Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red Supporting Mod. bottlenecks...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2009, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Red Supporting Mod. bottlenecks...

I have just ordered an FP Red for my IX MR. I have the below listed power mods. How much of a bottleneck is the HFC, stock intake manifold, stock head (and springs) and stock ignition? For now, I'm just getting tuned for 93 oct. Later, I will add alcohol injection...

Ported and coated O2 housing and exhaust manifold
Buschur TBE w/HFC
Perrin Intake
Cosworth Cams
Exedy Twin
PTE 1000cc Injectors
AMS IC & Pipes

Thanks to all in advance.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a great mod list, but to get the most out of the turbo,

valvetrain to rev with the powerband
test pipe
02 housing wastegate dump
port match the intake mani and throttle body

with all that on meth tuned, your looking at an easy high 400whp, and depending on the tuner and dyno you may even hit low 500's with an aggressive tune
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

id get a buschur coated/ported exhaust manifold also. i'm doing a red also. i just picked up the shearer o2 dump, and i want to see how it does on the dyno. i've heard they suck and they are awesome. i guess ill find out.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:06 PM

I've got a ported and coated exhaust manifold. I'm considering a MILSPEC HFC and MAPerformance ported stock intake manifold (rev2 or 3)... Later, with the Aquamist setup, I might add a Shearer exhaust manifold. You know how it is, you're never quite finished...

Last edited by speedypeat; Aug 22, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:12 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedypeat
I have just ordered an FP Red for my IX MR. I have the below listed power mods. How much of a bottleneck is the HFC, stock intake manifold, stock head (and springs) and stock ignition? For now, I'm just getting tuned for 93 oct. Later, I will add alcohol injection...

Ported and coated O2 housing and exhaust manifold
Buschur TBE w/HFC
Perrin Intake
Cosworth Cams
Exedy Twin
PTE 1000cc Injectors
AMS IC & Pipes

Thanks to all in advance.
You sir have a great taste in mods. Don't sweat the head, IM, and IGN. You'll make great power as you sit.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks. I recently had my 60,000 mile service done along with my clutch and was talked into the Red. I really wasn't planning on touching the car until next Spring, but a conversation with the guys at the shop about the relative merits of the BBK Full and FP Red twisted my arm (and thus I twisted my wife's arm, figuratively)... Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm not half stepping...
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:16 PM

half steeping is the worse thing i think you can do... if your going to do it all out one shot ive mad that mistake before
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a ported and coated exhaust manifold. I'm considering a MILSPEC HFC and MAPerformance ported stock intake manifold (rev2 or 3)... Later, with the Aquamist setup, I might add a Shearer exhaust manifold. You know how it is, you're never quite finished...
i would just go with a test pipe. its just going to rob hp.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I recently had my 60,000 mile service done along with my clutch and was talked into the Red. I really wasn't planning on touching the car until next Spring, but a conversation with the guys at the shop about the relative merits of the BBK Full and FP Red twisted my arm (and thus I twisted my wife's arm, figuratively)... Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm not half stepping...
like said befor, nice mod list. if you wanted to top it off with a ported/ match exhaust ports and mani, couldnt hurt with spool time. could also toss some springs in the head, along with new head gasket and timing belt, and arp head studs while your there. your going to have to do the timing sooner or later.

i know thats a couple $100 list but. that would top off what your trying to do.
GL!!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 04:27 AM

When I got the 60,000 mile service, my belts were changed along with my head gasket, so I'm good to go on those fronts. Also, I forgot to mention I already have ARP headstuds and a Whinebro...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Are you on the stock FMIC??? If so, you'll need to upgrade that for sure with the Red if you plan on running a decent amount of boost (and you want to make power). The stock FMIC is fine for the stock turbo on relatively low boost, but can get heat soaked fairly quickly.

Good luck
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:27 AM

No, AMS IC and Pipes...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

i would recommend springs and retainers as well. might as well if you want to get the most out of the high powerband and the cams. better safe now. nice mod list you will love the new found power with the red
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:17 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
i would recommend springs and retainers as well. might as well if you want to get the most out of the high powerband and the cams. better safe now. nice mod list you will love the new found power with the red
Agreed. He might already have springs though
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he still has stock springs.

the mil.spec cat is a quality unit, i still made decent power with it. so if you really want to keep a cat (noise, smell, whatever), id get that...otherwise, buy a test pipe