Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dogbox

Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D420mac
The whine is fine It really dosen't bother me. ok thanks mike for your input. It hought the carbonetix tripple was a good clutch, I've never heard anything bad about them. I liked my Excedy twin much better though. Like I said I don't drive it much on the street, occasionally I do, but I drive this car maybe once a week when I'm home, maybe I'll give it a try. I might buy a wrecked 8 trans and build it into a dog box. It seems like it fits my driving style, if not I can always go back to the shep 5.
id read around more.. They explode on numerous occasions and take out tranny with them.. I have seen it 2x.. not to mention the rigged slave cyl setup.. no other clutch compares to tilton full carbon for drag.. IMO..

MIke
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL I love the wine mine makes now, but I'll just have to drive with the windows down if it becomes unbearable. I'm getting excited to possibly get one, this may be what this high HP car needs to make it perform the way I want it to and it sounds like it is going to fit my driving style, very well. is the dog box 5 gears or 4? my only condern is highway when I say take it out on the weekends usually it's to the shop and most of that is highway. So depressing the clutch say at a light, and banging it into gear you, no issues getting into gear without the syncro?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Damn I just put in the Carbonetix, and it felt good had a nice mid way engagement, and then after some driving began engaging off the floor, tried to make petal adjustments, and bled the lines a few times, it dodn't fix it. apparently it's a bit better now I'm not home it's at the shop, but the shop is still concerened that when it heats up it'll change the engagement point.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

is the dog box 5 gears or 4?
Depends on what dogbox you end up getting. My Hollinger is a 5 speed, Shep offers two (that I know of) which are made by PPG. One is designed for Group N rally cars (i.e. cars that need to hit ~120mph by 6,000rpm) and has all 5 as dog gears. The drag box uses 1st-4th dog gears and then a standard 5th gear. That might be which way you want to go so you can cruise it on the highway.

my only condern is highway when I say take it out on the weekends usually it's to the shop and most of that is highway. So depressing the clutch say at a light, and banging it into gear you, no issues getting into gear without the syncro?
Sitting at a light with the car in neutral, you depress the clutch and push the lever into 1st. You'll hear a bit of a 'clunk' and that's it. I never really noticed that you needed to slam 1st, just a gentle push into gear. Of course when downshifting into 1st, do it quick, but at a stop, I didn't ever see a difference. When going for other gears, either upshifting or downshifting, use of the clutch is optional. I found with the Hollinger, if I upshifted before touching 2,000rpm, the shifts are normal, like a synchro box. Any time you're over 2,000rpm you have to shift it real quick.

Dave
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

ok that's what I thought yeah the shep dog dox is what I'm looking at. Man thanks alot for the info. The clutch is optional, I like that, lol do you prefer to use it or not? do you let off the throttle or WOT shift at the track? Just putting around on the street I'm assuming the use of the clutch is preferred, or it will have no effect? I'm guessing I'll have to figure it out on my own, but it would feel wierd shifting without the clutch at high rpm's. I'm so used to stomp clutch/let off the gas shift, stomp gas, in about half a second, it's almost one movement, I do it all at once.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

No worries, glad to help.

I've heard conflicting stories on the clutch, whether it makes it easier on the box or not. What I have noticed is that with the clutch depressed or not, I still hear the same clunk when its put in the next gear. Either way, I typically lift slightly to unload the gears, then grab the next one (similar to what you'd do on a motorcycle or shifter kart).
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

ok makes sense, it seems it would be difficult sifting it under load. I have the NLTS patch so I may just stay full throttle, and depress the clutch. I'll have to do a bit of experimenting. I'm also very familiar with non clutching bikes (dirt bikes), so that should come natural.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I had a PPG straight cut 1-4 dog box with stock 5th in my WRX. I loved it, and never had any issues. I put about 6500 miles on it, with about 10-12 hard track days. With the stock 6spd I couldn't break the 10sec mark with 545whp. After breaking in the dog box I took the car to the track and dropped 2 tenths of second. I noticed that after my Exedy Twin, I dropped another tenth of a second from my previous ACT. This car was DD for about 4-5 months, with daily 10miles of hwy usage and it wasn't to bad. If I had the money now I would put one in my Evo.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I've decided to get it this winter!! I can't Wait!!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Mike, and Dave, I have a question. I was planning on doing the dog box with a normal helical cut 5th dual syncro'ed, for highway.
I recently heard from a friend that some people have been having issues with the dual Syncro on 5th, and I was wondering if you had any input on this. I have also decided to go with a tilton clutch, is there one you would recommend, I'm putting down 711 whp with 603.9 tq. Ok guy's let me know what you think, any suggestions would be good.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Can't say I have a recommendation or experience to help on those questions. I'm running a standard shep street/strip rebuild in the car now and its good.

I've used both the Exedy twin and triple clutches and haven't found any real issues...well, I can get the triple to slip when its cold by laying into the throttle at 3k rpm in 3rd gear & up.

Dave
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

I say do it man.... And definitely think about running the tephra patch and use No Lift To Shift!! I bet you could have some pretty smooth Clutch-Less shifts with that.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

I already have the NLTS Patch, it's a bit terrifying to do it actually. The car is so damn fast, I almost want an automatic tranny for the track. Ok Well The reason why I asked is I could keep a single syncro on the 5th gear, or do the dual syncro, I'm just not sure what would be better.

Yeah I used to have an EXEDY twin plate, and I was very happy with it, I now have a Carbonetic triple, and it sucks!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:12 PM

Did you ever get the dog box? if so, how do you like it?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

looks like he sold it

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...nsmission.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dogbox