Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

06 mr finally where i want to be 430!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 mr finally where i want to be 430!

Let me start by saying its been a long road all of one summer. I went from bone stock to the following set up.

AMS TBE
AMS FMIC
AMS LICP
K&N filter
FP Red 80 (27 PSI )
FP red intake pipe
GSC S1 cams
AEM wide band
Greddy boost controller
Tuned by the Colt4g63 ( username on evom)

I am currently tuned for 93, and running 27 PSI. I made 430whp and around 359torque, Car is a completely different ride, the power band on the car is amazing, night and day from stock, this thing just keeps getting stronger and stronger as you get upstairs. The turbo comes in nicely and is smooth all the way doesnt seem to fall on its face as you go through the power band. This set up is defiantly what I was looking for, and Is where i plan on keeping the car for some time to come. If you where thinking about doing a red do it ! it rocks ! However please dont forget about your supporting mods, do it right !

On to my next issue, tuning, if you dont have access to a local shop that does reputable tuning, dont try to do it your self, and mail ins are not always the answer. Every car is different, and in my case my car was a pain to tune. If I had choose a mail in, my car would not be where it is today. It required on site tuning to make my tune right, this could not be done with a mail in, would have taken a whole year. Colt4g63 just happens to live down the road from me and has been involved in the Mitsu community for years, friends with many of the guys at AMS, and well respected for is tuning ability, he is the role model all gear heads should look to. He spent endless amounts of time into making my car right, no half A** tune here, He never stopped to it was right ! When I had questions they where addressed, When I was having newbie concerns he took the time to check out the car again and again. Not only does he tune all the EVO's in this area, He tunes other cars as well, and is very good with AEM as well. If you happen to live in or around this area I highly suggest you look him up for your next tune, he has endless references. If you want to do a mail in tune, he does those as well. He doesnt advertise on here because he runs a successful RC engine building company that holds many engine speed records, and that is where is main focus is. Do yourself a favor, look the guy up Colt4g63. I have dealt with a few of the mail in companies and was not impressed with their service or there rates.

Well I am done rambling, I hope that this short review of my summer build will help others make the right decision not only in their part selection but more importantly their tune. Your parts cant come to life with out the right tune !!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I was really impressed on how your car moves out after taking that ride in it lastnight. It just made me want to get all my parts on and tuned on E85 much faster now.

Its funny, when I met you a few months ago your car was 100% stock and didn't have any intention to mod it. After talking to me and Adam now look at you.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Can you post your DLL or dyno sheet? If not. when does tq cross 300 ft lbs? And where (rpm) is peak tq?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Glad that you are happy with the current setup on your car. Are you running stock injectors, or did you just forget to put that on your list?

And I can definitely second the fact that the FP Red is a great turbo. I have had mine on for a few weeks now, and the car has been a blast to drive.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We actually got a few VDR pulls in the 440s with a 444 pull for the highest at 27.5psi peak boost on straight 93 octane pump gas But i pulled the timing back a degree or so just to be on the safer side of things as Steven "OP" likes to stay on the safer side of things as much as possible and it averaged 430s like this. And I dont blame him on wanting to be a little safer and sacrifice a few HP to do so as he has a lot of $ tied up in his car.

I will post up a VDR run for you all to see here shortly... I have to get on my lap top to do so.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 97TSiAWD
Glad that you are happy with the current setup on your car. Are you running stock injectors, or did you just forget to put that on your list?

And I can definitely second the fact that the FP Red is a great turbo. I have had mine on for a few weeks now, and the car has been a blast to drive.
He has Semien Deka 880s in the car.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

whoops I forgot about the injectors and my glory pull ! ya it was pretty sweet !

post up them charts, show them folks what snake tuning is all about !
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Here is 2 back to back pulls.

Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Very Nice!!

I love VDR.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

VDR FTW!! SOOO much nicer then DLL. I have both and i never use DLL anymore lol. You can use VDR with pretty much any car now. I can even use it with my AEM i just have to manually enter the data. Jack_of_Trades FTW!

Last edited by Colt4g63; Sep 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

What dyno???
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NitrousOxide
What dyno???
They are using Jack_of_Trades' Virtual Dyno Room program (an Excel spreadsheet that does the calculations based on time, gearing, and RPM).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...simulator.html
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 97TSiAWD
They are using Jack_of_Trades' Virtual Dyno Room program (an Excel spreadsheet that does the calculations based on time, gearing, and RPM).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...simulator.html
How accurate is it? Is it comparable to a DynoJet or Mustang?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
How accurate is it? Is it comparable to a DynoJet or Mustang?
Its actually VERY accurate and repeatable! Myself and Mellon have both compared it to the Dyno Jets we dyno on back to back... This is where Jack got his Dyno Jet Average from. The dyno jet i dyno on is a little lower reading and Mellons was a little higher reading. I had to use 1.10 correction factor and Mellon had to use 1.12 correction factor... hence the 1.11 dyno jet correction factor on VDR Do some reading on it in Jacks thread about it.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Colt -- I love the curve and numbers this setup is putting down, but wish it came in 1K rpm earlier....I am running 91 + Meth, what do you think would be the ticket to have the hp still climbing or flat at redline, but hitting peak tq ~@4K? Thanks in advance...

PS -- I have been looking at the BBK Full, HTA Green, and the Red....

Quick Reply: 06 mr finally where i want to be 430!