S2's are 11.2. As stated in the AMS cam test thread those are the 2 best cams for larger turbos like the Red. Look at all the Red dyno's that still use HKS cams and look at the end of the dyno pull. Then look at my link attached in my sig and you will see my power doesn't fall off it contiues to pull to redline
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
First off the Red and the BBK were designed by two different people with two different thoughts in mind. On pump 93 I would go Red otherwise you won't reach your hp goal. The BBK-XL or B or wtf ever Chad is going to call it still won't make 480whp on pump!

Also you will not get 450tq out of either turbo unless you run crazy boost 30+psi, which you can't on pump, and your motor will not like that to much. On a Red 480hp will be around 360-390tq. That is perfect imo and your motor will last you forever. I have seen 600hp cars with 380tq NEVER pop a rod and they have all had over 50k miles. I think that 425tq would still be safe but 450tq is the line that no one on stock block should ever attempt to cross!

Mikey

Mikey,

on what dyno? we have had bbk's make 450-480 on DJ's....380-430on our dyno on pump, unfortunately alot of our clients never post (seeing as we have over 250 of them out worldwide I'd say very few were posted). that being said, we've never had a red make more than 420whp on pump here either...

The larger turbo will obviously make more power..... the final version will be tested shortly.

regardless,

I feel the stock block on our dyno is good and reliable to say 430whp with a good tune, much more i think youll be seeing a rod or piston in your future

cb

Quick Reply: POLL: FP Red or BBK